Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Total carnage...

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Tell me about it. Scary when you need to work overtime (at single rate) to make your hours up to the equivalent of full time. Got sent home today after 90 minutes when I should have been there from 9 to 530. Went home 45 minutes early yesterday. At least tomorrow I wont get screwed - its my day off. :ohmy:

Theres some people who I work with who havent actually got a contract, and they just work on overtime every month. Now theres this big 'overtime ban', these people havent got any hours. These people have family's and bills to pay.

Luckily for me I have a contract, but am still getting sent home early everyday I work. Not that im complaining because I don't need the money:lolol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Theres some people who I work with who havent actually got a contract, and they just work on overtime every month. Now theres this big 'overtime ban', these people havent got any hours. These people have family's and bills to pay.

Luckily for me I have a contract, but am still getting sent home early everyday I work. Not that im complaining because I don't need the money:lolol:
I still need the money to pay the bills but we are lucky that there isn't the burden of a mortgage on top to pay as well.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I still need the money to pay the bills but we are lucky that there isn't the burden of a mortgage on top to pay as well.

Yeh I can imagine, like many people I work with. Its worrying, but at least no-one has lost their jobs, yet.
Luckily im only 16, so I don't have bills, etc. Still it is worrying.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
If you are supplying a supermarket there doesn't seem to a particularly free market.

There'll be clauses saying you can't supply to another else, they'll be clauses saying you have to use a certain type of packaging and the big one saying this is what YOU will charge us...

.. you can go on.

There's even been cases of supermarkets agreeing a price and then suddenly lowering that price in the middle of a contract.

Yeah - that's the free market. Whatever the biggest companies want, they get.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yeh I can imagine, like many people I work with. Its worrying, but at least no-one has lost their jobs, yet.
Luckily im only 16, so I don't have bills, etc. Still it is worrying.
If they cutback any further some positions might go , with another review. Last year there was 8 of us covering the Greeters role throughout the week , now it has been trimmed back only 3 do it.

Last edited:

StoneGoldSober

Dec 31, 2008
Tesco, Morrisons and another Supermarket I can't remember have just created 20,000 new jobs, bet the BBC don't tell you that on the news tonight, only interested on doom and making it feel worse for everybody.[/QU

media has a lot to answer for. great post

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
lidl was the other supermarket. also read Game increased profits by some 30% or so and Premier Foods (Hovis and other household foods) increased sales by 10% (big number in selling bread).

BBC's Peston precipitated much of the banking crisis by scoping the story about RBS before they could sort things out, making the story self fulfilling. he's an annoying shit a channel changer for me.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
These new jobs are only replacing those lost elsewhere. Iceland , for instance have bought 51 Woolworth sites and when they reopen as Iceland supermarkets will probably take on a high proportion of ex Woolies staff. Nearly all the jobs created will be part time between 3 and 25 hours a week.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
These new jobs are only replacing those lost elsewhere. Iceland , for instance have bought 51 Woolworth sites and when they reopen as Iceland supermarkets will probably take on a high proportion of ex Woolies staff. Nearly all the jobs created will be part time between 3 and 25 hours a week.

Iceland are doing well at the moment, growing business. Min hours is 7.5

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
If they cutback any further some positions might go , with another review. Last year there was 8 of us covering the Greeters role throughout the week , now it has been trimmed back only 3 do it.

Id love to do the greeting:lolol:

What department are you on?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Id love to do the greeting:lolol:

What department are you on?
Checkouts. The greeters job is now basically a back up for security rather than being front of house and helping people. :(

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
All the contract staff where I'm working at the moment were told today to expect voluntary redundancy letters through the door in the next few days. As a freelancer, I've got work this week and next and then that's pretty much it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Cool. We have three greeters over the week, but if any of them arent around anyone does it, its a bit of a joke.
I still do the occasional 30 minute stint when covering their meal breaks. Luckily , my blue jacket and white shirts are in the wardrobe and I dont have to wear them anymore. :laugh:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

And replacing jobs with much lower wages as well.............

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All the contract staff where I'm working at the moment were told today to expect voluntary redundancy letters through the door in the next few days. As a freelancer, I've got work this week and next and then that's pretty much it.
What a shit start to 2009 , hope you get something sorted soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here