Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I wonder why they would do that ? From the article you quoted

Speaking to Radio 4's Today programme, Ms Reeves said the Tories had "crashed the economy", adding that after prices and interest rates increased "financial stability has to come first". Former PM Liz Truss's mini-budget last year, which included billions of pounds of unfunded tax cuts, also prompted turmoil in the financial markets and led to interest rates rising further.

Since then the economic picture has changed considerably, with interest rates and borrowing costs soaring.

Apparently because even His Majesty's Opposition underestimated just how corrupt, inept and incompetent this Cabal that you voted for, and support at every opportunity, would be. Seems sensible :facepalm:
Interested to know your thoughts on RR/KS rationale behind this manoeuvre.
Is it about ramping up their credibility with floating voters (akin to New Labour's 1997 commitment to keep to the Tory spending plans for two years); or is it that the 28bn was always conditional on the fiscal spending rule, which has been shot by Tory incompetence? Or, both? Or something else?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is it about ramping up their credibility with floating voters (akin to New Labour's 1997 commitment to keep to the Tory spending plans for two years); or is it that the 28bn was always conditional on the fiscal spending rule, which has been shot by Tory incompetence? Or, both? Or something else?

To be fair, the original pledge was 2 years ago and I think they have been genuinely surprised by just how incompetent this cabal, under it's various guises, have been with the economy since.

I do remember immediately after Johnson got elected a few on here saying 'batten down the hatches' as this is going to get rough, and there's still 18 months to go with plenty of time for it to get worse (house prices, for instance have held up till now). Maybe RR/KS should have read NSC :wink:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
To be fair, the original pledge was 2 years ago and I think they have been genuinely surprised by just how incompetent this cabal, under it's various guises, have been with the economy since.

I do remember immediately after Johnson got elected a few on here saying 'batten down the hatches' as this is going to get rough, and there's still 18 months to go with plenty of time for it to get worse (house prices, for instance have held up till now). Maybe RR/KS should have read NSC :wink:
Labour are going to have an impossible task with an economy in stagnation. If they win its going to be very tough

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Dorries gone! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

The biggest rats are leaving the sinking ship first.

Will her 24,664 majority hold?
The case for Lords reform gets greater and greater every day

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the promise relied on borrowing. it was a legacy of Corbyn/McDonnell £250bn green splurge, so its good to see Starmer/Reeves are being more sensible, more into the credibility column.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

What's happened there then? Quite rare to stand down with immediate effect - something about to be released from the COVID enquiry perhaps?

Straight after being removed from the honours list as well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
How many governments come to power with the economy looking in good shape?
I can think of Labour in 1997, and that's about it. Since the Second World War at least.
What the coalition inherited in 2010 was nowhere near as bad as was made out. I said it then. More should be able to recognise there's something in it by now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Average IQ of the House has rocketed with that.

I don't usually like to accuse people of being thick but she gave two short planks a bad name.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What's happened there then? Quite rare to stand down with immediate effect - something about to be released from the COVID enquiry perhaps?

Straight after being removed from the honours list as well.
Tantrum because No. 10 told her she's not getting her peerage because they don't want a by-election.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
the promise relied on borrowing. it was a legacy of Corbyn/McDonnell £250bn green splurge, so its good to see Starmer/Reeves are being more sensible, more into the credibility column.
Yes, it's not just that the public finances were shot by Truss/KamiKwasi, it's that they've contributed towards further hikes in interest rates. Their mooted downward trajectory still seems a while off.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
What the coalition inherited in 2010 was nowhere near as bad as was made out. I said it then. More should be able to recognise there's something in it by now.
I had that in mind, which is why I phrased it as "looking" in good shape.
Conversely when Labour came to power in 1964 things were much worse than generally thought at the time.
My general point, if I have one, is that most governments change either because the economy's doing badly or the governing party has been in so long they've run out of competent/not a pervert candidates for ministerial positions.
Rewinding a bit, this is one of the reasons I think whatever government comes in after the next election should reform the voting system as soon as possible. If the economy's doing badly they could quite easily lose the following election as they get blamed for things that have been in the pipeline for years.
Or we could start another war with Argentina. That could keep them in power for a while.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I guess this is the end of my 'Mad Nad for PM' campaign :down:

And let's face it, it's now been proven to be no more stupid than the campaigns for Johnson, Truss and Sunak :wink:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
You can tell she is Boris Brown Nose. Both of them put themselves above party and country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here