Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Totally agree, I said similar on the 8 May 2015 when Miliband resigned, 18 weeks later and the results of the Labour Leadership Election were announced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Milliband wasn't PM. An opposition party is free to take as much time as it likes. We are talking about HMG and the PM here.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It must be difficult for you right now, grab the scraps where you can. :thumbsup:

Now now, at no point in our conversation have I disagreed with you (heaven forbid)

These leadership processes take time, whatever the party, personally I think he needs to go now and and the Conservative Party appoint an interim leader while they sort out the leadership!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Given the general political leanings of NSC, a separate thread for those who voted for Boris in 2019 would be a far more interesting read for me, as I'm sure the majority on this one despised Boris from the start.

I am one of those who voted for Boris in 2019. For me, it's a regrettable hour. At the end of the day his character, which the public already knew when they voted him in with an enormous majority 2.5 years ago, has been his downfall. However, most of the mistakes he's made have been in conjunction with the failings of others in the Conservative Party - Cummings, those in Downing Street, Paterson, Pincher. Of course, many of those he employed himself, but others were MPs, voted in by the British public. It reminds me a bit of Manchester United under Ole last season. Yes Ole and the board were ultimately to blame for United's poor performance, but the players have just as much culpability.

The Conservative Party is a mess and whilst the responsibility ultimately lies at Boris' feet for it as leader, I can't see it magically recovering under a new leader as the rest of the party have acted just as abhorrently. Nadhim Zahawi exemplifies this. Who on earth, in any other sphere or job in life, would accept a job from their boss and the next day tell their boss to resign? That's less integrity right there than the man they're claiming to have none! The last two Conservative PM's have been forced to resign, which tells you the viperous state of the party.

Like United, I can't see Boris' successor turning things around. I think I would have preferred a General Election than a leadership contest. Anyone but Rishi for the Conservatives would leave me in a serious quandary if there was an election tomorrow. If Labour actually had some policies I'd be tempted to vote for Keir as I don't mind him as an individual, however much I currently dislike the rest of his party.

This, alongside the painful LBC clip of the bloke who just couldn't understand "parliamentary democracy" is everything that's wrong with our voters and campaigning today.

We even saw it at PMQ's yesterday, with Boris deflecting with statements about the people opposite "getting Corbyn in" instead of answering to his own mistakes.

You did not vote for Boris. You will not vote for Sir Kier. You will vote for a local MP who will represent you in parliament, you will choose them (hopefully) based equally on how you think they will represent you and your fellow constituents and what the policies of the party they represent are and, if you are lucky enough to get a good one (like Caroline Lucas who did an incredible job representing a friend who was a lifelong Tory in a battle over the suicide of his son), the latter will not prevent the former.

This ain't the good ole USA and we don't vote for Presidents. The fact that so many otherwise intelligent and reasonable people (much of the rest of your post is great) think so says a lot about where we are.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Given that Johnson has effectively put together an incredibly hasty scratch team, possibly made up from the last people left in the building (cleaners, bar staff?), are these new vacancies being filled by people who are actually competent to fulfil their new roles?
Are they ever? When was the last time the Minister for Education had a career in anything that remotely resembled the education sector? This is a major gripe of mine.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone else looking forward to the (seemingly regular) bin fest on here about how we need an election as the country voted Boris in and not whoever succeeds him?

There are already a few comments on here and other places. Given the number of times recently there has been a change of PM without an election, it amazes me that there is anyone who doesn't understand that we do NOT vote for who becomes PM, but for what Party we want as our representative in Parliament.

Since 1900 there have been 28 changes of PM, of which only 11 were due to a General Election, 17 were due to change of leadership. so its usual for the PM to change without an election,

I certainly won't be grizzling that the nation voted for president Johnson, not president Gove.

Because that's bullshit.

That isn't the reason that a general election may or may not be a good thing. Of course Starmer will call for a general election. Do you expect him to announce he thinks we are all home and hosed now Johnson is gone?

You will recall that the loudest recent voice calling for a general election when a PM stood down and was replaced from within was. . . . .Johnson! See his blather when Brown became PM. Someone poasted this on this thread aldeady so please try to keep up.

As for the 'seemingly regular binfest' that we 'need a general election', crikey, in your defence of the status quo is that all you've got?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think I’ll leave this thread to you and most others on here to jumping up and down in glee whilst gripping your red rosette. I’m sure your time will come in the next election and hopefully Starmer, if he is still around, does a much better job than BJ and any other Tory in the meantime manages.

As an aside I don’t think BJ has done very well at all but it hasn’t ALL been a shitfest. It’s been a pretty tough couple of years to be PM

In terms of delivery the Conservative agenda, there is an argument to say that he has done a good job, so I can see why many who supported him would think that way. The problem I have isn't getting Brexit done or the handling of Covid both of which can be argued either way. The problem is the pathological disregard for morality and the divisiveness of his approach.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I understand your viewpoint but I am trying to emphasise that charisma and fine oratory is generally 'window-dressing' - useful, but neither 'good' nor 'bad' in itself ; it is an attribute primarily for the user and often disguises the efficacy of the substance. The gullible can easily be won over by fine words.....

I see what you're saying, and a good speaker with bad intentions can lead to very bad outcomes if the masses take it in - see Hitler or Farage - although good vs bad is of course subjective.

Perhaps "good" is the wrong choice of word, but it's certainly important for an effective leader.

It's not just the public you need to win over though and having charisma will help in negotiations internationally and locally. I'll stress that if it's all you've got, like Boris, then you'll quickly get found out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Phew I’m back off ignore…[emoji2357]

Yes. I will read you until you become tedious again. I do that from time to time. You're already nicely on track.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
True to form his resignation speach gave no indication that he understood why the conservative party had done this to him. Truly a man who belives he can do no wrong. He should be moved as far away from the levers of power as is possible

[TWEET]1544990924572430337[/TWEET]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes. I will read you until you become tedious again. I do that from time to time. You're already nicely on track.

I’d never put you on ignore, I’m still pissing my pants at the day (allegedly) your wife logged in on your account and asked us all nicely to wish you a happy birthday [emoji23]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’d never put you on ignore, I’m still pissing my pants at the day (allegedly) your wife logged in on your account and asked us all nicely to wish you a happy birthday [emoji23]

As a football fan, I'm sure you're aware that the most likely cause of a yellow card is playing the man and not the ball :wink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Get over yourself.

You wanted to make a point that Johnson saved us all from Putin. I say that's nonsense. And I didn't say anything about my rosette. The country is in a mess thanks to the conservatives and I have no glee.

Why do I need to get over myself?

I am not saying BJ or the Conservatives have done a good job, I just think slagging off everything about him and everything he has done whilst giving zero credit for a single thing in unprecedented times smacks of being a bit blinkered.

Anyway I will **** off now and leave you to carry on dissing anything blue (except the Albion of course :wink:) :smile:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
How come a snap general election can be organised in 3 weeks,but a Tory Party leadership contest takes 3 months?
Get your fingers out, and take the rubbish out now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I don't remember why I put you on ignore. You sound like a stalker. Get over yourself :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here