Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If they wanted to generate headlines that neither the UK nor any EU system is any good, then they would have to run down the European models as well. Most people, not just the people on this board, know that European countries also have healthcare systems.

Remember that it was Labour who privatised the GP service right from the start, and have shown no remorse or desire to reverse it. It's hard to criticise the employment of a cleaner through an agency firm when doctors are employed on that basis, and have been since day 1.
getting access to that huge slice of the budget is all that matters, all they need to succeed is enough useful idiots, that's how they, "got brexit done"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If they wanted to generate headlines that neither the UK nor any EU system is any good, then they would have to run down the European models as well. Most people, not just the people on this board, know that European countries also have healthcare systems.

Remember that it was Labour who privatised the GP service right from the start, and have shown no remorse or desire to reverse it. It's hard to criticise the employment of a cleaner through an agency firm when doctors are employed on that basis, and have been since day 1.
The only thing the Tories care about is profits. Healthcare is secondary, so it has to be insurance companies that make lots of profits.
Just look at the privatised water companies. They are paying bonuses and dividends but no investment into infrastructure so pump the sewerage into water courses, whether it’s rivers or sea.

Pharmaceutical companies are going to charge high prices with a small market buying and no bargaining power.
27 countries or 1 little block offshore?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Looking back at the post I originally quoted, I see you mention an 80% rate, presumbly in response to @Hugo Rune 's suggestion.

He said 80% above 500k. Let's say the estate was worth a million, she still would've got over 500 grand for doing nothing. Plus there's a tidy sum to the tax man to help pay for things that benefit the less fortunate as well as the rich. Everyone's a winner. Especially, the lucky recipient of all that free cash.
There certainly seems to be a huge amount of envy in your posts. I totally understand though. Did you actually have any questions or shall we leave it there?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Crime is up, convictions down, so what are the police doing?

Ah, stopping a coach with terrorists on board? No
Stopping a coach load of football fans? No.

Surrounding a coach with NHS workers going to Manchester, who might attract publicity at the conference.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The only thing the Tories care about is profits. Healthcare is secondary, so it has to be insurance companies that make lots of profits.
Just look at the privatised water companies. They are paying bonuses and dividends but no investment into infrastructure so pump the sewerage into water courses, whether it’s rivers or sea.

Pharmaceutical companies are going to charge high prices with a small market buying and no bargaining power.
If there isn't something in it for themselves, their cronies, their donors, there is little point.

Meanwhile use fringe wedge issues as distraction while they squander the nations assets.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

This chart shows that capital expenditure by water companies is higher since privatisation than it was before privatisation. Is it wrong?

I'm not convinced that a bloc of 450m people (as diverse as Spain and Estonia) is going to have significantly better purchasing power than a nation state of 67m. Is there any evidence that since Brexit, our pharmaceutical inflation is significantly higher than the EU's? It's an article of faith with government in general that "bigger is better" and the bigger the bloc, the cheaper the goods. Hence why Health Trusts get bigger and bigger and employ more and more staff. Economies of scale, to all appearances, seem to be fictional, but I would be interested in data that shows (in any government field, not just health) that bigger organisations are more efficient and/or cheaper.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This chart shows that capital expenditure by water companies is higher since privatisation than it was before privatisation. Is it wrong?

I'm not convinced that a bloc of 450m people (as diverse as Spain and Estonia) is going to have significantly better purchasing power than a nation state of 67m. Is there any evidence that since Brexit, our pharmaceutical inflation is significantly higher than the EU's? It's an article of faith with government in general that "bigger is better" and the bigger the bloc, the cheaper the goods. Hence why Health Trusts get bigger and bigger and employ more and more staff. Economies of scale, to all appearances, seem to be fictional, but I would be interested in data that shows (in any government field, not just health) that bigger organisations are more efficient and/or cheaper.
Where is the capital expenditure by the water companies actually going? Why is untreated sewerage going into the rivers and sea when there is no storm?

Many countries had different vaccines for the covid jab, but if you were a pharmaceutical company, who would you give a bigger discount to?
As for clout, Apple have had to comply with the EU requirements.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There certainly seems to be a huge amount of envy in your posts. I totally understand though. Did you actually have any questions or shall we leave it there?

Ah, the old politics of envy canard.

No envy here. I'm perfectly comfortable but believe in a redistributive tax system and I dislike the levels of inequality we have in society.

Here's a question. Do you disagree with the idea of inheritance tax in general or was it the proposed rate?

If you agree with it in principle, what rate would you impose?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Are there any other healthcare systems apart from the UK and the USA? It seems to be a general assumption that there are no alternatives to the NHS, the system that used to be called the "envy of the world", other than the US model. Surely other countries, perhaps those in the beloved EU, have healthcare systems that we could investigate?

Not sure if they've managed to ruin it since I left, but I always like the Australian system. A little complicated (due to being means tested), but essentially provides/provided free health care to those who genuinely can't afford it, subsidised health care to those who can afford to pay a little, and heavily encouraged (but regulated to prevent cost explosion) private health care system for those who can afford to pay their own way.

Coupled to that an element of "was your need for health care avoidably self-inflicted?" ... I have certainly never forgotten the bill I received after needing an ambulance ride and night in hospital off the back of a night spent drinking after a very hot day (which included a long motorcycle ride), which meant I was probably already dehydrated before I even started on the alcohol. It was entirely avoidable, entirely my fault, and I was quite rightly expected to pay for it myself (subsidised somewhat, it would have bankrupted me if the same thing happened in the US).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
:thumbsup: I do get annoyed by 'political journalists' who seem to be totally incapable of calling out the most basic lies from the most senior members of this cabal. 'Meat Tax. came from Sunak . Its their basic job FFS :facepalm:
I assume Sunak "eats less meat", being a Hindu?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
See Lizz drew the biggest crowd of the day at the conference, lots of the usual weirdos in attendance.

The last thing Sunak needs. She’s still carrying on like a year ago never happened

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
See Lizz drew the biggest crowd of the day at the conference, lots of the usual weirdos in attendance.

The last thing Sunak needs. She’s still carrying on like a year ago never happened
That woman is as out of touch with reality as Thatcher was in her later years. I don’t think she is all there.

I just don’t understand the attraction from anyone other than psychology students. She is a vacuous freak show who unashamedly preaches the single thing most Tories find it hard to admit, the mission is to make the rich richer.

The only crumb of comfort (as you point out) is that she is a pain in Rishi’s tiny little backside, akin to a black mamba set to No.5 (turbo button held down) dipped in aggregate sprinkles and wrapped in barbed wire, inserted into him up to the handle.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

:thumbsup: I do get annoyed by 'political journalists' who seem to be totally incapable of calling out the most basic lies from the most senior members of this cabal. 'Meat Tax. came from Sunak . Its their basic job FFS :facepalm:
'Came from Sunak'. Wasn't the 'meat tax' the policy that Sunak said last week that he was scrapping - even though it turned out that it never actually existed as a policy in the first place. So, the Prime Minister scraps a policy that didn't exist - then the Environment Secretary implies it's a Labour policy. Even though it isn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here