Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not convinced Labour can do all the surgery required alone, they need a progressive alliance with LD's.

Gonna be very hard for the next government we looking at 5-10 years of anemic growth
There's a long, long list of major things that need doing. If the next government (whether majority Labour, Labour-minority, or Labour-led coalition) can get through half of them in the next parliament, that'd be some achievement.
In terms of future growth rates, in 'developed' economies, they are going to be low (Starmer is made himself a hostage to fortune in claiming that Labour will achieve the highest growth rates in the G7) into the future, far lower than what we've even endured thus far in 21C, let alone those of the 20C.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
"Stopping the boats" has become the new slogan for this government, hasn't it? Following on from the Johnson government's "Get Brexit done". In order to achieve this, they bring in a ban on Masters students bringing dependants over, students who may go on to do a PHD, thus contributing to the economy and important research. At least some of these will now be deterred from coming here.

A majority of Masters students from abroad tend to prefer purpose-built accommodation, hence the boom in student housing in many cities, as it avoids the hassle of going through accommodation agents who may rip them off, etc. In other words the idea that they put heavy pressure on accommodation is largely spurious. However, what does this matter, so long as "Bert in the Bricklayers' Arms" thinks they're "doing something about immigration"?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The irony is the revelations that Johnson has been referred to police over alleged lockdown parties at Chequers only came to light because Sunak government agreed to foot his legal bills for the Covid inquiry. Maybe he knew what he was doing...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He pays £3.9 million cash for a new home, but gets legal aid for his defence!
If any of us wanted legal aid, we’d be turned down because it’s part of the Criminal Justice System’s cut backs.
Good question from Karl Turner (ignoring the fact he can't prounounce Ruislip))

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
But let's ask ourselves why the anti-immigration MPs are making the noise, is it because there are no pro-immigration MPs? I doubt that. So we have to look at whether our media eco-system is allowing of people to openly broadcast their views as pro-immigration while in public office
Chris Skidmore, the Conservative MP for Kingswood, has suggested that international students should be removed from immigration figures, as they mostly go home once their degree courses have finished (and as I said in my previous post, those that stay largely make a positive contribution to the UK). I can't post the tweet, as I'm on my work computer, which isn't connected to Twitter. In other words, they are out there if journalists could be bothered to look for them.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Chris Skidmore, the Conservative MP for Kingswood, has suggested that international students should be removed from immigration figures, as they mostly go home once their degree courses have finished (and as I said in my previous post, those that stay largely make a positive contribution to the UK). I can't post the tweet, as I'm on my work computer, which isn't connected to Twitter. In other words, they are out there if the journalists could be bothered to look for them.
Hmmm. But isn't immigration the number of people who come into your country. It's not supposed to include or otherwise people who may or may not stay a long time or may or may not make the contribution you want.

They need to spend less time thinking about cooking the books and more time running the country.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hmmm. But isn't immigration the number of people who come into your country. It's not supposed to include or otherwise people who may or may not stay a long time or may or may not make the contribution you want.

They need to spend less time thinking about cooking the books and more time running the country.
Foreign students pay full whack for their university course, and many universities rely on overseas students to subsidise the courses for our kids. The government deliberately added students to the number coming in, which is nonsense because they only stay for three or four years, contributing a lot to the economy whilst here.

Cooking the books is exactly what this government is doing, whilst spreading fear and anger to keep the public from scrutinising their books.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Foreign students pay full whack for their university course, and many universities rely on overseas students to subsidise the courses for our kids. The government deliberately added students to the number coming in, which is nonsense because they only stay for three or four years, contributing a lot to the economy whilst here.

Cooking the books is exactly what this government is doing, whilst spreading fear and anger to keep the public from scrutinising their books.
My University has recently announced a 'strategic increase' in the recruitment of overseas students to be accommodated by reducing the number of 'home' students we recruit in future.

Another predictable and lamentable consequence of turning universities into revenue-maximising businesses run, not by experienced academics, but accountants, business managers, financial consultants, marketing officers, and 'strategic development coordinators' - who don't give a **** about standards of education, only about attracting fee-paying bums-on-seats.

Over 50% of university student fee income goes on management and administration costs, and many university Vice-Chancellors (often calling themselves Presidents) are now paid £500,000, seeing themselves as CEOs :mad:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My University has recently announced a 'strategic increase' in the recruitment of overseas students to be accommodated by reducing the number of 'home' students we recruit in future.

Another predictable and lamentable consequence of turning universities into revenue-maximising businesses run, not by experienced academics, but accountants, business managers, financial consultants, marketing officers, and 'strategic development coordinators' - who don't give a **** about standards of education, only about attracting fee-paying bums-on-seats.

Over 50% of university student fee income goes on management and administration costs, and many university Vice-Chancellors (often calling themselves Presidents) are now paid £500,000, seeing themselves as CEOs :mad:
Yep. That's my experience.

One of my 'senior' academic colleagues who should know better criticised me today for expecting students to have the language skills to explain complex concepts. Really?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I honestly don’t think people should get their hopes up. Each revelation has been more shocking than the last for the last three years. And still the greased piglet walks away unpunished every single time.
No meaningful punishment anyway.

When is a final judgment going to be made on this arrogant ****?
Seems the enquiry is now asking for all the whats apps and diary's of the pigman, should thank those whats apps released earlier in the year for this as it's highlighted how much the app was used.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They’re just going to refuse to hand them over. Well, they are refusing.
I hope the enquiry brings criminal proceedings against Johnson and his cohorts and skewers the bastards.
Really press and press and press and don’t stop until the full force of the law is reached.
Then send them to Rwanda .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They’re just going to refuse to hand them over. Well, they are refusing.
I hope the enquiry brings criminal proceedings against Johnson and his cohorts and skewers the bastards.
Really press and press and press and don’t stop until the full force of the law is reached.
Then send them to Rwanda .
This was started by Cummings in revenge, and I’m fairly sure his WhatsApp messages have been saved. That’s the problem with greedy selfish people, they are greedy selfish people, and will turn on each other if it benefits them.
Interesting to watch.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What have this cabal done to the Conservative party ?

'Will the last Tory MP please turn out the lights': Whatsapp messages reveal turmoil in the Conservative Party

A trove of leaked WhatsApp messages between MPs has laid bare the scale of the turmoil engulfing the Conservative Party. Panicking Tory MPs warned the party is on course to turn into a “skip fire” and could even “die”. And Simon Hoare, a Conservative MP since 2015, said: “Would the last Tory MP to leave the building please turn off the lights.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-chequers-conservative-whatsapp-b2345494.html

And people wonder why so little thought, time and effort is going into running the country as it plunges from crisis to crisis on a seemingly hourly basis :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here