Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
In an attempt to rescue the lost cause of the Wakefield by-election, the tories have this morning wheeled out somebody to campaign the local streets who can truly connect with the folk of Wakefield - Jacob Rees-Mogg.

If Viz ever did a paedo character it would look like Reece ****ing mogg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
You're correct up to a point, but Seiss payments were made using previous tax returns , cash in hand wouldn't be declared and not counted ...

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Aside trousering furlough fraudulently, all his jobs would have been cash in hand & VAT free. Double winner for him. Not a snitcher by nature but this guy like those awarded dodgy mates PPE contracts, need to be made accountable.

You're correct up to a point, the Seiss payments were made against income tax returns, cash in hand wouldn't be declared and no tax paid ,
Caused plenty of problems for self employed folks who were to ' tax efficient '

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You're correct up to a point, the Seiss payments were made against income tax returns, cash in hand wouldn't be declared and no tax paid ,

I remember being somewhat amused by that realisation at the time :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The good old Gordon Brown selling off the family silverware!! Fact is numerous central banks had been selling off gold over the previous 10 years and, let's be honest, what purpose do the gold reserves serve? Also, apparently the auction was supposed to be secret but Peter Tapsell scuppered that by asking a question in Parliament thus letting the cat out of the bag!!

A remember a poster on here, who was quite high up in the finance world and a Tory suggesting it was a prudent move. The sentence which I remember most was that no sensible modern nation should base it’s finances on the whims of the precious metals market. I’m a lay person but his reasoning made sense to me.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I had this discussion with a self employed fella who complained that the Government had given him no help at all. I queried it, saying that I had been impressed with what I had been able to claim what with small businesses grants and SEISS.

I told him to speak to his accountant who would probably be able to steer him in the right direction, he told me he didn’t have an accountant as he didn’t pay tax. I asked if he filled in his own tax return, nope, he hadn’t filled in a tax return for 15 years.

Although he was paying zero tax, and zero NI, he thought he should be entitled to everything that honest tax payers were.

I stopped using him from that day onwards.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Opposition parties have demanded ministers release their full legal advice over a bill to unilaterally amend the Northern Ireland protocol that is expected imminently in the Commons, saying refusing to do so risked accusations of a cover-up.

The bill, which sets the UK on a potential collision course with the EU and which critics see as Boris Johnson’s latest attempt to mollify rebellious backbenchers and reassert his authority, is scheduled to be published on Monday afternoon.

Lib Dems say failure to provide it would look like ‘another attempt to cover up Boris Johnson’s repeated lies and law-breaking’

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had this discussion with a self employed fella who complained that the Government had given him no help at all. I queried it, saying that I had been impressed with what I had been able to claim what with small businesses grants and SEISS.

I told him to speak to his accountant who would probably be able to steer him in the right direction, he told me he didn’t have an accountant as he didn’t pay tax. I asked if he filled in his own tax return, nope, he hadn’t filled in a tax return for 15 years.

Although he was paying zero tax, and zero NI, he thought he should be entitled to everything that honest tax payers were.

Funny old world, isn't it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That doesn't change the fact that there were estimated to be about 1 million who didn't get any support. That included self employed who had only just started and had yet to file a tax return or owners of businesses that paid them dividends instead of salaries.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tory meltdown incoming...

David Davis just been talking about the problems with the NI protocol , and has said it is because we have got a ‘Remainers Brexit’ - is that true ?

Was the oven ready deal a bit shit ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
David Davis just been talking about the problems with the NI protocol , and has said it is because we have got a ‘Remainers Brexit’ - is that true ?

What is a Remainers Brexit? We were told categorically by David Davis's boss, that Brexit is Brexit. Remain meant nothing changed, but Brexit is what they (the leavers) voted for.

When Remainers were warning anyone who would listen, we were told it was Project Fear. Some wise person said that Remainers would get the blame, so here we are.

:facepalm::mad::mad:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Odd isn't it. There can't be many Remainers who would include:

Leave the Customs Union
Leave the single market
Lose Freedom of Movement
Leave Erasmus

As part of their Brexit.

The one we got felt like a very Brexiteer Brexit.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

It's a load of revisionist codswallop. No Remainer in the right mind wanted the Brexit we got.

It never existed in the first place. As with so many things Boris.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
My neighbour, a carpenter, claimed thousands and never missed a day’s work. Even staying overnight at jobs in private homes when lockdown was in full swing.

He has always been an absolute **** as well, which makes it even more annoying. One of the most idiotic human beings I have ever met. Sort of bloke who claimed a parking spot for himself, even though it is first come first served in our car park, and then would block people in and go out for the night if they dared use “his space”.

The only comfort is he would frequently find his tyres deflated on a Monday morning.

You are correct of course. I know several "trades" who claimed the SEISS payments when they hadn't lost any work. Why? Because they could.

The first two SEISS tranches (the self-employed support scheme) had no requirement that you had to have had lost work / money in order to claim. Whose fault was that? The Treasury and HMRC for failing to ensure that the money Sunak borrowed was being directed to those in need.

Civil Servants are just that. They don't have any business experience and are totally commercially unaware. There were no safeguards in place; it was a free for all. If the government and their civil service minions were stupid enough to say "here's some free money" I can't really blame those who turned around and said "ta, very much".

Wherever there is money there will be crooks and scammers. HMG had an obligation to ensure that safeguards were in place to prevent fraud. They didn't.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I would imagine that the tailors in the Emperor's New Clothes also blamed the little boy who shouted "The King is in the altogether."

If you are pretending that the impossible is possible, you'll need somebody to blame when it doesn't come off and "My powers don't work if there are sceptics in the room" is a perennial favourite of the fake psychic*.

* - Excuse the tautology.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That doesn't change the fact that there were estimated to be about 1 million who didn't get any support. That included self employed who had only just started and had yet to file a tax return or owners of businesses that paid them dividends instead of salaries.

This is correct. Owner-managed incorporated businesses were denied any furlough relief if they didn't make their end of year PAYE return by (IIRC) 19 March. HMRC didn't tell anybody that until 9 April so thousands missed out (including several of my clients). I went to the Treasury and got nowhere. I tried their MP, the former Childish Minister Timmy Loughton and got nowhere. (His semi hysterical response was "what do you expect me to do about it"!!).

So yes. A double whammy. No safeguards in place to stop crooks and fraudsters and denying relief and support to those who were in need.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

You know that this is done to avoid paying tax (national insurance) right?

I struggle to find sympathy for those who have deliberately avoided paying into a taxation system designed (amongst other things) to pay out to those in need, who then didn't receive support when they needed it.

It's like having 10 mates out on a pub crawl, with 9 putting £50 in the whip, then tight-arse #10 expecting a beer every round

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here