Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
lets get back on track then....

bojoparty.jpg

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The point is that I voted to leave and had as much idea of the ramifications of leaving as you had about those of staying in. The status quo was never on offer. It is a constantly evolving institution. I can remember having exactly this discussion on the Brexit thread in 2016 but if you want to keep rehashing it I’m up for it.

Staying in was the status quo. I had a lot of issues with the EU especially political union however compared to the cluster**** of people leading the brexit campaign it was small potatoes.

Let’s face you only have look at NI to see what a cluster**** it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Theresa May tried several times but Johnson and the ERG Tories defeated her each time.

and the Liberals, SNP and TIGers. 3 votes away from a Customs Union, with 85 abstentions. blind tribalism led us here.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I see its gone the normal way of a Brexit thread :D

It has become a Brexit thread, and this does concern me. All the while we’re unable to let go of Brexit, it is simplicity itself to paint those against the current regime as simply “sore losers”

There are a lot of totally valid criticisms of this government that deserve to be heard, and I fear we are scoring an own goal each time we allow ourselves to hark back to Brexit. A lesson we still don’t seem to have learnt is to not allow ourselves to be goaded into retreading that ground. The referendum result is in, the initial process of ceasing to be a member of the EU has been completed, and the journey from that decision to a new normal is going to take decades of work.

In the meantime, we have, in global financial and political terms, been separated from the herd, and those with the power and ability to profit from those events are circling us joyfully.

It’s up to us to find or create a political party with integrity and vision to build something good in the now, and look forward, rather than continue to lament decisions past.

Of course, that would also require a fit for purpose electoral system, but both Labour and the Conservatives love having a captive audience. My personal advice to anyone who gives a damn about democracy would be to vote for the party with the policies you find the least odious that is committed to implementing proportional representation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
and the Liberals, SNP and TIGers. 3 votes away from a Customs Union, with 85 abstentions. blind tribalism led us here.

Blind tribalism is still leading us.

See the Tories making excuses - it was only 10 minutes. Rees-Mogg - Johnson got all the big decisions right. Dorries - buy a cake in the office and it's a party,
Oborne, Raab etc the list of blind leading the blind goes on.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
In the immediate to mid-term context, at least, this statement is utter nonsense, and you know it.

It’s completely disingenuous to suggest that remaining in the EU would not have been the status quo!

Literally everything is changing on some level all the time. So unless you’re of the unorthodox philosophical opinion that status quo can never exist, then it’s completely correct and reasonable to say that remaining in the EU would have been the status quo.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Sue Gray report to be split in half? It's been suggested by #10 spox that the Gray report might be split in two, with the matters *not* being investigated by the police released once available while the matters that *are* being investigated remain sealed.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory meltdown incoming...

Sue Gray report to be split in half? It's been suggested by #10 spox that the Gray report might be split in two, with the matters *not* being investigated by the police released once available while the matters that *are* being investigated remain sealed.

This is going to give Boris the Liar plenty of breathing space.

Get ready for Tory MP’s new sound bite.

“We need to wait for the Met Police investigations to conclude and then the second part of Sue Gray’s report to be concluded in order to make a judgment”.

The PM will hope this all goes away and that by the time the second part comes out, people will have forgotten or will no longer care (see some people’s reaction to the Government’s horrific handling of the beginning of the pandemic for an example).

He must be odds on to survive for the foreseeable future now.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

So they're going to release a report saying:

this lot of stuff is not valid, but there's 'some' other stuff that is being investigated further?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We were told that because Sue Gray was just a civil servant with limited powers her "Report" would simply be a fact-finding mission, NOT an opinion piece with any weight.

How can a police enquiry necessitate the delay in publication of Grey's Report? She is simply telling Parliament what she was told by the people involved in the alleged parties.

Anything other than a 'Boris Not Guilty' verdict from the Police Enquiry is going to make the Met Police look useless at their job, which is to enforce the law of the land. Get wyour paintbrushes ready for the whitewash, 2023 Cressida Dick peerage / Damehood / OBE incoming.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is going to give Boris the Liar plenty of breathing space.

Get ready for Tory MP’s new sound bite.

“We need to wait for the Met Police investigations to conclude and then the second part of Sue Gray’s report to be concluded in order to make a judgment”.

The PM will hope this all goes away and that by the time the second part comes out, people will have forgotten or will no longer care (see some people’s reaction to the Government’s horrific handling of the beginning of the pandemic for an example).

He must be odds on to survive for the foreseeable future now.

[tweet]1485955911122395136[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We were told that because Sue Gray was just a civil servant with limited powers her "Report" would simply be a fact-finding mission, NOT an opinion piece with any weight.

How can a police enquiry necessitate the delay in publication of Grey's Report? She is simply telling Parliament what she was told by the people involved in the alleged parties.

Anything other than a 'Boris Not Guilty' verdict from the Police Enquiry is going to make the Met Police look useless at their job, which is to enforce the law of the land. Get wyour paintbrushes ready for the whitewash, 2023 Cressida Dick peerage / Damehood / OBE incoming.

reasons will be because it may prejudice and interfere with outcome of an investigation (like the current publicity doesnt). its always the reason given once police involved. and point of order a court is involved in a guilt verdict, not the police. they can fine them or refer to CPS for prosecution if appropriate.

this is going to run until easter. people screamed for a policeman and now they have one, they dont want them.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Do you know why the court tried to reverse Brexit? Because Theresa May's QC James Eadie, admitted the referendum was only advisory, not mandatory. If it had been mandatory, it would have been annulled for legal reasons. It was just an opinion poll.

That's why other parties were pushing for a second referendum on the deal, when the public knew what was available.

The Tories knew then they were breaking the law and have continued to break the law over two years later. This country is a laughing stock around the world.

As I understand it the court didn’t annul Brexit. Presumably that means it isn’t against the law ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here