Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
there's literally police on the door of number 10 24 hours a day

I'm confused as to how they missed a party going on
There's a constant stream of people in and out.....the police outside don't check what goes on inside. People would have just been recorded as going to a 'meeting'

The goons that organised it are the ones that need to walk

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
There's a constant stream of people in and out.....the police outside don't check what goes on inside. People would have just been recorded as going to a 'meeting'

Yep, all this deflection, blaming the police, etc., is just white noise to attempt to get the Tory Party out of a massive hole...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i dont know why so many are having a cognative block here, seem to imagine a stream of guest turning up in fineries with presents a party hats. the accusation is a staff party, drinks and nibbles after 5pm type thing.

the police established a long time ago they wouldnt chase up every claim of a breach of restrictions. if we want to force the issue on Downing street, they'll be obliged to follow up every other breach wouldnt they? let leave them out of it and leave it as the political embarrassment it is, rather than chase the legal (possibly not technically) breach of restrictions.

Jul 20, 2003

Munira Mirza is director of the Number 10 Policy unit, can't work out if her husband, Douglas 'Dougie' Smith is still involved at number 10 but he was there when Cummings went.

As a couple they have as bit of a history in arranging 'parties'.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Lol.

Johnson is totally incompetent if he doesn't know whether any of the 6+ parties took place.

Rudderless leadership.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1468889430178123780[/tweet]

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yep, all this deflection, blaming the police, etc., is just white noise to attempt to get the Tory Party out of a massive hole...

That’s as maybe, but I reckon a lot of Tory politicians and voters would love to see the back of Johnson ASAP.
I include myself in that number.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Anyone else seen the Christmas party video that has been leaked?

Could be the last straw for BJ!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Na. They’ll ride it out with the usual mix of evading the point, outright dishonesty and playing for time.
That’s politicians for you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Find all the tributes to Stratton from the likes of Peston really nauseating.

She's crying not because she felt she had done anything wrong, but because she got caught.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That's very unfair on Major, it wasn't his cash for questions, it was Hamilton and Smith who were caught up in the scandal. Major forced Hamilton to resign his ministerial position and put pressure on both Smith and Hamilton to stand down in the 1997 election (Smith did, Hamilton refused and got soundly trounced by Martin Bell).

Major had no part in the brouhaha though and tried to hold a strict moral line. That's very different from the current situation where Johnson is right at the heart of several dodgy financial deals (note that we still don't know who paid for his Mustique holiday or his flat redecoration)

I meant Major's government, not Major himself, although he did preside over a government that was noted for sleaze and led to Blair's landslide.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm going to hazard a guess that the security of the residence of the prime minister isn't the sole responsibility of one bobby standing outside!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Na. They’ll ride it out with the usual mix of evading the point, outright dishonesty and playing for time.
That’s politicians for you.

It isn't all politicians. Let's not derail the thread with pleas for anarchy, and wistful yearnings for the old ways of running of the country by locally appointed chieftans, victorious from the smiting of the next village.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Essentially now the police are complicit in the act and the cover up. They are no longer independent but doing the bidding of a rogue Prime Minister.
If this were any other country we’d be calling it a Police State. And we’d be right to do so.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I meant Major's government, not Major himself, although he did preside over a government that was noted for sleaze and led to Blair's landslide.

I'll also stick up for major here. He did try to smite the 'b'stards' (Deadwood, and reactionary chums). His weakness was when his 'back to basics' campaign (promoting values such as "neighbourliness, decency, courtesy") came back to haunt him when he found he'd lost his grip on the venal goons on his own back benches. They seemed to be queuing up to stand by the gates of ther country piles, announcing their desire to spend more time with the families who stood with them, all rictus grins and inwardly fuming about the back of the 16 year old intern the MP had been caught hanging out of by an investigative journalist.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That’s as maybe, but I reckon a lot of Tory politicians and voters would love to see the back of Johnson ASAP.
I include myself in that number.

The big problem the Tories have is while there are a lot of people in more traditional Tory areas and with traditional Tory mindsets (no idea whether you are in this camp or not, more a broad observation) who aren't keen on him and want him out, but then you have the "new" Tories in the Red Wall who love him and almost certainly wouldn't see any value in swapping him out for (e.g.) Michael Gove.

Finding someone who can unite these two camps will prove to be a struggle. Sunak is probably the only one I can think of who might be able to do it.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It isn't all politicians. Let's not derail the thread with pleas for anarchy, and wistful yearnings for the old ways of running of the country by locally appointed chieftans, victorious from the smiting of the next village.

Fair enough, I generalised.
I’m not making a call for anarchy and a world of no politicians. Politicians can, and do, do a lot of good.
But it increasingly feels like there’s an established way politicians handle justified scrutiny - namely doing everything they can to avoid giving the truth in its entirety. Johnson is of course an expert in this.
I would like to see more politicians engage their moral compass and be more straight forward.
That that sounds childishly naive is a sad state of affairs in itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here