Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Torquay vs. Brighton and Hove Albion - FA Cup 2nd Round

steve-c

we now have to get a good draw tomorrow, away to a big prem team or home to a lower club ...............i wonder:dance::dance:

3rd round here come the seagulls :albion2::albion2:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
How do I pick up the live draw abroad on the net...Ive got to at least hear it??? anyone know?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Preston away.

But ideally Arsenal away

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Sounds like we weathered quite a storm...

Nicky Forster's red-hot goal streak continued this afternoon on the English Riviera as the forward's fifth brace of the season booked Albion's place in the hat for the third round.

The Albion hitman took his tally into double figures with a 63rd minute header, before netting his 11th of the campaign in stoppage time with another clinical finish.

As befitted the encounter, the match got off to a blustery start, with the hosts putting the Seagulls under pressure in the early stages.

Albion soon regained a footing in the match, but found it difficult to come to terms with a strong wind behind them and their forward passes would regularly whiz straight through to Martin Rice.

On one occasion where they did manage a more measured approach, Jake Robinson's shot deflected just wide.

The first real opening fell to Danny Stevens after Chris Hargreaves's perseverance in the area, but the tiny winger - who was dwarfed even by Robinson - saw his fierce shot deflected just past Michel Kuipers's right post.

The Albion keeper then had to be quick off his line to deny Elliott Benyon as he raced through onto a short backpass from Dean Hammond.

Despite his size, Stevens was proving to be quite a handful, and after bewitching Adam El-Abd with a Cruyff turn on the left flank, caused panic in the area with a neat cross, but Hammond cleared the danger.

Albion started the second half brightly, and when Forster - who had been anonymous before the break - jinxed his way into the area, the home sided needed a desperate block from captain Steve Woods to keep out Robinson's shot.

At the opposite end, Kuipers was again called into action to tip Tim Sills's back-header over the bar.

But Forster finally broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute, after another marauding run down the right from strike partner Bas Savage. The big forward's deep cross was controlled by Dean Cox, who then clipped the ball back into the six-yard box for the unmarked Forster to head home.

Albion then spent the remainder of the half repelling Torquay's bombardment as the Blue Square Premier side desperately went in search of an equaliser.

With time running out Sills had a brilliant chance for the Gulls, but lofted over the bar after beating Joel Lynch and the advancing Kuipers to a through-ball.

Perhaps the best opportunity fell to Lee Phillips with just three minutes to go, but the midfielder somehow volleyed over from six yards when unmarked at the far post.

Cox could have made the last few moments a little more comfortable for Albion, but his low curling effort was turned around the post by Rice.

But in stoppage time Cox fed the ball through to Forster, who raced in on goal and drilled the ball past Rice to make sure that Albion will be watching Sunday's third-round draw with interest.

Torquay: (4-4-2): Rice; Robertson, Todd, Woods, Nicholson; Stevens (Welsh 71), Mansell, Hargreaves, Phillips (Hill 88); Benyon (Bedeau 71), Sills. Subs not used: Rayner (GK), Hockley.

Albion: (4-4-2) Kuipers; Whing, El-Abd, Lynch, Richards; Robinson (Loft 68), Fraser (Martot 81), Hammond, Cox; Forster, Savage. Subs not used: Sullivan (GK), Butters, Revell.

Referee: Iain Williamson

Yellow Cards: Mansell (Torquay); Fraser, Forster, Loft (Albion)

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
bbc devon comm said 1700 albion fans

I was there, a good turn out, but I would estimate only about half of that. I think the away capacity there is only about 1150.

Not much mention in this thread of the conditions, the wind made any good play very difficult. We scored both goals into it after not doing much with it behind our backs. High goal kicks were heading back towards the keeper before they landed! I can confirm our goals were at the Torquay end.

This match could very easily have been a banana skin. A good solid performance from the team saw us through. We had the extra bit of class that you would expect with a two division gap. Forster's two calm clinical finishes won us the match. First time i have seen him in the flesh, well impressed. Bring on the draw :drink::drink::drink:

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just got back, not a great performance but we won which is the main thing, roll on tomorrows draw

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I bet we get somebody really crap like Hull away !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any of the big four would have great comedy value at Withdean. You think we have trouble allocating tickets for a cup game, how would they cope with the allocation of so few tickets to the thousands of travelling fans that they have.

Love to hear their comments after seeing their team from our away end as well.

Or would we consider or be allowed to switch the venue to their ground?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Or would we consider or be allowed to switch the venue to their ground?

As I understand it (and I may be wrong), the only circumstance under which we could change the location would be if it was deemed a health and safety risk for the match to be held at Withdean.

Even then, I'm not sure it would switch to the opposition ground, more likely just to the nearest suitable ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here