Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Given the general political leanings of NSC, a separate thread for those who voted for Boris in 2019 would be a far more interesting read for me, as I'm sure the majority on this one despised Boris from the start.

I am one of those who voted for Boris in 2019. For me, it's a regrettable hour. At the end of the day his character, which the public already knew when they voted him in with an enormous majority 2.5 years ago, has been his downfall. However, most of the mistakes he's made have been in conjunction with the failings of others in the Conservative Party - Cummings, those in Downing Street, Paterson, Pincher. Of course, many of those he employed himself, but others were MPs, voted in by the British public. It reminds me a bit of Manchester United under Ole last season. Yes Ole and the board were ultimately to blame for United's poor performance, but the players have just as much culpability.

The Conservative Party is a mess and whilst the responsibility ultimately lies at Boris' feet for it as leader, I can't see it magically recovering under a new leader as the rest of the party have acted just as abhorrently. Nadhim Zahawi exemplifies this. Who on earth, in any other sphere or job in life, would accept a job from their boss and the next day tell their boss to resign? That's less integrity right there than the man they're claiming to have none! The last two Conservative PM's have been forced to resign, which tells you the viperous state of the party.

Like United, I can't see Boris' successor turning things around. I think I would have preferred a General Election than a leadership contest. Anyone but Rishi for the Conservatives would leave me in a serious quandary if there was an election tomorrow. If Labour actually had some policies I'd be tempted to vote for Keir as I don't mind him as an individual, however much I currently dislike the rest of his party.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Funny how we aren't charging about in a state of panic over such a threat......

I think I’ll leave this thread to you and most others on here to jumping up and down in glee whilst gripping your red rosette. I’m sure your time will come in the next election and hopefully Starmer, if he is still around, does a much better job than BJ and any other Tory in the meantime manages.

As an aside I don’t think BJ has done very well at all but it hasn’t ALL been a shitfest. It’s been a pretty tough couple of years to be PM

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
One thing doing the rounds

IMG-20220707-WA0000.jpg

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I think I’ll leave this thread to you and most others on here to jumping up and down in glee whilst gripping your red rosette. I’m sure your time will come in the next election and hopefully Starmer, if he is still around, does a much better job than BJ and any other Tory in the meantime manages.

As an aside I don’t think BJ has done very well at all but it hasn’t ALL been a shitfest. It’s been a pretty tough couple of years to be PM

Thinking he hasn't "done very well at all" and "it hasn't ALL been a shitfest" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the leader of the country.

In fact, it sounds ****ing awful. :)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
At the end of the day his character, which the public already knew when they voted him in with an enormous majority 2.5 years ago, has been his downfall.

The 'bumbling, lovable buffoon' routine looked pretty tired as more and more folk realised he's thoroughly incompetent, a compulsive liar and utterly shameless.

History will not be kind to Boris Johnson and his stint at No.10, or anyone who enabled him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why on earth does it take until October to elect a new leader of a political party? Just get it done, end of July tops is plenty of time.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Given the general political leanings of NSC, a separate thread for those who voted for Boris in 2019 would be a far more interesting read for me, as I'm sure the majority on this one despised Boris from the start.

I am one of those who voted for Boris in 2019. For me, it's a regrettable hour. At the end of the day his character, which the public already knew when they voted him in with an enormous majority 2.5 years ago, has been his downfall. However, most of the mistakes he's made have been in conjunction with the failings of others in the Conservative Party - Cummings, those in Downing Street, Paterson, Pincher. Of course, many of those he employed himself, but others were MPs, voted in by the British public. It reminds me a bit of Manchester United under Ole last season. Yes Ole and the board were ultimately to blame for United's poor performance, but the players have just as much culpability.

The Conservative Party is a mess and whilst the responsibility ultimately lies at Boris' feet for it as leader, I can't see it magically recovering under a new leader as the rest of the party have acted just as abhorrently. Nadhim Zahawi exemplifies this. Who on earth, in any other sphere or job in life, would accept a job from their boss and the next day tell their boss to resign? That's less integrity right there than the man they're claiming to have none! The last two Conservative PM's have been forced to resign, which tells you the viperous state of the party.

Like United, I can't see Boris' successor turning things around. I think I would have preferred a General Election than a leadership contest. Anyone but Rishi for the Conservatives would leave me in a serious quandary if there was an election tomorrow. If Labour actually had some policies I'd be tempted to vote for Keir as I don't mind him as an individual, however much I currently dislike the rest of his party.

Voted the Tories in with a massive majority, bumble**** only got 25k votes. You do know that you vote for the party and not the leader …

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Why on earth does it take until October to elect a new leader of a political party? Just get it done, end of July tops is plenty of time.

Totally agree, I said similar on the 8 May 2015 when Miliband resigned, 18 weeks later and the results of the Labour Leadership Election were announced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Given that Johnson has effectively put together an incredibly hasty scratch team, possibly made up from the last people left in the building (cleaners, bar staff?), are these new vacancies being filled by people who are actually competent to fulfil their new roles?
Can the so-called government still be run, by people that were not picked for their obvious skills, originally?
It seems like Johnson has cobbled something together, that has very little chance (possibly none) of being efficient in any way at all, but gives him a sniff of a chance to hang around for even longer.
For everyone's sake, it shouldn't be permitted and he needs to go immediately, not be given a few more months to **** things up even more.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Get over yourself.

You wanted to make a point that Johnson saved us all from Putin. I say that's nonsense. And I didn't say anything about my rosette. The country is in a mess thanks to the conservatives and I have no glee.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Anyone else looking forward to the (seemingly regular) bin fest on here about how we need an election as the country voted Boris in and not whoever succeeds him?

There are already a few comments on here and other places. Given the number of times recently there has been a change of PM without an election, it amazes me that there is anyone who doesn't understand that we do NOT vote for who becomes PM, but for what Party we want as our representative in Parliament.

Since 1900 there have been 28 changes of PM, of which only 11 were due to a General Election, 17 were due to change of leadership. so its usual for the PM to change without an election,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here