Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No, I didn't know that.

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Totnes was just a stop on the train journey I used to take to visit family in Devon.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I'm a great believer that competion is the best way to decide things. They should have let Costa come and then driven them out of competition by offering a better product at a better price. To me it feels snobbish.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I thought what everybody knew was that it was Totally Opposed To New Espresso Shop.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I'm a great believer that competion is the best way to decide things. They should have let Costa come and then driven them out of competition by offering a better product at a better price. To me it feels snobbish.

Well then that is a bit idiotic. As I said totnes is a tourist town and tourists will often go to a brand they know if they are just having one cup. This is therefore not an equal competition as people won't be aware of where is cheaper and better product and money would be taken out of the local economy. Good for totnes. Swap costa for Starbucks and money not just taken out of totnes but the country. Splendid.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
where is the "have the stupid prats kicked out the tax dodgers too?" option.

When their high street is reduced to a run of empty units that no-one wants and no-one visits they will be as "individual" as they want

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
where is the "have the stupid prats kicked out the tax dodgers too?" option.

When their high street is reduced to a run of empty units that no-one wants and no-one visits they will be as "individual" as they want

Totnes high street is booming. Very few empty units at all. Don't worry they will be fine. Money stays in the local economy and the business rates are sensible.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Having lived in Plymouth for 10 years, we have visited Totnes on many occasions. When we first came down here we thought that Totnes was full of inbreds, hippies, bohemian types etc and we were not far wrong.
But once you get the hang of the place, you grow to really like it, it is like a mixture of The Laines (Lanes) and Lewes X2. There is a real buzz in the town, lots of independants trying to do well with the town and council behind them. Its different to any other place I have visited and I think they deserve to protect the reputation they have built up over many years,a reputation that brings tourists in, so they do not want them going into Costas.
They do have odd people, but no odder than some in Lewes and other Sussex country towns (hello Heathfield)
Never seen Harveys there, but they are more than happy with local Devon Ales and if course the fabulous, in my opinion, Cornish Ales.
Its win win for Totnes, not only the above, but it is surrounded by the most beautiful countryside (the south hams), close to the tourist resorts, the river trip to Dartmouth is stunning and close to Dartmoor.
It is not fair to knock Totnes unless you have visited or even heard of it. It is a unique, querky and independant town, nowt wrong with that.
Bristol now has its own currency too.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I am only aware of the place due to a song by one of my favourite bands Half Man Half Biscuit. Sounds like the lyrics have nailed the place pretty well (apart from the last line, which is just plain odd).

TOTNES BICKERING FAIR

So much for your journey of self-discovery
You had to cut it short, forgot your credit card
The decree nisi came through this morning
And I just called to say

I’m gonna feed our children non-organic food
And with the money saved take ‘em to the zoo

You quoted Goldman incorrectly as we strolled
Your stab at solar heating just left me cold
I want a sun tan, not Vashti Bunyan
Therefore henceforth

I’m gonna feed our children non-organic food etc etc

That donkey which you vowed to rescue done gone died
So on its behalf…

I’m gonna feed our children non-organic food etc etc

Not long now before lollipop men are called Darren

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Has anyone ordered cake and the finest wines known to humanity in Penrith?

Been to Penrith, but not for cakes and wine. But I am guessing that the wine came from a local vineyard called Camel Valley Vineyard. Their wine is something else, the sparkling is as good and often better than many champagnes, but they are not allowed to call it champagne. They have won many gold awards over the years, beating the French and Australians. The Red, White and Rose is also top notch.
They had the sense to bring in a top French wine maker to advise and they went on from there.
It is quite expensive, you can get it at Waitrose but well worth it. If you are ever down in North Cornwall the full tour and tasting is a must.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im struggleing with the idea of 41 coffee shops in one town of 7k people. obviously theres a tourist trade, but really 41. are there any other shops? and are they in fact any good.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is great to see pretty much all media outlets are running the totnes story. It was on bbc,itv, guardian, telegraph, the sun, metro etc. read about it over breakfast tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here