Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thread started in December….when is the actual meltdown happening? Johnson isn’t going to fold….he’s the card player that carries on betting even though he knows his hand is a pile of shite. When does he go all in ?

Let's see what happens with and after the two by-elections coming up. If the Tories get absolutely trounced it's going to be another cut in the death of a thousand. If they do ok he'll probably survive till the next GE.

But, you've hit the nail on the head with much of your post. This is a PM who is only interested in staying in power until tomorrow. He has no sense of public service, decency or teamwork whatsoever.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He’ll probably have some kind of historically significant demise……..maybe choking on his own vomit at a Bullingdon Club reunion perhaps ?

It probably won't be his own vomit he chokes on. Someone please post that clip from Spinal Tap.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Johnson is on the ropes and probably gone within six months. The Tories will have a choice between one of his cabinet, guilty by association, or to take a tack more to the centre. In the latter, more likely, scenario it's better deals all round for ALL the British public.

I agree with the 6 month point but not the rest. You may underestimate the ERG. They will know when to make their move and the 'floaters' will get the message - this is not a fat lying messy bungle****, this one wears clothes that fit, speaks in sentences and plain English and is not a bungle**** at all, neither is he Jeremy Corbyn. I'm in.

Then its too late.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That's an extreme view Harry, I can't believe that this (or the last ) Tory government had the brains and the ability to carry this out... I'd like to think so at least.

They may not be capable, but it's what they are up to.

Johnson will do anything to become/stay PM and is the hands of the extreme neo-liberal wing of the party.

They know they are marmite and are simply doubling down on their core vote. Anyone who disagrees with them is labelled as left-wing. That is coming from the advisors that were brought in.

It's a strategy borrowed from the USA where the democrats were dismissed as "communist" under Trump.

It's a conspiracy in plain site that is dismissed by your common or garden deep state conspiracy theorist because it's far too obvious.

They like to think such things are hidden and require deep research tools like google to find them out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They may not be capable, but it's what they are up to.

Johnson will do anything to become/stay PM and is the hands of the extreme neo-liberal wing of the party.

They know they are marmite and are simply doubling down on their core vote. Anyone who disagrees with them is labelled as left-wing. That is coming from the advisors that were brought in.

It's a strategy borrowed from the USA where the democrats were dismissed as "communist" under Trump.

It's a conspiracy in plain site that is dismissed by your common or garden deep state conspiracy theorist because it's far too obvious.

They like to think such things are hidden and require deep research tools like google to find them out.

Spot on.

The vast majority of human beings here are against Johnson, and in the States are against Trump.

Unfortunately their opposition is pretty far from co-ordinated and, in some circumstances, even more bonkers than our worst ever PM.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thread started in December….when is the actual meltdown happening? Johnson isn’t going to fold….he’s the card player that carries on betting even though he knows his hand is a pile of shite. When does he go all in ?

For me, the meltdown happened with the Confidence vote, when 40% of Tory MPs said they had no confidence in Johnson. (Perhaps more significantly, 75% of MPs not currently on the government payroll in some shape or form). At that point, any PM genuinely governing in the national interest would have offered their resignation, rather that claiming a "decisive" victory. Failing that, any self-respecting Cabinet would have acted collectively to tell the PM that the game is up. But of course, the current Cabinet is stuffed with spineless political pygmies who possess neither the balls nor the moral courage to act. Pathetic.

So I feel the meltdown has occurred and Johnson and his acolytes are rather hoping that if they keep their heads down for long enough and keep saying stuff like "got all the big decisions right" (which is also complete revisionist bollocks), Big Dog will survive. I'm hoping that although the initial Meltdown has happened, it will be the Aftershocks occurring in Wakefield and Tiverton later this week that will be the catalyst for finally bringing Johnson down.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes I know, but the Dark Lord claims the story is true.

[tweet]1538588391499091969[/tweet]

I'm not surprised (if TRUE) pressure was placed to remove the story. This is potentially incredibly serious.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oddly, "old news" and still available online at the Daily Mail where they serialised Lord Ashcroft's biography of Carrie Johnson.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...RD-ASHCROFT-thats-set-Westminster-alight.html

Even odder then, that The Times (and The Mail) pulled the repeating of the story.

I lived through the 80s and I'm really struggling to remember when an administration had certain newspapers (to this extent) in it's back pocket.

The environment has severely changed. This isn't newspapers taking an ideological view (which they always have), it's them acting as a "client" like some did over Hillsborough.

Some editors must be tossing a coin over where it leaves their publications reputationally.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oddly, "old news" and still available online at the Daily Mail where they serialised Lord Ashcroft's biography of Carrie Johnson.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...RD-ASHCROFT-thats-set-Westminster-alight.html

Even odder then, that The Times (and The Mail) pulled the repeating of the story.

I lived through the 80s and I'm really struggling to remember when an administration had certain newspapers (to this extent) in it's back pocket.

The environment has severely changed. This isn't newspapers taking an ideological view (which they always have), it's them acting as a "client" like some did over Hillsborough.

Some editors must be tossing a coin over where it leaves their publications reputationally.
I think the likes of the Mail and Express have effectively ceased to be "newspapers" in the correct sense of the term. They are both full time propaganda tools.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
34CE4582-E85B-4075-8A22-5F7B93A51EF4.jpeg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not even sure they're trying if this woman is the example of their candidates.

[tweet]1537758313584152578[/tweet]
Lol.

Defending the indefensible.

Is that what the Tory Party have become now ?

The Cult of Johnson ?

Get Rid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here