Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Total carnage...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So its hardly going to get the economy growing again.

Exactly the point as if people are made redundant then jobs paying less they will strugle to get a mortgage or credit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nearly all the jobs created will be part time between 3 and 25 hours a week.

as were many of those Woolies jobs. alot of the reported large scale job losses are part time, contractors, natural wastage (retire, leave to have children, career move) and unfilled positions. My company lost 80 of its head count last year as part of restructuring, looking at possible further cuts... but an IT audit of number of PCs in use increased over the year :shrug: and we've just taken on about 30 new "consultants" for a project. headlines dont tell half the story.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
as were many of those Woolies jobs. alot of the reported large scale job losses are part time, contractors, natural wastage (retire, leave to have children, career move) and unfilled positions. My company lost 80 of its head count last year as part of restructuring, looking at possible further cuts... but an IT audit of number of PCs in use increased over the year :shrug: and we've just taken on about 30 new "consultants" for a project. headlines dont tell half the story.

Interesting point. On Radio 5 a few weeks ago someone was saying that there are still half a million unfilled job vacancies in the UK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw that myself - shocking. The power to possibly enforce redundancies in another industry, thus dampening the effect of the recession on themselves.

The supermarkets play that game all along. I read examples of how one particular shop wanted to do a buy two get one free promotion and the farmer was forced to supply the free one.

That ain't free market capitalism by any definition.

Tesco have pretty much killed off farming in this country. Now they want builders.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Interesting point. On Radio 5 a few weeks ago someone was saying that there are still half a million unfilled job vacancies in the UK.

These vacancies are unfilled because of the huge number of Poles , Lithuanians , Latvians and Estonians who have recently returned home. I would say that 95% of these vacancies are for mainly unskilled labour and pay national minimum wage which people on benefits are not prepared to take as their standard of living would drop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here