Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Johnson will have a get-out clause. He is making a statement before PMQs so his stock answer will be 'It's under investigation so I can't say anything',

I guess that's also why Johnson's Principal Private Secretary, who sent the email and organised the party, hasn't been sacked/resigned yet, he has to remain until the investigation is complete :lolol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Should have gone when he talked about letting the bodies pile high.

Shame on all those involved that he didn't.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Totally agree. And it worries me if LLF is correct and Starmer doesn't want rid of him yet, that the Labour Party is happy for us to carry on suffering under a regime led by a lying, corrupt obnoxious self-serving ****wit like Johnson. Is that what Starmer thinks we deserve? Starmer needs to put politics aside and put the national interest first. And that interest is best served getting rid of Johnson NOW and not sit back and watch whilst he does further damage to the country over the next 12 - 24 months.

I personally think Starmer is playing a blinder, its definitely a strategy to stay low key and out of controversy and watch Boris and his mates implode. By staying low key he removes one of the key weapons in Boris armoury which is the ability to put the focus on others to take the heat away from himself.

Starmer has seen what taking an extreme position on things has done for Corbyn, in these politically charged times it simply polarises opinion both within his own party and the wider population. With the election probably 2 years away much better to sit on the fence a bit, let the COVID and Brexit stuff blow over and leave all of the mud slinging to Boris and the Tory party.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I personally think Starmer is playing a blinder, its definitely a strategy to stay low key and out of controversy and watch Boris and his mates implode. By staying low key he removes one of the key weapons in Boris armoury which is the ability to put the focus on others to take the heat away from himself.

Starmer has seen what taking an extreme position on things has done for Corbyn, in these politically charged times it simply polarises opinion both within his own party and the wider population. With the election probably 2 years away much better to sit on the fence a bit, let the COVID and Brexit stuff blow over and leave all of the mud slinging to Boris and the Tory party.

Possibly his best move was to say this, which could easily come back to haunt Johnson today.

[tweet]1480954488504606736[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree, again he will wriggle has way out of it and somehow some will start seeing him an a victim.

The tipping point for the Tories is where Johnson changes from being an asset to a liability. I think we are close to that, I know about a couple of Brexit headbangers in my own family that are now having buyers remorse.

The party priority is power at all costs, if that is in danger he will be gone

Pathetic excuses from the Tory faithful.

[tweet]1481209656601198595[/tweet]

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Johnson will have a get-out clause. He is making a statement before PMQs so his stock answer will be 'It's under investigation so I can't say anything',

Exactly - pre-emptive strike to take the sting out and provide a reference point for saying nothing of substance to all subsequent questions. But he'll get away with it. Again.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I think you are right. I remember an interview with a Tory MP - can't remember who - and he was asked who has best spokesman for the Conservatives on the media rounds prior to the last election was "That's easy" he said straight away "Its by far and away Jeremy Corbyn"

Silence is often an under rated quality.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Totally agree. I find Starmer very uninspiring, Rayner the one person on the front bench that I feel genuinely connects with the people of this country. I've been very impressed with her in recent months, constantly taking the attack to the government unlike Starmer who concentrates his fire on the membership.

Has to be said that today would be ideal for Angela Rayner to tear BJ a new one IMHO. He really can't handle her, whereas Starmer's forensic approach often dosn't really convert the simple tap-ins presented to him on a plate. A little genuine righteous anger would go a very long way. Starmer doesn't really DO angry

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
Sir Ed Davey, the Lib Dems leader, has called for Boris to go.

Impressed with him whenever he talks - which is a lot better than Starmer - hopefully he grills Boris in questions this morning.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The Good Law Project has just won in the High Court.

[tweet]1481216554448691202[/tweet]

Hope that doesn't get buried with all the other noise today, that is a far more damaging issue for me than the garden party. Potentially putting front-line workers lives at risk to line the pockets of friends is despicable.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Tories have an opportunity here, not a problem.

No-one does long knives like the Tories. And it's a perfect time to play 'Dump the Leader'.

It really isn't. They did that 2.5 years ago. We're in the middle of a pandemic. Add in a cost of living crisis. And you think that spending 3 to 6 months on a leadership contest will go down well with the electorate?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think you are confusing her connection with the membership with a connection to the country. Sounds like a few Labour supporters are determined to make the same mistake they made with Corbyn and so the cycle of failure continues. Ditch Starmer and you will lose the next election.

Ditching Starmer is a bit of a jump from what [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION] was actually saying which was that Rayner has been more impressive than Starmer at skewering/holding the government/PM to account in recent months

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Totally agree. And it worries me if LLF is correct and Starmer doesn't want rid of him yet, that the Labour Party is happy for us to carry on suffering under a regime led by a lying, corrupt obnoxious self-serving ****wit like Johnson. Is that what Starmer thinks we deserve? Starmer needs to put politics aside and put the national interest first. And that interest is best served getting rid of Johnson NOW and not sit back and watch whilst he does further damage to the country over the next 12 - 24 months.

Johnson is looked upon by more than half the country as an incompetent liar. His approval rating in the last poll before the latest revelations were 23%.
If the Tories bin him now, and they get in someone who is thought to be competent, it’s a clean slate, and the Tory media will ensure that Johnson’s tenure of Number 10 will be his responsibility, not the wider Tory Party, like they did with Cameron and May.

Also, Labour has lost over 200,000 members since Corbyn stepped down, and his ensuing shoddy treatment. Rumours are that Labour is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, not a good look for a party with an election 2 years down the road. I really think that the Labour leadership would prefer a lame duck Prime Minister limping to the next election, with his authority in shreds, rather than a shiny new PM with the goodwill of all the usual suspects leading a party buoyed by having the recent past being consigned to the last incumbent of the top job.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ditching Starmer is a bit of a jump from what [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION] was actually saying which was that Rayner has been more impressive than Starmer at skewering/holding the government/PM to account in recent months

She uses language that resonates with the membership but not necessarily the country. There will be a temptation amongst the former to line up behind her but I am just pointing out that the already converted are not the ones that need persuading. That said she has said nothing recently that I would disagree with.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hope that doesn't get buried with all the other noise today, that is a far more damaging issue for me than the garden party. Potentially putting front-line workers lives at risk to line the pockets of friends is despicable.

It will get buried and, you're right, it's shocking both in terms of what's happened with contracts, etc and how it's been reported (or hasn't). A Tory MP has had the whip removed today, and that's got lost.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Labour has lost over 200,000 members since Corbyn stepped down, and his ensuing shoddy treatment.

There were 555,000 members and supporters eligible to vote when Corbyn was elected: current membership- as the end of 2020 is 552,000. The figures for 2021 haven't been published but there almost certainly will be a decrease, but not one of 200,000

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory meltdown incoming...

“Mr Speaker I want to apologise.”

That’s enough for most Tories.

He’ll keep his job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here