Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A clip of the LBC conversation is on Twitter. He also said a school in Bradford went on a trip to Liverpool and white kids couldn’t go. JOB pressed him on his claim, so he said the school was Buttershaw (there isn’t one) and the teacher was Mrs Hedges. There is another school near there but Mrs Hedges is the caretaker.
It sounds like Facebook gossip to me.
We seem to exist in a world where facts are secondary to what people WANT to believe.. You can get loads of people " Converted " to an issue by spoon feeding them their prejudices. ... An ex work colleague popped up on Facebook a while back absolutely rabid about some students vandalising a war memorial in Portsmouth.. Saying they should be thrown out then jailed and flogged.... I had a look at the film clip in the original post a couple of times... I tracked the source down to Portsmouth, Virginia, USA! Yes, it was a war memorial too! Except it was a monument to Confederate Generals and troops during the American Civil War!

So someone in Rustington was demanding retribution because she assumed it was our Portsmouth.....without checking the facts.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This and the pandemic is ending too as these figures demonstrate.
Indeed, what better way to avoid scrutiny of Johnson's handling of Covid by throwing our masks away and piling in to enclosed spaces and mixing again? let's keep this crisis bubbling eh?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We seem to exist in a world where facts are secondary to what people WANT to believe.. You can get loads of people " Converted " to an issue by spoon feeding them their prejudices. ... An ex work colleague popped up on Facebook a while back absolutely rabid about some students vandalising a war memorial in Portsmouth.. Saying the should be thrown out then hailed flogged.... I had a look at the film clip in the original post a couple of times... I tracked the source down to Portsmouth, Virginia, USA! Yes, it was a war memorial too! Except it was a monument to Confederate Generals and troops during the American Civil War!

So someone in Rustington was demanding retribution because she assumed it was our Portsmouth.....without checking the facts.

Reminds me of that angry mob a few years ago who turned up and vandalised the house of a known local paediatrician. I think that was also Portsmouth by coincidence, the UK one.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Reminds me of that angry mob a few years ago who turned up to vandalise the house of a known local paediatrician. I think that was also Portsmouth by coincidence, the UK one.

It didn't happen. Articles have been written about it, it was reported second hand but there was no actual evidence it actually took place.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think Ive misunderstood this levelling up thing.

Seems we've gone up a level and life is much more difficult for the majority of people.

But its ok. Billionaire Rishi Sunak understands what its like.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

Didn't it ?
(looks like it was Newport though, not Portsmouth)

Yes that was the story (it's infamous) and well done the Guardian for keeping it up there.

Edit....

The story was reported in the News of The World and repeated by other papers. However:

https://pressgazette.co.uk/a-tale-told-too-much-the-paediatrician-vigilantes/

Bit more complicated than I implied. There was graffiti, but there was no mob. She wasn't even home at the time. The police put it down to some random graffiti and nothing to do with her job.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Reminds me of that angry mob a few years ago who turned up and vandalised the house of a known local paediatrician. I think that was also Portsmouth by coincidence, the UK one.

An urban legend, Easy.

"The tale of the pediatrician/pedophile mix-up became an emblem of the age. It was instant folklore, a damning indictment of the mob, of outrage culture, and of what happens when the press doesn’t do its due diligence.

One small problem: It didn't happen."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pan...h-in-2000-gave-birth-to-an-urban-legend-v26n1

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes that was the story (it's infamous) and well done the Guardian for keeping it up there.

Edit....

The story was reported in the News of The World and repeated by other papers. However:

https://pressgazette.co.uk/a-tale-told-too-much-the-paediatrician-vigilantes/

Bit more complicated than I implied. There was graffiti, but there was no mob. She wasn't even home at the time. The police put it down to some random graffiti and nothing to do with her job.
We should also fondly remember the wonderful lie about Birmingham City Council trying to " Cancel " Christmas and replace it with " Winterval "... That really got the loons spitting feathers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We should also fondly remember the wonderful lie about Birmingham City Council trying to " Cancel " Christmas and replace it with " Winterval "... That really got the loons spitting feathers.

Yes, because the council couldn't afford to put lights up at New Year so rolled the whole thing into one....

Quote from the council:

...there was a banner saying Merry Christmas across the front of the council house, Christmas lights, Christmas trees in the main civil squares, regular carol-singing sessions by school choirs, and the Lord Mayor sent a Christmas card with a traditional Christmas scene wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

:lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

pretty sure that did happen, as a marketing plan for the wider festive season. later got replayed as cancelling Christmas.

as for social media rumours, they are rife and often see posters here parroting popular lines trending on twitter, without care for truth or context.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
just heard the tail end of a marvellous conversation on 5Live between Tony Livesey and a lady called Yvonne from oop North.... she said that "Boris was doing a marvellous job and the parties were nothing to worry about, there must have been a hundred people all cramped in Downing Street working 15 hour days and so deserved a bit of a breather.....they were all socially distanced in the leaked pictures anyway so thats all right.. besides Boris has fought hard to get Brexit done and he has got married and had two kids and even got covid himself while still commanding the marvellous vaccination programme... somebody wants to get him because he got Brexit done... "

Its really hard to understand the people who think that a, Think Johnson works a 15 hour day and b, He " Got Brexit Done " yes, the agreement that we are trying to tear up. !!!! It's only bettered by the caller on LBC that voted for Johnson because he heard that they were forced to stop serving bacon in a Community Centre in a nearby constituency, which he has never been to !

And the bloke that said they had 8 food banks now, but they had none under labour! :facepalm:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
pretty sure that did happen, as a marketing plan for the wider festive season. later got replayed as cancelling Christmas.

as for social media rumours, they are rife and often see posters here parroting popular lines trending on twitter, without care for truth or context.

It was to save money, until it was twisted by Eric (ate too many) Pickles.

Not widely reported but similar happened in Lambeth and that was even bigger bollocks. In a similar exercise the council didn't refer to the lights as "Christmas" because they were up for much longer than that, but didn't refer to them as anything in particular either.

This story was reported locally (quite factually) but picked up the tabloids and twisted to to suggest they were offensive to Muslims.

I remember it very well and knew a number of local Muslims shop keepers who were utterly bemused why they would find Christmas offensive having stocked their shops with Christmas Crackers and booze.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Probably far left politics of envy woke nonsense, bitter at the privately educated however...

[tweet]1483852236337860614[/tweet]

Blimey...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Businessman John Cauldwell has just been on Newsnight taking part in one of their usual two tories vs one opponent panels and said that he supported Johnson at the last election, but has been upset at the sleaze around this government. Why would he be surprised at corruption in a system that allows someone like him to give half a million quid to his preferred party and then get invited onto the telly to give his views, just because his opinion is worth £500,000 more than most of ours?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here