Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
But all of this won't matter anyway in 18 months time It's a bit ridiculous a current government, well past their sell by date, waiting to be swept out of office talking about how we shape future generations when they and all their ideas will be binned and forgotten after the next election. Political parties only ever think 4 years ahead i.e. getting re-elected, pretty pointless a government trying to run the country based on long term ideology when most of them would struggle to hold their seats

Well, I like to think that the pain this government has inflicted on all of us is enough for even the least attentive swing voters to cast their ballots elsewhere. There is real danger in complacency though.

Don’t underestimate the core Conservative vote, those who will always vote blue regardless of the evidence, those for whom it’s a tribal loyalty rather than caring what’s best for the country. For those people, none of this mess will be the fault of their darlings, it will be the fault of foreigners, gays, liberals, the civil service, and the turncoats who ousted Boris.

We’re living through the ruins of this catastrophic mismanagement, and I suspect while Labour will be better, they won’t be the universal panacea that their tribal supporters are hoping they’ll be either.

Economically we’ve isolated ourselves from our largest potential export market, and signed some very questionable trade deals with other countries. Internationally we’ve embarrassed ourselves and lowered our standing and influence.

If this isn’t enough to get swing voters to the polls, then nothing is, and we need to accept that although technically a democracy, Britain is ruled by the Conservative Party. It’s not a foregone conclusion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, I like to think that the pain this government has inflicted on all of us is enough for even the least attentive swing voters to cast their ballots elsewhere. There is real danger in complacency though.

Don’t underestimate the core Conservative vote, those who will always vote blue regardless of the evidence, those for whom it’s a tribal loyalty rather than caring what’s best for the country. For those people, none of this mess will be the fault of their darlings, it will be the fault of foreigners, gays, liberals, the civil service, and the turncoats who ousted Boris.

We’re living through the ruins of this catastrophic mismanagement, and I suspect while Labour will be better, they won’t be the universal panacea that their tribal supporters are hoping they’ll be either.

Economically we’ve isolated ourselves from our largest potential export market, and signed some very questionable trade deals with other countries. Internationally we’ve embarrassed ourselves and lowered our standing and influence.

If this isn’t enough to get swing voters to the polls, then nothing is, and we need to accept that although technically a democracy, Britain is ruled by the Conservative Party. It’s not a foregone conclusion.
Sadly, true. Many voters simply don’t care who’s in power as long as it doesn’t affect them personally. They believe the lies, and half truths in the press and on tv, and mumble that all politicians are the same.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

If they win again its basically a vindication for their crimes against this nation.

The 2019 win was a vindication of the 2016 lies and look at where its taken us.

We desperately need a change, the Tories in their current form are a threat to democracy. You only have to look at the fringe loons that are increasingly penetrating the party

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is it really an intelligent thing to do, if your party has been accused of lurching to the far right, to call a quite high profile grouping of like minded Ministers, MPs and various other politicos, the National Conservatives, or Nat-Cs for short?
Nat-c's FFS ...

Is this accidental or actually deliberate?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My concern is young people are losing faith in democracy, out voting system is a big part of the problem
Indeed.

I can’t get my head around PR across the country but a local preferential voting system would put an end to MPs getting elected in constituencies where most people don’t want them.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Indeed.

I can’t get my head around PR across the country but a local preferential voting system would put an end to MPs getting elected in constituencies where most people don’t want them.
Not sure if PR is the answer but reform is needed, in 2010 we missed a golden opportunity. Something similar to Australia's reference system would be better.

Its crazy so many voters (on both sides) are basically disenfranchised purely due where they live.

Labour Voter in Chichester - WASTE
Tory Voter in Kemptown - WASTE

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure if PR is the answer but reform is needed, in 2010 we missed a golden opportunity. Something similar to Australia's reference system would be better.

Its crazy so many voters (on both sides) are basically disenfranchised purely due where they live.

Labour Voter in Chichester - WASTE
Tory Voter in Kemptown - WASTE
no wonder the young are disillusioned with democracy when people say voting is a waste.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My concern is young people are losing faith in democracy, out voting system is a big part of the problem
I think that if you have a look at the numbers the young are actually voting in greater proportions over the past decade or so than the did in the decade/s prior to that. They're also voting in larger proportions for ABC

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If they win again its basically a vindication for their crimes against this nation.

The 2019 win was a vindication of the 2016 lies and look at where its taken us.

We desperately need a change, the Tories in their current form are a threat to democracy. You only have to look at the fringe loons that are increasingly penetrating the party
Personally, I'd suggest if they win again, it would be because the Tory voters who might switch get put off by the Labour manifesto if it's full of things they don't like or want. A real election is very different to local elections and opinion polls.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
no wonder the young are disillusioned with democracy when people say voting is a waste.

It is a waste for millions. I've never lived anywhere where the winner hasn't been decided before the election.

It isn't just those who vote for someone else. In FPTP you only need 1 more than the others. If you get 99% of the vote you have no bigger mandate than someone who won with 40%.

There needs to be a change and Labours muted reform to the House of Lords will be very popular.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is a waste for millions. I've never lived anywhere where the winner hasn't been decided before the election.
we have the right to vote, not the automatic right to vote for the winner. no vote cast is wasted.

i'm starting to look forward to changing to PR, more smaller parties getting a lot more airtime, should be interesting. there will still be a centre left block and and a centre right block, power passing between them from time to time.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
we have the right to vote, not the automatic right to vote for the winner. no vote cast is wasted.
In FPTP any vote not for the winner and any of those beyond the one more the winner needs effectively are.

.. and that's the problem. The majority of the people in a constituency (and the country) can end with a leader they don't want.

It's incredibly patronising to think otherwise.

We had an alternative vote in London for the Mayor and it worked very well. Not so much publicised, but the Government have dumped it.

I wonder why.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here