Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Me as well. I realised the other day that my dad was my age, 50, in 1997. And he couldn't bring himself to vote Labour because he 'remembered what they were like in the 70's', so went and put a cross by the Referendum Party.

They say people get more Tory with age, and i can believe it, i mean I'm personally 'more' Tory than i was at 20, albeit still a long long way from actually voting Tory. But also I wonder how much of is to do with memories of the Wilson government, with the strikes, three day weeks, rubbish going uncollected. Not to relitigate those times, because i wasnt really there, but memories of a bad government can last a lifetime. Those specific recollections will die out soon enough, to be replaced perhaps by an older generation that will always hate the Tories.
I am in my 70's and have intensely disliked the Tories and what they represent, most of my adult life. But this lot are a different breed to the point where I despise everything about them - greedy, self-serving ,racist, mysoginistic,corrupt and liars ( other suitable descriptions are available ). I certainly haven't got more Tory as I've got older, in fact, quite the opposite.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am in my 70's and have intensely disliked the Tories and what they represent, most of my adult life. But this lot are a different breed to the point where I despise everything about them - greedy, self-serving ,racist, mysoginistic,corrupt and liars ( other suitable descriptions are available ). I certainly haven't got more Tory as I've got older, in fact, quite the opposite.
Similar for me. I rejoined the Labour party as soon as Starmer became leader.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Johnny Mercer urged to apologise for accusing Labour rival of lying about military service​

Johnny Mercer has been urged to apologise for accusing his Labour general election rival of lying about his military service and withdraw the “deeply disrespectful” remarks. The veterans minister, who is standing for re-election in Plymouth, Moor View, has been widely condemned for suggesting former Royal Marine Fred Thomas lied about leading men into combat to boost his political career.

His (Thomas) Certificate of Valediction notes that Mr Thomas gained “considerable operational experience relative to the time you have served”. It notes Mr Thomas “command on operations overseas” which saw him “lead personnel…in a range of hostile and challenging environments”. Mr Thomas “embodied the finest traditions of the Service, you can be immensely proud of your career”, it said. The document is signed by an unnamed Lieutenant Colonel, the Commanding Officer of the Special Forces Support Group.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...lymouth-general-election-labour-b2566791.html

Interesting background article from when Fred Thomas was selected for the seat 10 months ago

Ex-marine chosen by Labour to stand against Johnny Mercer in Plymouth​

Conservative leaflets have sought to highlight Mercer’s 10-year career in the army. He has written a book about his three tours of Afghanistan, in which he referred to his time working with special forces.

Thomas learned to read and write Arabic, studied in Egypt shortly after the Arab Spring, and was there while there was a coup against the Muslim Brotherhood. After signing up to the military, he became the Royal Marines’ light heavyweight boxing champion. He also served in combat missions before leaving the corps in February, but remains tightlipped about the details. Asked if he served with special forces, as sources have claimed, Thomas declined to comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ur-to-stand-against-johnny-mercer-in-plymouth

The faintest whiff of a bruised ego ???

Last edited:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Me too!

I simply detest them.

Last edited:

My parents bought me up as never voting for the tories. We were quite a poor family and I've never voted for them and never will. I feel the same way even though not poor in relation to my parents and childhood days. I detest the current lot and hope they get wiped out although I have a feeling they will do far better than polls suggest purely because the older generation who generally make sure they vote in comparison to the younger generation..

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory cheerleader stoking the rumours of a cabinet minister being involved in Rishi’s election batting scandal.

So who would you put your money on?
  • Rishi Sunak MP, Prime Minister - 2/1
  • Oliver Dowden CBE MP, Deputy PM - 5/1
  • Jeremy Hunt MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer - 10/1
  • Lord David Cameron, Foreign Secretary - 3/1
  • James Cleverly MP, Home Secretary - 8/1
  • Grant Shapps MP, Defence Secretary - 8/11F
  • Alex Chalk KC MP, Justice Secretary -
  • Michelle Donelan MP, Secretary of State for Science, Innovation and Technology - 12/1
  • Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities - 5/2
  • Victoria Atkins MP, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care - 10/1
  • Steve Barclay MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - 2/1
  • Penny Mordaunt MP, Lord President of the Council, Leader of the House of Commons - 15/1
  • Lord True CBE, Lord Privy Seal, Leader of the House of Lords - 12/1
  • Kemi Badenoch MP, Secretary of State for Business and Trade, President of the Board - 5/1
  • Claire Coutinho MP, Secretary of State for Energy Security and Net Zero - 4/1
  • Mel Stride MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions - 9/2
  • Gillian Keegan MP, Secretary of State for Education - 12/1
  • Mark Harper MP, Secretary of State for Transport - 15/1
  • Lucy Frazer KC MP, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport - 7/2
  • Richard Holden MP, Minister without Portfolio - 1/1
  • Chris Heaton-Harris MP, Secretary of State - for Northern Ireland - 8/1
  • Alister Jack MP, Secretary of State for Scotland - 20/1
  • David TC Davies MP, Secretary of State for Wales - 8/1

The Times are now reporting that there is a 4th ‘senior’ Tory being investigated for placing ‘dozens’ of Election date bets.

This could be a big hitter?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Times are now reporting that there is a 4th ‘senior’ Tory being investigated for placing ‘dozens’ of Election date bets.

This could be a big hitter?
I bet it.... oh.

The frequency of betting increase just before the announcement, posted on here by someone, suggests that a whole collective noun of them (shower?) placed bets.

Tories using insider info to enrich themselves? Surely not? ???

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A senior Conservative official has become the fourth party figure subject to an investigation by the gambling watchdog, amid reports he placed dozens of bets on the timing of the election before it was announced.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
A senior Conservative official has become the fourth party figure subject to an investigation by the gambling watchdog, amid reports he placed dozens of bets on the timing of the election before it was announced.
It's someone called Nick Mason, the Tory Party's chief data officer (and not Pink Floyd's - and Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - drummer).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's someone called Nick Mason, the Tory Party's chief data officer (and not Pink Floyd's - and Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - drummer).
‘Data officer ‘ you say? I’d wager that this character is the ‘ring leader’.

I’d also bet that a sweep of his phone would give investigators all the other Tory suspects who were sent a message like this a few weeks ago: Go big on a 4th July Election date 😉 💷 💷 👍🏻

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Has Sunak actually had a good day yet in the campaign? For a few minutes yesterday I actually started feeling sorry for him.

Now that's not healthy

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Has Sunak actually had a good day yet in the campaign? For a few minutes yesterday I actually started feeling sorry for him.

Now that's not healthy
In comparison to the type of day he is going to have on July 5th, I’d say he’s had a number of good days during this campaign! 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here