Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Indeed..
22048830612763df52116d68b4123abb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to think what the Private Eye caption would be on that picture.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That’s because Cummings treats the truth as a fluid variable . He’ll use truth or lies depending on his motives and agenda. Luckily, for some reason it’s actually quite easy to spot when Cummings is lying and when he’s telling the truth. Bizarrely, he’s terrible at both.
Sounds exactly like our current Prime Minister?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Cummings is quite convenient for those who continue to support Boris Johnson. He held very little power within Government (much to his frustration) and eventually jumped ship.

We tended to view politicians (and political figures) within the Conservative Party pre pandemic as remain or leave, but as the pandemic hit other major differences came apparent.

Cummings was very much on the pro-lockdown early, led science lead the way branch. Other Tories very much not so.

He clearly lied (in the garden) for the reasons for breaking the rules (he did), but his subsequent story that he fled London (rightly or wrongly) because of death threats is probably true.

Retrospectively, it explains the Police visiting his fathers house (which was witnessed) to check he was ok, whilst he was staying in a house on the farm grounds.

When I look back retrospectively what happened in 10 Downing Street is far far worse that whatever Cummings did or didn't. Unfortunately we didn't know about it at time.

I still think he is a complete oddball (with oddball ideas) who should be nowhere near Government. But I've seen little evidence to suggest he is lying about Johnson. If anything he has held back and merely confirmed what has been leaked from elsewhere.

He wasn't the source of original party leaks. When journalists are talking about "duty of care" to their sources, they aren't talking about Cummings.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ok, so much water has gone under the bridge since Johnson became PM that if anyone wants a refresher course then watch Dispatches on All 4 from this evening (don't think it is a repeat from earlier in the week but apologies if it is)
My God I have missed Andrew Neill on mainstream TV.
Very eye opening and a must watch if you are contributing to this thread.
Spoiler alert to get you interested.
He interviews a furious red wall MP who could not see his very ill wife in hospital (only disclosed tonight)while the parties are going on.
He then gets a 1 to 1 with Johnson who promises him the earth and it actually looks like he is softening towards Johnson, and he is an ex Labour Councillor.
Very good programme.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ok, so much water has gone under the bridge since Johnson became PM that if anyone wants a refresher course then watch Dispatches on All 4 from this evening (don't think it is a repeat from earlier in the week but apologies if it is)
My God I have missed Andrew Neill on mainstream TV.
Very eye opening and a must watch if you are contributing to this thread.
Spoiler alert to get you interested.
He interviews a furious red wall MP who could not see his very ill wife in hospital (only disclosed tonight)while the parties are going on.
He then gets a 1 to 1 with Johnson who promises him the earth and it actually looks like he is softening towards Johnson, and he is an ex Labour Councillor.
Very good programme.

Yes very good, I'm half way through.

And as hard it is for the Corbynistas (*) of this world to swallow, it will be those who know him and have known him that will bring him down.

(*) Not sure where that leave Piers Corbyn who was a personal friend of Johnson when he was London Mayor.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He then gets a 1 to 1 with Johnson who promises him the earth

But isn't that exactly what Johnson is famous for? It's been said over and over again that people come out of a meeting with him thinking he's on their side ... until they discover opponents think that too.

The European Super League was a classic example. The chairmen think, following a meeting with Johnson, that he's given them the nod, only to find him decrying the move a couple of days later

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t worry, Boris is over the party thang and now reckons he can make Brexit be a good thing. Out of nowhere.

54C2D0B7-E47F-41AA-B40B-C1BABB88C138.jpeg

C3B3A14F-1AD1-4CED-B231-6A22D34A2BC4.jpeg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Don’t worry, Boris is over the party thang and now reckons he can make Brexit be a good thing. Out of nowhere.

View attachment 144530

View attachment 144531
I'm not sure there are any real EU rules left to tear up any more? Besides if we find any and start to disobey or ignore them it merely means the EU will continue with its rules and standards on their side of the border..... which will then involve more paperwork and delay....the queue for Dover will start at Maidstone.

Poor poor Johnson, Brexit is about the only cause left in his locker and despite the " Oven Ready Deal " he is doomed to keep resurrecting and reheating the Sovereignty battle that was supposedly won a long time ago.

Time for a change of direction maybe? How about a fantastic new Bridge to somewhere?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Torys are in great danger of turning into the Banana Republicans unless they boot out Johnson quickly.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

View attachment 144530

View attachment 144531

Red tape, LOL....

Away from their delusion, the hard reality is the Vote Leave levy goes ahead in April, on top of sky rocketing cost of living

Cronyism, incompetence, huge benefit fraud and trade sanctions all cost money.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Report being released later this morning to Boris. So not much longer to go until we are all smeared in Whitewash and can start planning for the Brexit Benefit Festival Bonanza.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

View attachment 144530

View attachment 144531

Fantastic, I've been waiting for all the benefits to kick in, sunny uplands something or other. . .

Now we're not in the EU I see the Express and Mail can share fonts. another winningest benefit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here