Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Peter Oborne is rare beast who left the right wing media moguls to tell the truth.

Johnson may be gone but don't expect much to change, it will be the same people pulling the strings and gaslighting the public. Interesting to see if people continue to fall for the more nonsense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsa_sqdYzM

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting story in the new Private Eye: the palace, with their own legal team, has been stress-testing responses to as many scenarios as possible just in case Johnson tries "a final Trumpian act of illegality" (that is a quote from the article, not from the palace)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I was a little concerned that Truss would win, as she would be an absolutely dreadful prime minister, but having seen that her major supporters are the comedy duo of Dorries and Rees-Mogg I'm sleeping a bit easier. Hilarious to see them on the news claiming that Truss is even more of a committed Brexiteer than the two of them!

Important to remember the Tory membership back in 2019 was heavily infiltrated by UKIP members. These people will decide which way things swing, I'm not sure they will be put off by Norries and Mogg.

On the flipside Truss is probably the leader Starmer will hoping privately hoping for

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Important to remember the Tory membership back in 2019 was heavily infiltrated by UKIP members. These people will decide which way things swing, I'm not sure they will be put off by Norries and Mogg.

On the flipside Truss is probably the leader Starmer will hoping privately hoping for

Yeah but she won't get to the membership with those two as her primary backers. I agree that the more right wing candidate will win the members vote, which is why its the job of the MPs to make sure the most right wing ones are filtered out beforehand. Although I wouldn't put it past them to nominate Badenoch.

My money is on Sunak and Mourdant as the final two, with Mourdant winning, but I wouldn't stake too much on it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Yeah but she won't get to the membership with those two as her primary backers. I agree that the more right wing candidate will win the members vote, which is why its the job of the MPs to make sure the most right wing ones are filtered out beforehand. Although I wouldn't put it past them to nominate Badenoch.

My money is on Sunak and Mourdant as the final two, with Mourdant winning, but I wouldn't stake too much on it.

Fabricant is supporting Penny Mordaunt so that could be a fatal blow :)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Look like Fabricant hoping for a job

I agree with you on the final 2, if it is things could be close

As for Badenoch, she wants to ditch net zero, doesn't she agree with the 2019 Tory manifesto?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was heartwarming to see my MP, Helen Whately, making an absolute plum of herself on Newsnight last night, failing to answer any questions asked about her favoured candidate's plans (Sunak). She is sure he has thought about that and will supply full details in due course, apparently :lolol:. She really didn't like the questions, and has a 'speaking countenance'. Arrogant and underprepped. With a streak of nastiness thrown in.

In contrast the lad she was up against was quite impressive. I can't remember who he's backing. Which is itself an indication of where we are, I suspect.

Lovely also to see mad Nad and the MP for the 18th century backing Truss. Part of me wants her to win because she's so bad, but there is a small chance she might win a general election so . . . . let the decent candidate win!

(Can anyone remind me which one that is? ???)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I understand that the current favourite in the contest so far is the man who has been Johnson's number two throughout the last 2.5 years that have bought us this cost of living crisis and economic disaster, during which time he had primary responsibility for the economy.

A man who was seemingly careless about his own family's finances and only put aspects of that right when the national press kindly pointed it out to him.

A man who, even though tee total, managed to get himself fined for breaking the law by attending drunken parties during lockdown.

With that sort of judgement, he has to be shoo in to continue Johnson's brilliant legacy :lolol:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It was heartwarming to see my MP, Helen Whately, making an absolute plum of herself on Newsnight last night, failing to answer any questions asked about her favoured candidate's plans (Sunak). She is sure he has thought about that and will supply full details in due course, apparently :lolol:. She really didn't like the questions, and has a 'speaking countenance'. Arrogant and underprepped. With a streak of nastiness thrown in.

In contrast the lad she was up against was quite impressive. I can't remember who he's backing. Which is itself an indication of where we are, I suspect.

Lovely also to see mad Nad and the MP for the 18th century backing Truss. Part of me wants her to win because she's so bad, but there is a small chance she might win a general election so . . . . let the decent candidate win!

(Can anyone remind me which one that is? ???)

Helen Whateley is useless when interviewed. I remember her being absolutely destroyed by the awful Piers Morgan during Covid and actually felt a bit sorry for her. I said to my wife,, my God, that woman shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near an interview until she has undergone some serious media training.
I think it has got to be Sunak for me, despite him serving in the Johnson Cabinet for so long.
Truss is mad, as is Braverman , with possibly Badenoch being rather loopy as well. Sahawi is a chancer, Hunt is yesterday’s man, Mordaunt has said nothing yet and Tugendhat seems ok, but I can’t see him as PM at this stage.
Sunak has the brains, but needs to hone his political skills and employ better judgement. Perhaps without Johnson breathing down his neck, he will flourish and mature into the job.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
2 MPs kicked out of PMQ's.

Neale Hanvey and Kenny MacAskill are ordered to leave the chamber following the rowdy scenes.

The two MPs represent Scottish seats and are members of the Alba Party, having left the SNP.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
2 MPs kicked out of PMQ's.

Neale Hanvey and Kenny MacAskill are ordered to leave the chamber following the rowdy scenes.

The two MPs represent Scottish seats and are members of the Alba Party, having left the SNP.

Lindsay Hoyle has completely lost control. Children are taught that 'shut up' is rude. He should stand down as Speaker.
He even had to ask his Deputy their names, as he didn't know.
It's like a school playground.

[tweet]1547176393183838214[/tweet]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Captain Crasherooney Snoozefest?

Boris is demob happy :laugh:

I would imagine that if you have non-dom status and are using offshore trusts then you should laugh along with Johnson and crew at every 'gag'

If you haven't, you do realise who Johnson and his pals are laughing at, don't you :wink:

Now THAT is funny :laugh:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hopefully a couple less of the hateful 8 to worry about after today's vote.

Of course some are better than others and no doubt my preferred candidates will get knocked out early doors anyway leaving a very grim final 2.

C'est la vie :shrug:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Captain Crasherooney Snoozefest?

Boris is demob happy :laugh:

I can only think of one other world leader who constantly resorted to pathetic name calling of opponents. He was also a populist narcissist sociopath. He led an Insurrection in Washington.

Who would have thought BJ would be similar to DT?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here