Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good news. The House of Lords defeated some of the more draconian clauses.

They were proposing something straight out of Putin's Russia.

I actually discovered yesterday that my energy supplier has been donating to Just Stop Oil, they need to keep going in what they are doing.

Only yesterday BP made announced record profit, the response was to roll back its net zero targets and double down on hydrocarbons.

Tories in the pockets of big oil, they're getting on easy ride

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Your last line is spot on. So how is appointing Lee Anderson - a lying, opinionated gammony bigot - as deputy chairman working to "change their minds"? If anything it normalises that line of thinking.
Conservatives are just chasing that vote, not interested in changing minds. broad church and all that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
depends if that group is growing or shrinking. these are people that think they are being ignored, they dont like focus on other areas. even though things may be net worse for them, and they aren't traditional Conservatives, might vote that way because someone is speaking for them.

talking to @chickens point, ignoring the bigots probably lost Brown an election and certainly has changed voting patterns the past decade. better to change their minds, not tell them they are wrong.
The Conservatives are heading towards an ideological crisis, you only have to look at the age of their membership to see that.

They have positioned themselves as a neo liberal anti-Europe party. Looking towards the next decade the demographics simply don't add up for them.

They had their chance with the "red wall" but that all about the promise everything deliver nothing blame the other side strategy of Johnson.

The vast majority of those voters will return to Labour at the next election.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I actually discovered yesterday that my energy supplier has been donating to Just Stop Oil, they need to keep going in what they are doing.

Only yesterday BP made announced record profit, the response was to roll back its net zero targets and double down on hydrocarbons.

Lizz Truss used to work for Shell.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Conservatives are heading towards an ideological crisis, you only have to look at the age of their membership to see that.

They have positioned themselves as a neo liberal anti-Europe party. Looking towards the next decade the demographics simply don't add up for them.

They had their chance with the "red wall" but that all about the promise everything deliver nothing blame the other side strategy of Johnson.

Their share of the vote has fallen below 20% in the under 50's, even lower in the under 30's.

They are the pensioners party. They don't been appeal to business people anymore, just clueless....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Talking of BP, this made me smile.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

agree, though they're well into a ideological and identity crisis. where i depart, i'm not convinced they'll lose all those voters back to Labour, lot more open especially if economy doesn't go as badly as expected.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
depends if that group is growing or shrinking. these are people that think they are being ignored, they dont like focus on other areas. even though things may be net worse for them, and they aren't traditional Conservatives, might vote that way because someone is speaking for them.

talking to @chickens point, ignoring the bigots probably lost Brown an election and certainly has changed voting patterns the past decade. better to change their minds, not tell them they are wrong.
Quite a lot of the bigots are switching from the Conservatives to the Reform party.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

I think the sector of the voting public that is bright enough to change its vote according to what’s best for the country has seen what populism and encouraging bigotry has done to Britain. Going by the traditionally Conservative voters among my family group (not representative, I know) two will vote Conservative regardless, but the rest are quite horrified by what the Conservative Party has become and are split pretty equally between not voting and Starmer.

As Jeremy Corbyn proved so well, it’s not about playing well to the home crowd, it’s about bringing in the undecided. By doubling down on dog whistle politics the Conservatives are playing to their local Conservative Clubs, not providing a vision that most of the country desires or endorses. The election could prove me wrong, but to my mind the path that the Conservatives have chosen is a cul de sac.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
agree, though they're well into a ideological and identity crisis. where i depart, i'm not convinced they'll lose all those voters back to Labour, lot more open especially if economy doesn't go as badly as expected.
It highlights how undemocratic the UK system is, we are crying out for a general election as we have a government no one wants, a prime minister who wasn't even voted for by it's own party, but because they cling onto the previous election parliament majority, the opposition would not be able to win a vote in parliament (to demand a general election). They have effectively stolen the conservative support base and turned into a UKIP government. The irony is it all stemmed from Brexit where the mantra was about our own democracy and accountability

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It highlights how undemocratic the UK system is, we are crying out for a general election as we have a government no one wants, a prime minister who wasn't even voted for by it's own party, but because they cling onto the previous election parliament majority, the opposition would not be able to win a vote in parliament (to demand a general election). They have effectively stolen the conservative support base and turned into a UKIP government. The irony is it all stemmed from Brexit where the mantra was about our own democracy and accountability
They have even been trying to wrestle sovereignty away from Parliament to the government, which is dangerous.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which is a game of diminishing returns that will become apparent at the next election.

I really don't understand the strategy of this party unless they are looking at the election after next.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
6 housing ministers in a year
4 home secs in a year
9 Tory party chairman in 5 years
6 health secs in 5 years
10 education secs in 10 years

Little wonder the country is on fire
Think they need to have a word with Tone on succession planning

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford
I've read this three times and no, haven't got there yet.
Sorry
I can type it again but can't make you understand it.
Basically get off your arse and protest while you can, rather than back slapping each other on here and piling on people with different opinions.
We are in this shit together. Far left, centre left, centre right, far right. It's f***ing us all.
Still, it's easier to have a pop at someone with a different opinion on a football forum.
Sleepwalking!

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford
I hope that is typed from your phone outside Parliament or Downing Street while protesting.
Sadly I am guessing not.
If you are fair play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here