Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Pretty big win for Labour, this.

If Starmer is fined he goes - which is somewhat sad as he is a good man.

But it opens the door for someone like Burnham to take over and it paints Johnson into a terrible corner.

The Law of Unintended Consequences absolutely smashes the Tory smear.
Burnham isn't an MP so he's out.

Dianne Abbott anyone?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Your bluff well and truly called, Big Dog. Don't see any positives from this for the Tories now they are past the elections. Either he is not guilty and stays with the moral high ground or goes showing Big Dog how to do it and maybe meaning Labour get in someone with a bit of charisma.

Perfectly put.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Your bluff well and truly called, Big Dog. Don't see any positives from this for the Tories now they are past the elections. Either he is not guilty and stays with the moral high ground or goes showing Big Dog how to do it and maybe meaning Labour get in someone with a bit of charisma.
Gus to Labour? ???

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not so sure it is.

If found innocent, Starmer is on a winner, if it’s found he has a case to answer and he is fined, he then resigns , as a man of principal, and as he said he would, piling huge pressure on Johnson.

The only way I can see a downside for the Labour Party, is if Starmer refused to resign.

As I said,on the 6th of May,it seems to me to a bit of a faux par by the Tories and their allies in the gutter press.
The Labour Party wins with either outcome, and Johnson is shown once again to be a dishonourable, sociopathic, excuse for a politician.
I almost hope Starmer is fined.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I said,on the 6th of May,it seems to me to a bit of a faux par by the Tories and their allies in the gutter press.
The Labour Party wins with either outcome, and Johnson is shown once again to be a dishonourable, sociopathic, excuse for a politician.
I almost hope Starmer is fined.

Angela Rayner has also said she would stand down. Wes Streeting and Chris Bryant are both good guys, as is David Lammy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Weird how the Tories seem to be in a much bigger meltdown over this than Labour types are. Almost like they’re starting to think it might backfire on them.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Much bigger issues are unfolding due to the Tories

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, the Democratic Unionist party leader, has rebuffed appeals by the British and Irish governments and said he will block the formation of a new power-sharing administration in Northern Ireland.

Donaldson told the Northern Ireland secretary, Brandon Lewis, on Monday that the DUP will not nominate ministers to the Stormont executive later this week unless Downing Street takes “decisive action” on the Brexit protocol.

Such a boycott would trigger a political crisis and paralyse devolved government in the region just a week after Sinn Féin triumphed in an assembly election, making its deputy leader, Michelle O’Neill, the putative first minister.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, I had previously written to my MP, Mim Davies, complaining about her undying love, sorry, support, for Johnson. I got a reply from some intern which included a data breach (which they had to report themselves) and then I got the same email but from Mim!

I've now had the following reply and wondered if anyone else in a different constituency got the same template reply?

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and for your patience in awaiting my reply. Matters have continued to develop at pace and i wanted to respond during prorogation, before the Queen’s Speech tomorrow, when we set out our agenda for the next two years.

I continue to understand and share the deep anger and upset felt by so many people across the constituency, including yourself, following the news that those across Whitehall, some working for the Civil Service, plus those in the front line of politics, appear to have fallen short in observing the rules they introduced while at work.

This has now been further compounded by the ongoing investigation by Durham Police into a ‘gathering’ at work attended by the Leader of the Opposition, his Deputy and party members.

I want to make it clear that if it had gone to a physical vote in the House of Commons 2 weeks ago, I would’ve voted in favour of a formal inquiry into whether the PM misled Parliament – as it is, a vote was not even required and the House agreed roundly. The investigation will look into whether the PM’s statements on this matter as we await all outcomes of both police investigations and the final Sue Gray report. Until the conclusion of these investigations, I believe it’s important we re-focus on our immediate priorities, including the cost of living challenges, the situation in Ukraine and the upcoming Queen’s Speech tomorrow.

I still feel it is crucial to not pre-judge any outcome of these various inquiries and investigations and let the Police have the space and time they need to do their job.

As I have said previously, the PM has paid his fixed penalty notice immediately and has been clear to the House of Commons and the public that he respects the outcome of the investigation. He has also offered a full and heartfelt apology to the House and has acknowledged the deep hurt that people feel over this issue. I have accepted this apology for this matter and I am keen to move forward like many others to address the issues of the day and help us fully bounce back and thrive post pandemic

I know the PM feels an even greater sense of obligation to deliver on the priorities of the British people, as we all do as life continues to be so difficult, this is particularly reflected in my role as Minister for Employment at DWP.

Supporting Ukraine’s continued resistance to Putin’s barbaric invasion is vital and as someone recently sanctioned by the Kremlin for standing for my views and on behalf of constituents, I believe this focus must be unrelenting, and therefore easing the burden of high energy prices on hard-working families. The PM has my full support in this, and he again showed his leadership on the global stage with his video link appearance to the Ukrainian Government recently – the first global leader to do so, after also being the first to visit Kiev and President Zelensky and recently address their Parliament.

Thank you again for taking the time to write in and share your views - I am always grateful for this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Much bigger issues are unfolding due to the Tories

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, the Democratic Unionist party leader, has rebuffed appeals by the British and Irish governments and said he will block the formation of a new power-sharing administration in Northern Ireland.

Donaldson told the Northern Ireland secretary, Brandon Lewis, on Monday that the DUP will not nominate ministers to the Stormont executive later this week unless Downing Street takes “decisive action” on the Brexit protocol.

Such a boycott would trigger a political crisis and paralyse devolved government in the region just a week after Sinn Féin triumphed in an assembly election, making its deputy leader, Michelle O’Neill, the putative first minister.

Effectively, the DUP want their ball back but they ain't going to get it. This is pure toys out of pram stupidity and is utterly undemocratic. The people of NI deserve to be governed by the people they have elected, the DUP have spat their dummy because they can see their time is over.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So, I had previously written to my MP, Mim Davies, complaining about her undying love, sorry, support, for Johnson. I got a reply from some intern which included a data breach (which they had to report themselves) and then I got the same email but from Mim!

I've now had the following reply and wondered if anyone else in a different constituency got the same template reply?

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and for your patience in awaiting my reply. Matters have continued to develop at pace and i wanted to respond during prorogation, before the Queen’s Speech tomorrow, when we set out our agenda for the next two years.

I continue to understand and share the deep anger and upset felt by so many people across the constituency, including yourself, following the news that those across Whitehall, some working for the Civil Service, plus those in the front line of politics, appear to have fallen short in observing the rules they introduced while at work.

This has now been further compounded by the ongoing investigation by Durham Police into a ‘gathering’ at work attended by the Leader of the Opposition, his Deputy and party members.

I want to make it clear that if it had gone to a physical vote in the House of Commons 2 weeks ago, I would’ve voted in favour of a formal inquiry into whether the PM misled Parliament – as it is, a vote was not even required and the House agreed roundly. The investigation will look into whether the PM’s statements on this matter as we await all outcomes of both police investigations and the final Sue Gray report. Until the conclusion of these investigations, I believe it’s important we re-focus on our immediate priorities, including the cost of living challenges, the situation in Ukraine and the upcoming Queen’s Speech tomorrow.

I still feel it is crucial to not pre-judge any outcome of these various inquiries and investigations and let the Police have the space and time they need to do their job.

As I have said previously, the PM has paid his fixed penalty notice immediately and has been clear to the House of Commons and the public that he respects the outcome of the investigation. He has also offered a full and heartfelt apology to the House and has acknowledged the deep hurt that people feel over this issue. I have accepted this apology for this matter and I am keen to move forward like many others to address the issues of the day and help us fully bounce back and thrive post pandemic

I know the PM feels an even greater sense of obligation to deliver on the priorities of the British people, as we all do as life continues to be so difficult, this is particularly reflected in my role as Minister for Employment at DWP.

Supporting Ukraine’s continued resistance to Putin’s barbaric invasion is vital and as someone recently sanctioned by the Kremlin for standing for my views and on behalf of constituents, I believe this focus must be unrelenting, and therefore easing the burden of high energy prices on hard-working families. The PM has my full support in this, and he again showed his leadership on the global stage with his video link appearance to the Ukrainian Government recently – the first global leader to do so, after also being the first to visit Kiev and President Zelensky and recently address their Parliament.

Thank you again for taking the time to write in and share your views - I am always grateful for this.

My answer from Maria Caulfield.

Many thanks for your email on the Fixed Penalty Notice issued to the PM over events in Downing Street.

As you will know I have spoken out publicly on these events as I fully recognise the anger and frustration people feel on this matter.

I can confirm that I will be voting for a referral of the matter to the privileges committee to be considered once the Police Investigation is fully completed and the Sue Gray report published.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Oh dear, she seems to have forgotten that Ursula Von der Leyen visited a day or two before, I suppose Tory MP's are not allowed to acknowledge the existence of a " Global Leader " of some 500 million people ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm genuinely baffled why Starmer hasn't resigned today based solely on how he seems to think these things should work.

Back in January, the mere announcement of an investigation into Johnson et al's lockdown behaviour was enough for Starmer to presume guilty unless proven innocent and called for Johnson to resign...

[tweet]1488176626642923521[/tweet]

So why, on the day police confirmed they are investigating his own behaviour relating to lockdown laws, has he not walked away?

And to reiterate, I've not got a horse in this race. I have no time for Boris Johnson and if I were made to vote for one or the other, then Starmer gets my 'X', but he can't have it both ways.

Having no horse in this race, I wonder what you make of today's statement ?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Thanks for sharing. I got the same stock response and I replied as follows..

Good afternoon,

Arguably I am more incensed than ever that Ministers can claim to know what the PM feels!

How do you judge whether an apology is 'heartfelt'? Certainly, some of your colleagues commented on the contrast between public and private statements.

You may have accepted Mr Johnston's apology but ultimately it is for the electorate to decide on its veracity.

I am genuinely shocked that appalling acts of tyranny and tragedy being played out in the Ukraine are also being put into the mix. One would expect the Prime Minister to make the right moves over that matter. Any Prime Minister would have done the same!

I am sorry that you replied in this way. It does you no credit.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Boris Johnson’s government will force through police powers to prevent disruptive yet peaceful protests as one of 38 new bills in Tuesday’s Queen’s speech.

In a move to reinstate measures thrown out by the House of Lords in January, the government will announce new offences to stop protesters from “locking on” to infrastructure, extend stop and search powers, and make it illegal to obstruct transport projects.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Hard border between NI and Republic incoming?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-to-tear-up-northern-ireland-protocol-reports

Liz Truss is reportedly preparing draft legislation that would unilaterally scrap key parts of the Northern Ireland protocol removing the need for checks on goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

No bill is expected to be announced in the Queen’s speech on Tuesday but the foreign secretary is reported to have asked officials to prepare the draft, which would put the UK in breach of its treaty obligations......

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Chuck sounds like he does not believe a word of what he has just read out !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here