Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Today's polls suggest that Labour would be the largest party and, with Sinn Fein and Speakers removed, may be able to govern with the support of the Lib Dems, SDLP and Greens without needing to deal with the SNP.

[tweet]1529434279469535232[/tweet]

Exciting isn't it! After all - it would be humiliating if England was ruled by Scotland's reserve team. No chance of that though is there!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1529403011243593733[/tweet]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exciting isn't it! After all - it would be humiliating if England was ruled by Scotland's reserve team. No chance of that though is there!

Also probably won't be a GE until 2025...and the pollsters can't even get an exit poll close to correct on the day, let alone over 2.5 years away...........

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Also probably won't be a GE until 2025...and the pollsters can't even get an exit poll close to correct on the day, let alone over 2.5 years away...........

Election has to be held by May 2024 under the rules

Although I do accept if we’ve learned one thing today it’s that the PM doesn’t really have much time for rules…

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
because it was embarressing, went against the public messaging and caught on camera.

this isnt excuse of condoning the behaviour, just some explaination of how this happened.

Indeed. As long as you aren't caught on camera going off message, you can do what you like in the Johnson tent.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Given that Johnson's shield throughout this has been 'Sorry for that, but what is now important is that we get on with... (Covid / Ukraine / Cost of Living / Energy Crisis / (Delete as appropriate))', I can't believe that nobody on the opposition benches has thought to ask something like: "Why does the PM have no confidence that any of his colleagues have the capacity to lead on these issues?", "How does the rest of the cabinet disagree with his current approach over (e.g.) Ukraine?", or "What gives him such a sense of his own exceptionalism that he can argue that his resignation, although completely warranted by his actions, is just not possible because he alone is irreplaceable?"

While lots of Tory MPs would say this would not be the right time to change a leader, one of our local MPs - Caroline Nokes, Conservative MP forTest Valley just down the road - is now saying there is no good time to change a leader and is still saying what she has been saying for a long time that he should go. ……. Mrs DiS had quite a lot to do with her before she retired and was well aware she was a decent and honest person. There are others!!!!!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Absolutely agree. It's insane. If somebody did that in a meeting in my company, I'd kick them out the meeting room and tell them not to bother coming back for the next one. It is utterly ridiculous that this is how the leaders of our country holds debates. But then the whole system is utterly ridiculous anyway, it's set up for a civilisation hundreds of years ago and isn't fit in any shape or form for running a country in 2022. It's no wonder very few really talented people want to go in to politics. Especially when you couple that with the fact they can earn way more money in the private sector, without any of the scrutiny and hassle.

All true 👍...and a lot of them earn money in the private sector at the same time, a practice that doesn't sit well with me.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1529511766140624897[/tweet]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Haven't read all the comments today but what strikes me as bizarre is that the scum Johnson thinks it is perfectly acceptable (and, for some reason, part of his job) to have drinks to say goodbye to a colleague and thank them for their service but it wasn't ok for families to say goodbye to lost love ones whom they would never see again and have a drink to celebrate their life!!!

I can't even imagine any act that johnson could do for which he would resign. He is bereft of morals as are all the sycophantic morons that grin sitting behind him.

It's frightening that, of 360 MPs, there aren't 54 MPs that have the integrity and courage to write a letter to the 1922 committee!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Although I do accept if we’ve learned one thing today it’s that the PM doesn’t really have much time for rules…

Depends what you read.....technically latest is 25 days after automatic dissolution on 17 Dec 2024 ?

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/w...and-how-a-vote-of-no-confidence-works-1614655

I think dazzer is correct, although it's 'accepted' the next general election will be May 2024 at the latest...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1529523421482205186[/tweet]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
While lots of Tory MPs would say this would not be the right time to change a leader, one of our local MPs - Caroline Nokes, Conservative MP forTest Valley just down the road - is now saying there is no good time to change a leader and is still saying what she has been saying for a long time that he should go. ……. Mrs DiS had quite a lot to do with her before she retired and was well aware she was a decent and honest person. There are others!!!!!

Has Ms Nokes submitted her letter?

Edit: seems she has.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Windfall tax u turn coming imminently...

.... Part of 'Project Save Big Dog'...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Haven't read all the comments today but what strikes me as bizarre is that the scum Johnson thinks it is perfectly acceptable (and, for some reason, part of his job) to have drinks to say goodbye to a colleague and thank them for their service but it wasn't ok for families to say goodbye to lost love ones whom they would never see again and have a drink to celebrate their life!!!

I can't even imagine any act that johnson could do for which he would resign. He is bereft of morals as are all the sycophantic morons that grin sitting behind him.

It's frightening that, of 360 MPs, there aren't 54 MPs that have the integrity and courage to write a letter to the 1922 committee!

This is the big takeaway for me too. He’s basically saying ‘you are lesser people for not doing this. I’m a good leader, of course I’d do it’. The absolute brazenness of it is insane.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 20.38.53.png

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The Fixed Term Act was repealed in March 2022.

It received Royal Assent on 24 March 2022, and its provisions came into force on Royal Assent. The Dissolution and Calling of Parliament Act 2022 repealed the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 (FTPA) and made the maximum term of a Parliament (rather than the period between general elections) five years.28 Mar 2022

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here