Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well actually it's a group of voters that is getting bigger all the time, and will keep doing so for another decade or two. It's not a long term strategy, but it should win an election or two in the meantime.

Well, not this one, nor the next one, but possibly the one after that :p
They'll need to have short memories of how dire our current predicament is. To think that Cameron and Osborne had the brass neck to speak of Broken Britain in 2010. New Labour got its fingers burned for cosying up to the financial sector but, beyond that, they left things behind in good shape. Now pretty much everything is, at best, on its knees and, if not, approaching collapse.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Laura Saunders who is being investigated by the gambling commission is threatening to sue the BBC for covering the story.

“Breach of her privacy” she claims.

😂😂

The brass neck on the fucker.
You've worked your way through the Tories ranks having joined the party at 18 and the first opportunity to bag a few hundred quid, I'll av some of that.

Thick as mince and now doubling down

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Fun fact in the wake of the news Sunak might be the first sitting PM to lose his seat, at the last Labour landslide in 1997 John Major’s, the last decent Tory leader, percentage majority actually went up in Huntingdon.
I imagine it's because despite his party's deep unpopularity at the time, he wasn't generally regarded as an utter c***.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I genuinely don't understand Tories' thinking: everything they do is designed to appeal to 65+, a group of voters that is literally dying out. What future do they have?
As so often during the last 14 years, they aren’t thinking about the long term. They’re desperate to fight a fire right now and will do anything to cling to power,, with the future being someone else’s problem. From Austerity to Brexit to HS2 to Net Zero, it’s always about the next hour / day / week and hang the future problems.

Jul 20, 2003
As so often during the last 14 years, they aren’t thinking about the long term. They’re desperate to fight a fire right now and will do anything to cling to power,, with the future being someone else’s problem. From Austerity to Brexit to HS2 to Net Zero, it’s always about the next hour / day / week and hang the future problems.

'A society grows great when old men plant trees in who's shade they know they will never sit'. Greek Proverb

'There's no such thing as society'. Tory Proverb.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well actually it's a group of voters that is getting bigger all the time, and will keep doing so for another decade or two. It's not a long term strategy, but it should win an election or two in the meantime.

Well, not this one, nor the next one, but possibly the one after that :p
In 15 or so years most Gen Xs will be over 60. I can't speak for all of them but certainly me and my friends from that era would all rather shit in our hands and clap than vote Tory.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's utterly bonkers. One thing we know that Labour is planning to do is to give votes to 16 and 17 year-olds. So, as well as the 18-23 age group voting for the first time, he's reinforced in the minds of teenagers that the Tories are hostile to them - that's a massive tranche of first-time voters (and their parents) whose votes they could be attracting.

I genuinely don't understand Tories' thinking: everything they do is designed to appeal to 65+, a group of voters that is literally dying out. What future do they have?
They were saying on the news the other day that millions of potentially first time voters in that age bracket haven't registered to vote. So, the Tories are betting (ha!) on not losing votes of voters that aren't going to vote anyway.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So, Tory candidate and Veterans Minister Johnny Mercer lowering the bar as far as it will go accusing Fred Thomas of lying about his military service because he won’t answer questions about it at the hustings.

It’s not the done thing to talk about your service when you were involved in special forces operations, I’m sure the vast majority of Plymouth voters will see through this vile attack.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So, Tory candidate and Veterans Minister Johnny Mercer lowering the bar as far as it will go accusing Fred Thomas of lying about his military service because he won’t answer questions about it at the hustings.

It’s not the done thing to talk about your service when you were involved in special forces operations, I’m sure the vast majority of Plymouth voters will see through this vile attack.

The Plymouth Herald has published the story, complete with a Certificate of Valediction from an unnamed Lieutenant Colonel backing Fred Thomas.

Mercer has since deleted his post, and could be referred to the Electoral Commission for attacking his political opponent.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's got a bit more complicated than that over the last few hours, Labour press office confirming that certain things printed about their candidate aren't true, if not potentially his fault. I'm not sure either come out devoid of criticism.

That said, Mercer is really one I'd like to see gone. Supporting veterans is one thing (good), but politicising the military for your own political career is not a good look.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Said copy from the Special Forces.

Yes, but that does not confirm what had been reported in the press that the candidate didn't correct.

Mercer is a huge arse and an odd one at that. A very strange character. Labour decided to put another ex-soldier up against him and that's where it starts. The military being used as a PR game.

You've ended up with two ex-footballers arguing about whether they actually played in a Rumberlows Cup semi final, but were actually on the bench. With all due respect to any any ex-military, it's being played out exactly like that on Twitter.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory cheerleader stoking the rumours of a cabinet minister being involved in Rishi’s election batting scandal.

So who would you put your money on?
  • Rishi Sunak MP, Prime Minister - 2/1
  • Oliver Dowden CBE MP, Deputy PM - 5/1
  • Jeremy Hunt MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer - 10/1
  • Lord David Cameron, Foreign Secretary - 3/1
  • James Cleverly MP, Home Secretary - 8/1
  • Grant Shapps MP, Defence Secretary - 8/11F
  • Alex Chalk KC MP, Justice Secretary -
  • Michelle Donelan MP, Secretary of State for Science, Innovation and Technology - 12/1
  • Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities - 5/2
  • Victoria Atkins MP, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care - 10/1
  • Steve Barclay MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - 2/1
  • Penny Mordaunt MP, Lord President of the Council, Leader of the House of Commons - 15/1
  • Lord True CBE, Lord Privy Seal, Leader of the House of Lords - 12/1
  • Kemi Badenoch MP, Secretary of State for Business and Trade, President of the Board - 5/1
  • Claire Coutinho MP, Secretary of State for Energy Security and Net Zero - 4/1
  • Mel Stride MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions - 9/2
  • Gillian Keegan MP, Secretary of State for Education - 12/1
  • Mark Harper MP, Secretary of State for Transport - 15/1
  • Lucy Frazer KC MP, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport - 7/2
  • Richard Holden MP, Minister without Portfolio - 1/1
  • Chris Heaton-Harris MP, Secretary of State - for Northern Ireland - 8/1
  • Alister Jack MP, Secretary of State for Scotland - 20/1
  • David TC Davies MP, Secretary of State for Wales - 8/1

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, but that does not confirm what had been reported in the press that the candidate didn't correct.

Mercer is a huge arse and an odd one at that. A very strange character. Labour decided to put another ex-soldier up against him and that's where it starts. The military being used as a PR game.

You've ended up with two ex-footballers arguing about whether they actually played in a Rumberlows Cup semi final, but were actually on the bench. With all due respect to any any ex-military, it's being played out exactly like that on Twitter.
Mercer’s words were ‘he served two minutes and never in a combat zone - a Walter Mitty.’

He knows FT cannot say where he served as Special Ops, but he served for seven years, and was promoted to Captain. The certificate of valediction is extremely unusual.

It‘s a smear campaign that has completely misfired from what I can see. Supposedly, one veteran got up and walked out from the hustings, but many more are standing up for him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jonny Mercer is a creepy person, who has fallen foul before, boasting he’s never met a straight woman who didn’t fancy him.

He also thinks food banks are a lifestyle choice.

A few months ago, I answered a tweet of his, saying Fred Thomas will win his seat, and he blocked me. What a melt.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
In 15 or so years most Gen Xs will be over 60. I can't speak for all of them but certainly me and my friends from that era would all rather shit in our hands and clap than vote Tory.

Me as well. I realised the other day that my dad was my age, 50, in 1997. And he couldn't bring himself to vote Labour because he 'remembered what they were like in the 70's', so went and put a cross by the Referendum Party.

They say people get more Tory with age, and i can believe it, i mean I'm personally 'more' Tory than i was at 20, albeit still a long long way from actually voting Tory. But also I wonder how much of is to do with memories of the Wilson government, with the strikes, three day weeks, rubbish going uncollected. Not to relitigate those times, because i wasnt really there, but memories of a bad government can last a lifetime. Those specific recollections will die out soon enough, to be replaced perhaps by an older generation that will always hate the Tories.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Me as well. I realised the other day that my dad was my age, 50, in 1997. And he couldn't bring himself to vote Labour because he 'remembered what they were like in the 70's', so went and put a cross by the Referendum Party.

They say people get more Tory with age, and i can believe it, i mean I'm personally 'more' Tory than i was at 20, albeit still a long long way from actually voting Tory. But also I wonder how much of is to do with memories of the Wilson government, with the strikes, three day weeks, rubbish going uncollected. Not to relitigate those times, because i wasnt really there, but memories of a bad government can last a lifetime. Those specific recollections will die out soon enough, to be replaced perhaps by an older generation that will always hate the Tories.
I do find many Tory voters bizarre - they'll say they can't possibly vote Labour because they remember the chaos of the 1970s (er, 50 years ago!), but they don't seem to remember the chaos and incompetence of the last 5 years.

I think a lot of Tory voters suffer from selective amnesia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here