Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Tip for England's next game

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
unless we ever try for example Gerrard behind Rooney we will never know.

Ive seen Heskey and Rooney and Heskey and Owen etc and it gets us to the Q Finals.

Perhaps you should phone Fabio and tell him. He probably hasn't bothered even trying the Gerrard Rooney combination in training. Stupid lazy Italian :angry:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rooney and Defoe has never really been tried for anything more than 1 game if that !

Rooney and Heskey has worked but never against top quality opposition.
Hence it gets us so far then fails.

Im fed up with failing at the same stage everytime.

Which top quality opposition has Heskey and Rooney failed against?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I DO agree actually that once we get past the group stages we should possibly look at a different formation/tactics/not playing Heskey.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Has to be Heskey unless Capello goes with Rooney up on his own with Gerrard behind (my preferred formation) he does so much more for the team than Crouch by bringing others into the game. Granted he may not get the goals but with Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard (60 + goals in the premiership this season I think) does it matter that much?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
oh come on, don't give in to the argument! You can't change formations/personnel half-way through a tournament just like that. heck, Capello is still playing the same formation that qualified us so well

I know but even I'm not convinced that Heskey is right when we are playing top, TOP quality opposition. When we are playing the likes of Brazil, Spain and Argentina we HAVE to have 5 midfielders otherwise our midfield just gets overrun, outclassed and outpassed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
oh come on, don't give in to the argument! You can't change formations/personnel half-way through a tournament just like that. heck, Capello is still playing the same formation that qualified us so well

7 games over a month. Every single team will HAVE to change personnel at points.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
OK, personnel. But the formation stays. When Capello was asked how he would pick his squad, he answered 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 + 3 keepers - i.e. he has a first choice in each position and a back-up for that position.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
OK, personnel. But the formation stays. When Capello was asked how he would pick his squad, he answered 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 + 3 keepers - i.e. he has a first choice in each position and a back-up for that position.

Do you not think you sometimes you have to be flexible with formations/tactics, as playing Germany or Italy in the World Cup final would require a totally different tactical plan to playing Brazil or Spain?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Do you think that Heskey actually practices his finishing. I mean I know that when you are young you get labelled as a striker - but do you think that during the week he works on what is clearly the weakest part of his game ?

One of the podcasts put the thought in my mind. I never hear anyone says that Heskey stays for an extra half-hour to work on finishing (like you hear about say Milner).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Do you not think you sometimes you have to be flexible with formations/tactics, as playing Germany or Italy in the World Cup final would require a totally different tactical plan to playing Brazil or Spain?

Weak teams change their formations to play against the strong teams. Strong teams stick to what made them strong. If we get to the world cup final, well let Italy or Spain change THEIR formation, we should stick to what got us there. He who blinks first...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I know but even I'm not convinced that Heskey is right when we are playing top, TOP quality opposition. When we are playing the likes of Brazil, Spain and Argentina we HAVE to have 5 midfielders otherwise our midfield just gets overrun, outclassed and outpassed.

Yay...see you know im right.
Heskey Rooney combo will get us out of the group and to the last 8, but no further.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Weak teams change their formations to play against the strong teams. Strong teams stick to what made them strong. If we get to the world cup final, well let Italy or Spain change THEIR formation, we should stick to what got us there. He who blinks first...

Because that has worked time and time again before....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We have got to one world cup final and we won it. whats your point?

In the modern game...and at our last half a dozen major tournament employing Heskey and another for example rooney, owen etc has failed at the qtr final stages

thats my point, we come up against a side like spain, brazil, germany, holland, portugal, argentina etc that keep and pass the ball better than us, and eventually we lose or cling on manfully and go out on pens.
Employing the big man up front fails against top sides.

Time for a change my friend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here