Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Most people in NI really like the protocol. In fact as a result its the only UK nation where business is booming.

Now that is a problem for the Tories, a big problem....

I heard a Tory MP on the radio this evening trying to justify not having a referendum to decide which way to go on this! Suddenly the “will of the people” doesn’t apply anymore.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bottom line is that this isn’t the EU’s problem. I look forward to seeing how the UK proposes to square the circle of the Good Friday Agreement and their desire to remove the North Sea border.

Well I wish you had mentioned this complete and utter dichotomy sometime previously in the last 8 years :rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well I wish you had mentioned this complete and utter dichotomy sometime previously in the last 8 years :rolleyes:

I remember when it was called project fear.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The NIP was initiated, negotiated and signed off by Johnson, Frost and co as their 'Oven Ready Brexit Deal' solution to May's Northern Ireland Backstop solution, presumably taking the Good Friday Agreement into consideration.

Now I agree that maybe they should have given some consideration to the logic of the solution, whether it was actually implementable and their ability to implement it before they proposed, negotiated, sold it and signed it off but all these issues were well known and widely reported at the time.

Having proven completely incompetent in that aspect, it couldn't be that Johnson made up and sold something that was completely undeliverable in the form he sold it, has failed to deliver it and still has no logical answer to it (and has never given a toss about the Good Friday Agreement), could it ? :shrug:

I really don't see WTF any of this to do with the EU ?

Great post, and worth adding that, like Scotland, NI voted against Brexit -- apart from the DUP and other unionists, who are now refusing to form a government due to Brexit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Chuck sounds like he does not believe a word of what he has just read out !

Well the Queen didn’t believe any of it, which is why I reckon she wanted nothing to do with it.

An Orwellian set of proposals created entirely to make Boris Johnson’s life easier.

Hang the ****.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Regardless of the Good Friday Agreement? It seems to me that if something isn't working, which this clearly isn't, then it needs changing. I know that to the EU their customs union rules are first and foremost their raisin d'etre, but from the UK (and presumably Ireland)'s point of view, the Good Friday Agreement should get some consideration too.
And yet, the UK government clearly felt the GFA was less important than the UK leaving the customs union.

The solution to this was quite straight forward - don't leave the custom's union. But the idiots running the UK ignored all that and rushed it through parliament.

So "at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious", this is a problem our government created and then signed off.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well the Queen didn’t believe any of it, which is why I reckon she wanted nothing to do with it.

An Orwellian set of proposals created entirely to make Boris Johnson’s life easier.

Hang the ****.

Whilst there are benefits to a public hanging in Trafalgar Square, my preference is the French method.

Boris the Liar would face the guillotine with the eyes of the world watching and over 1 million people to see it live. After the pig head had been relieved of it’s body, the Queen would grasp the scruffy hair lifting it out of the basket. She’d then drop kick the head into the baying mob below who’d have a game of street football with it until almost total disintegration occurred.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And yet, the UK government clearly felt the GFA was less important than the UK leaving the customs union.

The solution to this was quite straight forward - don't leave the custom's union. But the idiots running the UK ignored all that and rushed it through parliament.

So "at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious", this is a problem our government created and then signed off.

I think I heard Dominic Raab say the other morning that the only problem with the NI protocol is that people have actually tried to implement it.

It’s the same with Jacob Rees-Mogg talking a few days ago about postponing again the implementation of customs checks, and basically admitting to all intents and purposes that it can't be done..

In the all-consuming thrust to get BREXIT done they just rushed things through without thinking about the detail, thereby landing them and us in all sorts of manure, while trying to blame everyone else - notably the EU.

But any problems we have with any of this are entirely of the Government’s own making because they don’t have the sense to think about the detail. The over-riding mantra is that it is “what the people want”, but they have taken that to extremes.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.rainbowmigration.org.uk/news/rwanda-is-not-safe-for-lgbtqi-people/

https://www.equaldex.com/region/rwanda

Good to see our wonderful, politically astute Home Secretary being so supportive of gay rights.

Some refugees will have come here having been persecuted in their home countries for their sexuality. So we ship them out to another country where they will....er...be persecuted for their sexuality.

Don't it make you feel proud to be British eh?

Some plum on radio 5 this morning (the pro-Brexit 'expert') claimed that Patel has, at a stroke, solved the illegal channel crossings problem with the brilliant Rwanda solution. What's the opposite of aftertimng? Pre-timing?

Nicky Campbell made some comment about whether (I paraphrase) the NI problem may threaten the prime minister's 'hard won reputation for honesty and integrity'. One of the guests could be heard spraying his coffee :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You’re missing the point that this is the UK’s problem to solve. We’re fine with the agreement which is why we signed it.

Let’s not forget you knew what you were voting for, this was the easiest deal in the world and you held all the aces; how on earth did you get yourself into this position where it seems anything but?

The problem is that gently pointing out the illogic and dishonesty of the Brexit 'plan' is wasted on those who see it simply in terms of 'getting our freedom back'. They really aren't interested in any of the problems.

I suspect that Johnson's view is that the NI/Ireland border issue is a problem for Ireland/EU to resolve. The border in the North Sea isn't really a border, and that they (those on the island of Ireland) will jolly well have to sort it out themselves. And it will take only a moment for him and his gang to turn it all round so it becomes the fault of Sinn Fein.

The sort of people who have been getting on my tits over Brexit for the last 10 years simply don't give a toss about any of this. That's why there are no posts from JCFG, Potty, and the other clowns on this thread. :shrug:

Meanwhile the rest of us watch it all unravelling with a mix of horror and powerlessness as our fears and expectations become manifest.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problem is that gently pointing out the illogic and dishonesty of the Brexit 'plan' is wasted on those who see it simply in terms of 'getting our freedom back'. They really aren't interested in any of the problems.

I suspect that Johnson's view is that the NI/Ireland border issue is a problem for Ireland/EU to resolve. The border in the North Sea isn't really a border, and that they (those on the island of Ireland) will jolly well have to sort it out themselves. And it will take only a moment for him and his gang to turn it all round so it becomes the fault of Sinn Fein.

The sort of people who have been getting on my tits over Brexit for the last 10 years simply don't give a toss about any of this. That's why there are no posts from JCFG, Potty, and the other clowns on this thread. :shrug:

Meanwhile the rest of us watch it all unravelling with a mix of horror and powerlessness as our fears and expectations become manifest.

I think some of them got a thread ban for trying to get it put in the Bear Pit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think I heard Dominic Raab say the other morning that the only problem with the NI protocol is that people have actually tried to implement it.

It’s the same with Jacob Rees-Mogg talking a few days ago about postponing again the implementation of customs checks, and basically admitting to all intents and purposes.

In the all-consuming thrust to get BREXIT done they just rushed things through without thinking about the detail, thereby landing them and us in all sorts of manure, while trying to blame everyone else - notably the EU.

But any problems we have with any of this are entirely of the Government’s own making because they don’t have the sense to think about the detail. The over-riding mantra is that it is “what the people want”, but they have taken that to extremes.

Boris Johnson is a campaigner who doesn't 'do details'.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ern-ireland-withdrawal-agreement-b452212.html

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Oh dear, and so early in the morning too.

[tweet]1524311949118521344[/tweet]

My (young) son overheard his mum muttering a comment on the general trustworthiness of Michael Gove during that interview and shouted “Let’s call him Mr Slippery!”

I keep remembering and chuckling to myself like a loony.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh dear, and so early in the morning too.

[tweet]1524311949118521344[/tweet]

:facepalm:

So when people say Starmer is a bit dull….this is what they prefer?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cocaine is trending on Twitter because of him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here