Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not aiming this at any specific post or poster, but I feel a certain concern when those who habitually don’t vote for the Conservatives wish the stupidest/most lethal candidate on us.

We will all (regardless of political allegiance) have to live in whatever environment our incoming Prime Minister creates, and as a British citizen I want our country to be respectable and respected.

Personally I would prefer Tom Tugendhat as PM, but fear he may not have sufficient support among the membership, leaving Penny Mordaunt as potentially the least worst option out of the unholy trinity of Sunak/Mordaunt/Truss.

I agree and find it extraordinary that, regardless of their political view, some bods actually want the country run by someone whom they consider to be wholly unsuited to the task. If the boot were on the other foot, would I prefer a Corbynista to run the country rather than a Blairite, just so the Conservatives would look good. Not on my life.
I suppose that Labour have been out of office for so long that some supporters have understandably become rather frustrated.
I hold, perhaps an old fashioned view, that it is good for the country to have both a strong and competent Government and an equally strong and competent Opposition, whichever party is in power.
PS, The choice of Johnson or Corbyn in 2019 was not a high point in British politics.:eek:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No Indian heritage but distant black ancestry from Trinidad. I share your thoughts. I find it hard to fathom the whole Rwanda operation, which becomes even harder to reconcile when you find it was Priti Patel's idea. I recall she was born here, to parents who were Ugandan Asian refugees. Uganda is next door to Rwanda, which is unlikely to be a coincidence. But I still don't understand how she could possibly have entertained such an idea, let alone put it into practice. I can only put it down to a horribly misguided attempt to fit in with the hardline wing of the Conservative party.

Pritti Patel's parents were not refugees. They came here in the 60s long before Idi Amin came to power in 1971, Patel herself was born in London March 1972.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm both a Tory voter and not a Tory voter.

I voted for Cameron instead of Chaos with Ed Miliband :facepalm:
I voted for Major aeons ago.

My assessment ( worst to best ) :

2 abysmal candidates - Braverman and the one I hadn't heard of before this week.
Penny Dreadful ( ERG, referendum lies ).
Clueless Liz Truss
Sunak - who I've been deeply suspicious of in the past - but is the only one who could beat Starmer.
Tugendhat - borderline competent, basically the "Tory Starmer".

I'll get Tory membership next year just so I get a vote next time.

Thanks for your reply.
I have to go with Sunak.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Pritti Patel's parents were not refugees. They came here in the 60s long before Idi Amin came to power in 1971, Patel herself was born in London March 1972.

I stand corrected. But it doesn't change my view of her, nor her policy on migrants. Her justification for it remains incomprehensible.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Got to be truss, I think she has it in her to be even more hilariously, incompetent than bungle.

Well, that is going to be good for the country isn’t it and just what we need.
Presumably you have said that more in the interest of the Labour Party than the country.
I wouldn’t want her as PM.
Come on Roger, a properly run Labour Party should be able to beat the Conservatives at the next election, whoever is voted leader, but let us not wish someone whom you consider more incompetent than Johnson to run the country, in the meantime.:wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks for your reply.
I have to go with Sunak.

I'm quite interested in what attracts you to Sunak as PM.

Given that Sunak has been in the second most senior position in the country, with particular responsibility for the economy throughout the vast majority of Johnson's premiership, what sort of radical changes do you think he's now going to bring to the table to reverse the impending economic disaster, that he hasn't in the last 2.5 years ?

Or are you looking simply for the stability of more of the same ?

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Totally agree about the wasteful layers of management in the public sector: I work in Higher Education, and my wife works in the NHS, and both sectors are top-heavy with 'suits' - business managers, marketing consultants, corporate compliance officers, strategic co-ordinators, quality officers, and ever-expanding HR departments.

The irony is that all governments since the 1990s have pursued this increase and expansion of public sector management and bureaucracy on the basis that public sector workers are inherently lazy and incompetent, and so need to be micromanaged and constantly 'performance monitored'. However, this actually compounds the problem it purports to solve, because it means that nurses, police officers, social workers, teachers and university lecturers spend more and more time each year on paper-work, box-ticking, form-filling, strategic reviews, training courses, Away Days, and preparing for the next 'institutional audit'. The result = less time actually treating patients, tackling crime, helping 'problem families', etc.

Governments then say "See, you're crap, so we need even more management of the public sector, becuase you're not doing your jobs properly." Er, no, because politicians won't let us :angry:

Yes, agree completely with this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I stand corrected. But it doesn't change my view of her, nor her policy on migrants. Her justification for it remains incomprehensible.

I agree fully. If anything, it makes it worse that her family were economic migrants.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The five candidates who have made it through are:

Rishi Sunak - 101 votes
Penny Mordaunt - 83 votes
Liz Truss - 64 votes
Kemi Badenoch - 49 votes
Tom Tugendhat - 32 votes

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I'm quite interested in what attracts you to Sunak as PM.

Given that Sunak has been in the second most senior position in the country, with particular responsibility for the economy throughout the vast majority of Johnson's premiership, what sort of radical changes do you think he's now going to bring to the table to reverse the impending economic disaster, that he hasn't in the last 2.5 years ?

Or are you looking simply for the stability of more of the same ?

Sunak is also going to be moving to India at some indeterminate point in the future, potentially tomorrow. Simply on this basis, I am not sure how he can be taken in anyway seriously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here