Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's "only" the conference which I think the MAINSTREAM MEDIA (wake up NSC!) are more interested in than most the population.

That said, they've been in full on populist bullshit mode since Brexit.

You could go round the conference writing down bare faced lies but you'd run out of notebooks.

This kind of behaviour will close the gap on Labour (as has the pro motorist agenda) but it will split the party internally. Every nasty comment Suella makes, makes the foreign secretary's job much harder.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
New depths.

The completely unhinged Conservative Mayoral candidate implying London Jewish residents are frightened of Labour Mayor Khan.

So appalling, the Board of Deputies of British Jews have been forced to respond.

If you aren't aware of her, we are looking at full scale international embarrassment if she becomes Mayor. She's "liked" post on Twitter containing quotes from Enoch Powell.

She is the benchmark of what has happened to the Conservatives.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No, I'm not saying I would move to the US model. Repeat not. I wouldn't like to be misunderstood on this - so I will repeat that I do not like the US model.

The line "Surely other countries, perhaps those in the beloved EU, have healthcare systems that we could investigate?" was intended to suggest that perhaps other EU countries have a system that we could adapt, and I'm sorry that you took it (or anything else in the post) to express support for the US system. I'm at a bit of a loss how you thought I was, frankly.

Wouldn't you be in favour of looking at how these European countries (you don't say whether EU or not, but most European countries are) do it better than us? Or worse than us, if that's the case?
They all pay significantly more per capita on healthcare than we do (as do Australia mentioned below). Maybe we could try that as it'll far cheaper and less risky than completely reorganising the whole system with no evidence it will improve anything

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The only crumb of comfort (as you point out) is that she is a pain in Rishi’s tiny little backside, akin to a black mamba set to No.5 (turbo button held down) dipped in aggregate sprinkles and wrapped in barbed wire, inserted into him up to the handle.
Ladies and gentlemen, this is mamba number five

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This kind of behaviour will close the gap on Labour (as has the pro motorist agenda) but it will split the party internally. Every nasty comment Suella makes, makes the foreign secretary's job much harder.
Also worth remembering that polling during conference season is also not hugely reliable. This week we have a week where the Tories dominate the news cycle and go largely unchallenged while pushing their ideas out left, right and centre. Next week the same thing will happen to Labour. Both will see a bump in their polling figures accordingly as a result. We won’t really be able to tell how the land lies until a couple of weeks after conference season when the dust has settled.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
'Came from Sunak'. Wasn't the 'meat tax' the policy that Sunak said last week that he was scrapping - even though it turned out that it never actually existed as a policy in the first place. So, the Prime Minister scraps a policy that didn't exist - then the Environment Secretary implies it's a Labour policy. Even though it isn't.
Yup. I think that about sums it up.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Also worth remembering that polling during conference season is also not hugely reliable. This week we have a week where the Tories dominate the news cycle and go largely unchallenged while pushing their ideas out left, right and centre. Next week the same thing will happen to Labour. Both will see a bump in their polling figures accordingly as a result. We won’t really be able to tell how the land lies until a couple of weeks after conference season when the dust has settled.
Except that every policy pronouncement and speech by the Tories this week is being cheered to the rafters by the Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph, whereas every policy pronouncement and speech by Labour next week will be totally misrepresented, branded as loony, or condemned as unaffordable, by the same newspapers!

I've always said that a Conservative and Labour leader could make an identical speech, but the Tory leader would be hailed as bold, brave, courageous and visionary, whereas that same speech by a Labour leader would be reported as dangerous, extremist, pandering to tofu-eating Guardian readers, and unpatriotic.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not sure if they've managed to ruin it since I left, but I always like the Australian system. A little complicated (due to being means tested), but essentially provides/provided free health care to those who genuinely can't afford it, subsidised health care to those who can afford to pay a little, and heavily encouraged (but regulated to prevent cost explosion) private health care system for those who can afford to pay their own way.

Coupled to that an element of "was your need for health care avoidably self-inflicted?" ... I have certainly never forgotten the bill I received after needing an ambulance ride and night in hospital off the back of a night spent drinking after a very hot day (which included a long motorcycle ride), which meant I was probably already dehydrated before I even started on the alcohol. It was entirely avoidable, entirely my fault, and I was quite rightly expected to pay for it myself (subsidised somewhat, it would have bankrupted me if the same thing happened in the US).
Quite a lot of admin in working all that out. Presumably some sort of appeal system as well. I'd rather health funding to be spent on health rather than resolving disputes about fault of the incident.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
See Lizz drew the biggest crowd of the day at the conference, lots of the usual weirdos in attendance.

The last thing Sunak needs. She’s still carrying on like a year ago never happened
Remember that Truss was incredibly popular with the members which led to her absolutely thrashing Sunak in the leadership contest

It was the MP's and the rest of the general public that she couldn't win over

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Except that every policy pronouncement and speech by the Tories this week is being cheered to the rafters by the Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph, whereas every policy pronouncement and speech by Labour next week will be totally misrepresented, branded as loony, or condemned as unaffordable, by the same newspapers!

I've always said that a Conservative and Labour leader could make an identical speech, but the Tory leader would be hailed as bold, brave, courageous and visionary, whereas that same speech by a Labour leader would be reported as dangerous, extremist, rabble-rousing and unpatriotic.
And this is happening to the point where the words of the press are barely distinguishable from the words coming from the government.

And the government lie openly. It's getting increasingly close the the US, we now have two sets of facts which two sets of people believe, type society.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Remember that Truss was incredibly popular with the members which led to her absolutely thrashing Sunak in the leadership contest

I like the measured, understated way you put this

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Not forgetting the lefty international money markets and the communist hedge fund managers

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There is no doubt in my mind that Truss has mental health issues / learning difficulties. She genuinely believes she did no wrong and is still relevant? Madder than Mad Mick McMad.

It is alleged that throughout her political “career”,all documents for her attention had to be “Truss proofed” ie ; written so a five year old could understand it.

She has a political legacy in the same way Jedward have a musical legacy.

The fact that the mad fucker is running around the conference like a kid at a wedding reception is clear indication that Sunak, the man with the amazing jelly spine, has no control over his party.

At most she should be on cloakroom detail. Personally, I’d have barred her from attending.

It’s criminal that this bunch of nuts actually has a very good chance of staying in power for years to come.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

was she? result was 57%-43%, which sounds a large margin but the lowest win since they asked the membership to vote. many were voting for Truss as the Johnson continuity candidate, or anyone but Sunak (stabbed poor Boris in the back). it's very odd seeing there's supposed to be a ground swell of support around her after she failed so spectacularly.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I still can't decide if it's hilarious or depressing that our current Prime Minister lost a popularity / competency contest with Liz Truss who, let's not forget, was outlasted by a lettuce.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Quite a lot of admin in working all that out. Presumably some sort of appeal system as well. I'd rather health funding to be spent on health rather than resolving disputes about fault of the incident.
Exactly. The NHS spends next to nothing on that kind of admin, which is one of the reasons why we (still, just) have decent enough healthcare for lower costs than comparable nations. Our current chronic problems are simply a result of long-term under-funding which has been going on for 13 years now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unelected, not a Conservative Party candidate Farage seems to be having a better time at the conference than Sunak.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Unelected, not a Conservative Party candidate Farage seems to be having a better time at the conference than Sunak.

Y'know there's just some things on the Internet that I know, without a shadow of a doubt, will make my life worse if I view them. And this is one of those things.

A video that will be forever left un-played.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here