Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Totp 1976

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Anyone been watching the Top of the Pops reruns on BBC4? Hasnt aged well, and the charts seemed really slow moving in those days - took weeks to get to Number 1

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That's because you had to sell more than 25 records to get there.

Today is one number tomorrow, down to number 50 next week, forgotton the week after. It very rare now to for a number one not to enter the charts at number one. Then it only happened once a decade back then.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Jebus it was easy to see the world was screaming out for Punk just one year later, it was so gull back then !!!

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Jebus it was easy to see the world was screaming out for Punk just one year later, it was so gull back then !!!

Nah. Punk was already happening in 1976, The world had been screaming out for it for at least 3 years, (Check the charts 1973 through 1976), but hadn't discovered it.
By '77 after the Grundy interview, it was mainstream, but still subversive, even though people started wearing uniforms.
By mid 78, (Sham 69 - Kids are united...), it was all over.

Some of the music continued... but the sheer energy had gone.
What a time though !

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Nah. Punk was already happening in 1976, The world had been screaming out for it for at least 3 years, (Check the charts 1973 through 1976), but hadn't discovered it.
By '77 after the Grundy interview, it was mainstream, but still subversive, even though people started wearing uniforms.
By mid 78, (Sham 69 - Kids are united...), it was all over.

Some of the music continued... but the sheer energy had gone.
What a time though !

I know what you're getting at but the movement morphed and while the Pistols and the first wave may have been jaded by '77 literally thousands of new bands sprung up with bucket loads of energy and not merely repeating the same punk formula. I can remember back to 77-82 with great fondness, they were indeed exciting times (and the Albion were in Div 1 to boot...).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I think it was happening but it was a pretty obscure movement. It really came into the public eye after the 100 Club punk festival in September (one of my big regrets in life was not making it to that) although the emergence of The Ramones, Patti Smith and Television on the other side of the pond in 1975 suggests that something was stirring.

I pointed out in a thread a couple of weeks ago that pop music in the early to mid 70s was as bad as it's ever been (and not just the charts). I was 15 in 1971 so it should have been my era but I bought so few records and a look at my collection reveals very albums after the 60s and before 1977. IMHO a truly dreadful time (although, as I found out, there are lots on NSC who profoundly disagree with this).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who the hell bought songs like that Our Kid and the puke inducing no 1 No Charge? Apart from Thin Lizzy (miming) and a rather tame Stones song it was absolute garbage, I was never a punk fan but I can 100% see why it came about if that programme was typical of the shite being served up.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Agreed, and the world is crying out for a punk, or musical revolution now!

Agree but the shock factor that punk brought with it couldn't be repeated. Has it all be done before, and are Jedward the benchmark for what the future holds?

This is a thread about charts, so I digress when I talk about how I saw the music scene then. Yes, Who, Zep, Sabbath and Tull etc had all run out of ideas and swallowed themselves in their own sauce. Genesis were a comparatively recent prog band but Gabriel saw them as having lost their way and stagnated I think. Rory Gallagher, Wishbone Ash, Camel, Caravan and King Crimson hadn't gone just because the radio wasn't playing them.

But there was a lot of great music - pub-rock revealed Dire Straits, Squeeze, GParker & Rumour, Costello and Dr Feelgood, and 'some' of the truer artists from glam and prog were still vital and good. Fleetwood Mac re-invented themselves with two new members, and The punk scene was emerging while a few seeds of the indie bands to follow were starting out.
It was about seeking out the good stuff, and where there was any perceivable 'lull' it just signaled you to go find out what was happening outside of what radio 1 was chucking out.

Never imagine the music scene is down to what the media put on your plate unless you want to be a fed sheep.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone been watching the Top of the Pops reruns on BBC4? Hasnt aged well, and the charts seemed really slow moving in those days - took weeks to get to Number 1
Nowadays a record enters at it's highest position, that was almost unheard of back in 1976.

Also can I just point out that TOTP was ALWAYS shit. Watching any 1970s episode, especially early 1970s when there was a massive divide between bands who made 'singles' and those who made albums, won't give you a good insight into the true nature of 1970s music

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is a thread about charts, so I digress when I talk about how I saw the music scene then. .

The charts were for kids and most of the bands you mention were album bands who may have had one or two minor singles hits. People who liked their music less force fed listened to albums and the Old Grey Whistle Test. For this very reason I had no idea how shit the singles charts were at the time, as I didn't listen to pop radio. It takes watching reruns of mid 70's TOTP to bring home just how dire it was.

I agree that most of the BIG bands of the time were disappearing up their own arses and I can see why music hungry young peoplr would have absolutely nothing in common with most of them

I remember pre-punk most young people seemed to get into rock as big fans of Status Quo, most moved on when they realised how simplistic it all was. I went to look at a car the other day and the guy who owned it was about 40. He showed me how great the stereo was was by playing his favourite band LOUD on the car stereo - It was Status Quo. I walked away from the car :lolol:

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think it was happening but it was a pretty obscure movement. It really came into the public eye after the 100 Club punk festival in September (one of my big regrets in life was not making it to that) although the emergence of The Ramones, Patti Smith and Television on the other side of the pond in 1975 suggests that something was stirring.

I pointed out in a thread a couple of weeks ago that pop music in the early to mid 70s was as bad as it's ever been (and not just the charts). I was 15 in 1971 so it should have been my era but I bought so few records and a look at my collection reveals very albums after the 60s and before 1977. IMHO a truly dreadful time (although, as I found out, there are lots on NSC who profoundly disagree with this).
There were the occasional gems such as slade, david bowie, alice cooper

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Punk started the year before. 6th November 1975, St martins college London.:thumbsup:

Anarchy was released 26th November, 1976 beaten by a week by New Rose by the Dammed.
Widely recognised as the the first punk single.

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is a thread about charts, so I digress when I talk about how I saw the music scene then. Yes, Who, Zep, Sabbath and Tull etc had all run out of ideas and swallowed themselves in their own sauce. Genesis were a comparatively recent prog band but Gabriel saw them as having lost their way and stagnated I think. Rory Gallagher, Wishbone Ash, Camel, Caravan and King Crimson hadn't gone just because the radio wasn't playing them.

But there was a lot of great music - pub-rock revealed Dire Straits, Squeeze, GParker & Rumour, Costello and Dr Feelgood, and 'some' of the truer artists from glam and prog were still vital and good. Fleetwood Mac re-invented themselves with two new members, and The punk scene was emerging while a few seeds of the indie bands to follow were starting out.
It was about seeking out the good stuff, and where there was any perceivable 'lull' it just signaled you to go find out what was happening outside of what radio 1 was chucking out.

Never imagine the music scene is down to what the media put on your plate unless you want to be a fed sheep.

From what I can remember Gabriel wanted more obscure type of music to be made and his excesses on stage became more of a Peter gabriel show, rather than a Genesis show....Tony Banks was determnined to write more "commercial" songs realising that the days of the huge "Suppers Ready" type concept songs were numbered and music was moving away towards the 3 minute flash bang of the Punk era....people blame a lot on Genesis declining in popularity to Collins, but in effect, his influence with Mike Rutherford's ability actually took them more down the commercial route. Certainly the albums Duke and Abacab were far more mainstream than The Lamb and Selling England!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here