Did you know Totnes is "independent and different"

• Yes I do know that, everyone does

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No, I didn't know that.

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters

albionite

May 20, 2009
I grew up in a village near totnes and it is where I went to school and it is a very well known place.

It is small with only c7000 residents. It is alternative hippy type type. The streets of totnes are like wandering around the lanes in brighton.

You should all have heard of totnes. It is said(mythical granted) to be the founding place of England when Brutus landed up the river dart and totnes was born closely followed by the rest of england. It has an ancient anglo Saxon castle which overlooks the town with views down the river dart. It is also the first place to cross the river dart as you move away from Dartmouth so is very busy.

It prides itself on being alternative and it does indeed have its own currency.

How many towns with only 7000 residents are as well known? When I tell people it is where I'm from they tend to have a little story about when they have been to the town.

Other reasons you may have heard of town

The Phillips yacht race boat was built there. The aim was to beat record for round the world.

Without a famous totnesian you may well not be reading this. Charles Babbage was educated at my old school and he invented the computer.

If you have not been there you should.

Nope never heard of it untill now. Will have to google map to see where it is

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I'd never even heard of Totnes TBH.

I love the place.... say no to corporates...... can I assume there is no Apple outlet Bozza?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Been there a few times and yes, know of it's reputation for avoiding chain businesses etc

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] are located a lot closer to it than most, so you're more likely to have heard of it.

I've heard of Totnes - of course I have. But I couldn't have told you anything about the place other than it's one of numerous small towns in the South-West.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I heard of Totnes when it was mentioned in a Young Ones episode or it may have been Monty Python come to think of it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I've heard of Totnes - of course I have. But I couldn't have told you anything about the place other than it's one of numerous small towns in the South-West.

It has the feel of Glastonbury but with a Gert river going through it. You can catch a boat down to Dartmouth........ good pubs and Ale.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I went to Devon in the "Summer" (it p*ss*d down) and visited Totnes, and thought it was very nice.

I also hate the amount of bloody coffee shops there are in the world now. What is it with bloody skinny latte decaf cafs with a mocha twist, and more to the point, the pretentious dicks that order it?

There. I've said it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I went to Devon in the "Summer" (it p*ss*d down) and visited Totnes, and thought it was very nice.

I also hate the amount of bloody coffee shops there are in the world now. What is it with bloody skinny latte decaf cafs with a mocha twist, and more to the point, the pretentious dicks that order it?

There. I've said it.

One of the weirdest looks you'd ever get (weirder even the standard look for Totnes) would be to go into a coffee shop and ask "Can I have a cup of coffee, please?"

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

There. I've said it.

That my friend is VERY Brighton.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

There. I've said it.

Also went to Devon this summer and spent a day in Totnes (it also p*ssed down). Was indeed very nice and had the most splendid cream tea. Splendid.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Has anyone ordered cake and the finest wines known to humanity in Penrith?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
All independant brew pubs no doubt?

A lot of good Devon Ales, how independent all the pubs are is another question of course.... Otter Ale is my favourite from that area, sold locally in the next village to where I live..... on a par with a good Harveys, when not sold in plastic glasses of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here