Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
View attachment 171421

Daily Mail’s front page for tomorrow.

They’ve (understandably, given their readership) chosen to ignore the latest Tory scandal, instead waging a “war on woke”. Whatever that means.

Notice the picture of an attractive woman taking up the majority of the front page. Don’t get me wrong, the papers all do it - when things are going badly for Labour governments their papers do the same.

But wow. Talk about brazen.
It means an ‘investigation into poor use of taxpayers’ money’.

Apparently some public bodies have been spending money on ‘equality consultants’!

How on earth is the exchequer going to line the pockets of Tory cronies if the cash is being spent on genuine consultancy fees first!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
View attachment 171421

Daily Mail’s front page for tomorrow.

They’ve (understandably, given their readership) chosen to ignore the latest Tory scandal, instead waging a “war on woke”. Whatever that means.

Notice the picture of an attractive woman taking up the majority of the front page. Don’t get me wrong, the papers all do it - when things are going badly for Labour governments their papers do the same.

But wow. Talk about brazen.
As brazen as it is predictable - another dead cat thrown on the table to divert attention, and keep (mostly) elderly and gullible Tory voters distracted; comfortably cocooned in their impenetrable bubble of ignorance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As brazen as it is predictable - another dead cat thrown on the table to divert attention, and keep (mostly) elderly and gullible Tory voters distracted; comfortably cocooned in their impenetrable bubble of ignorance.
Talking of which I'm popping over to see Moo-ma Stat and her husband, in a bit.
He is very vexed by the state of the nation, which is comforting, until he tells you who's entirely to blame...

...Tony Blair.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Guardian, Independent, Metro all lead with this story, unsurprisingly. Telegraph on the other hand has seven different stories on its front page but not this one. Also not on front page of the Times, nor any of the tabloids. Express does give it space to be fair.

The 'news' is far more subjective than we think i guess.

I don't think this is really a left right bias, after all she's not in the tory party anymore and PPE Medpro is being sued by the UK government for £122m plus costs for "breach of contract and unjust enrichment". So the Tory government are after her. I think this speaks more to the influence and friendships of certain rich individuals with newspaper editors.
The fact is the right wing press are non-dom owned and do not act in the interests of our country and will not speak truth to corrupt Tory power.

The whole Mone thing is just one contract, the Tories won't go after any others, too many mates and donor involved.

No one will go to jail

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The fact is the right wing press are non-dom owned and do not act in the interests of our country and will not speak truth to corrupt Tory power.

The whole Mone thing is just one contract, the Tories won't go after any others, too many mates and donor involved.

No one will go to jail
Indeed not - the rule of law does not apply to Tories and their wealthy chums.

Yet if a working-class person, Leftie or environmental protester breaks a law, or a poor person dishonestly claims £5 in social security, the Tories and their Pravda-like press are demanding tough crack-downs and long custodial sentences.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Talking of which I'm popping over to see Moo-ma Stat and her husband, in a bit.
He is very vexed by the state of the nation, which is comforting, until he tells you who's entirely to blame...

...Tony Blair.
We all have someone like that in the family. In ours it is my son's partner's parents. Within minutes of meeting them they were on about how refuse collection had been ruined now 'labour have got in'. They live in Canterbury (whose council flits between tory and 'no overall control'). They have a labour MP, though, so they must be right. After that bit of insight they then started banging on about 'as you like-ees'. We haven't invited them round for Christmas.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Indeed not - the rule of law does not apply to Tories and their wealthy chums.

Yet if a working-class person, Leftie or environmental protester breaks a law, or a poor person dishonestly claims £5 in social security, the Tories and their Pravda-like press are demanding tough crack-downs and long custodial sentences.
The Mone's didn't just fleece the public purse but they don't live here and they don't pay tax here (IOM residents)

Making 30% margin from a pure trading transaction is absolute profiteering, 10-15% would be more than norm on that volume of business.

None that £60m will be returned to us in the form of tax of corporation tax.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Some Tory voters will see absolutely nothing wrong with what she did - market forces and all that. In fact some no doubt would aspire to do exactly the same given the chance.

The only recriminations will probably be kicking her out of the house of lords - I'm sure she will be heart broken as she counts her ill gotten gains. No jail sentence and no money will be recovered. Move on, nothing to see here just another day in Tory Britain

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Miriam Cates now under investigation by Parliamentary Standards.

What a charming bunch they really are.
Cue Tories whingeing that they are victims of a witch-hunt by the Left or the Woke :shrug:

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Some Tory voters will see absolutely nothing wrong with what she did - market forces and all that. In fact some no doubt would aspire to do exactly the same given the chance.

The only recriminations will probably be kicking her out of the house of lords - I'm sure she will be heart broken as she counts her ill gotten gains. No jail sentence and no money will be recovered. Move on, nothing to see here just another day in Tory Britain
Greed, arrogance and entitlement. Three of the key cornerstones of Tory Party governance. Add in a childish ability to blame everyone else other than themselves and voila, here we are.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Greed, arrogance and entitlement. Three of the key cornerstones of Tory Party governance. Add in a childish ability to blame everyone else other than themselves and voila, here we are.
From the Party which preaches individual responsibility - so a fourth cornerstone of Tory Party governance is brazen hypocrisy.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Water firms use up to 28% of bill payments to service debt in areas of England

More than a quarter of water bills in London and parts of the south of England have been spent paying interest on the debt held by privatised water companies, the Guardian can reveal.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Here we go...

The Tories will lose the next election unless they commit to leaving the European convention on human rights, the leaders of the rightwing New Conservatives group have said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here