Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Everyone is so desperate to be offended these days. A stupid non story about a stupid non joke
At a Downing Street reception, the Home Secretary joking about a rape drug being used on his wife.

Let me tell you what has changed, because you clearly have a very short memory.

Before you'd even heard the word "woke", before you'd even heard the phrase "political correctness" as a senior politician he'd be gone.

In 1970 Kenny Everett was by sacked the BBC for making an innocuous joke about the transport ministers wife's driving test.

These days they get away with anything, happily backed by your belief that they can't they say anything.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Everyone is so desperate to be offended these days. A stupid non story about a stupid non joke
If it's illegal, it's illegal - and so the Home Secretary, who is in charge of law and order, should not be saying 'it's okay to break the law so long as you only do it a bit'. That way lies anarchy.

Is stabbing someone okay, if it was just a 'little bit'?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. A ‘work do’.

Told to a group of women apparently.

I’d get sacked for the same.
Me too.

Happy Christmas, though, if you're still reading :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At a Downing Street reception, the Home Secretary joking about a rape drug being used on his wife.

Let me tell you what has changed, because you clearly have a very short memory.

Before you even heard the word "woke", before you even heard the phrase "political correctness" as a senior politician he'd be gone.

In 1970 Kenny Everett was by sacked the BBC for making an innocuous joke about the transport ministers wife's driving test.

These days they get away with anything, happily backed by your belief that they can't they say anything.
Roll on next year when they will be ploughed into the metaphorical ditch by the electorate. Shame we have to think about such filth on Christmas eve. Just a scroll though while between jollity A and jollity B, though. Have a lovely Christmas, CG. I salute your fortitude punk::bigwave:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course, joking about drugging a woman and rape is hilarious, especially from the man in charge of the police forces, courts and the criminal justice system, whilst in his place of work.

Jul 20, 2003
Why shouldn't you be allowed to tell jokes about sedating women with rape drugs when you hold a senior position in the U.K. government?

It's all about context.

I'm sure that following legislation being passed to tighten laws regarding prosecution for rape drugs was the perfect time to drop a zinger rape drug joke and was entirely appropriate to get some light hearted giggles.

I think it's the duty of the Home Secretary to make light or these matters and can't wait to hear his upcoming routine about spousal abuse ... I only wish I could be there to see it live.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
An Italian environmental technology investor who has lived in the UK for 14 years has discovered she could be removed despite getting a “permanent residency” card after Brexit.

She is one of potentially tens of thousands of EU citizens who were unaware the Home Office changed the rules in 2019 requiring them to apply for a different scheme, called EU settlement.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
An Italian environmental technology investor who has lived in the UK for 14 years has discovered she could be removed despite getting a “permanent residency” card after Brexit.

She is one of potentially tens of thousands of EU citizens who were unaware the Home Office changed the rules in 2019 requiring them to apply for a different scheme, called EU settlement.
I did say something, quite a while back, on the Brexit thread that some people were having problems but JCFG or pasta whatisface told me I was posting rubbish (well, more rubbish than I normally do).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This lot need to remember that they are public servants paid by the tax payer to do our bidding.
They may be public servants and they may be paid by the tax payer (which means precisely nothing - the fact I shop at Marks and Spencers doesn't give me any rights over the conduct of their Chief Executive who is paid by my payments for their goods), but they are definitely not there to do our bidding.

They are representatives, not delegates. There is a difference.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They may be public servants and they may be paid by the tax payer (which means precisely nothing - the fact I shop at Marks and Spencers doesn't give me any rights over the conduct of their Chief Executive who is paid by my payments for their goods), but they are definitely not there to do our bidding.

They are representatives, not delegates. There is a difference.
There is contempt of Parliament and misconduct in public office, which is usually accountable but this particular lot have got away with breaking those particular rules, time and time again, resulting in the most corrupt government this country has ever had.
A weak Speaker, and suspect donors, Damehood for the police commissione, a brother as assistant commissioner, family made peers and put into the House of Lords, along with failed politicians, so they can still be Cabinet Ministers.
Yet, still there are voters willing to make excuses for them.

They say we get the government we deserve. That does seem to be the case now.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here