Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Tip for England's next game

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Top Tip for England's next game:

If you're watching on Sky+ press pause and wait a second before pressing play. Being a second or two behind the live play will give you that authentic Emile Heskey viewpoint. :jester:

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Top Tip for England's next game:

If you're watching on Sky+ press pause and wait a second before pressing play. Being a second or two behind the live play will give you that authentic Emile Heskey viewpoint.

The Emile Heskey who set up our goal? or maybe the same Emile Heskey who was far more effective than Wayne Rooney?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The Emile Heskey who set up our goal? or maybe the same Emile Heskey who was far more effective than Wayne Rooney?

I thought Heskey was supposed to make Rooney more effective. If so, he failed at that to. :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought Heskey was supposed to make Rooney more effective. If so, he failed at that to. :shrug:

Amazing. People slag him off FOR playing well. It's beyond a joke now.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Don't think I'm slagging him. Heskey is a luxury in the side as he doesn't score goals.
He's not a waste of space if he provides for other players to score, and as far as I understand the press, he is in the side because Rooney benefits from playing off him.
So there was something wrong with the balance the other night, as Rooney was invisible but Heskeys contribution was noticed. :dunce:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Aside from the fact that along with Johnson, Heskey was the best player the other night, the joke itself is pretty funny. I can think of a good few players, to whom it could be applied very nicely...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's because Rooney had an off day, not Heskey. Heskey is far from a luxury as his movement, passing and intelligence on the ball helps all the players around him.

3 of the best results/performances of last 10 years:

England 5 - 1 Germany - Heskey played
England 5 - 1 Croatia - Heskey played
England 4 - 1 Croatia - Heskey played

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Get off his back you CRETIN.

There were TEN other players who were miles worse than SUPER Emile, get off the bangwagon and try watching the game.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Get off his back you CRETIN.

There were TEN other players who were miles worse than SUPER Emile, get off the bangwagon and try watching the game.

I agree, and the word is bandwagon if it's me that's the cretin!

vuvu.gif

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Its not that he didnt play well. I thought he did. But.....we play hoof ball too much with him in the side, it gets even worse when Crouch plays.

So its not so much Heskey i dont like, although i dont rate him, its the style of our play, and when we come up against better sides its so easy to defend against, decent sides push further up the pitch against us and we come unstuck.

Id rather we went with Rooney and Defoe if we dont use Gerrard behind Rooney.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Its not that he didnt play well. I thought he did. But.....we play hoof ball too much with him in the side, it gets even worse when Crouch plays.

So its not so much Heskey i dont like, although i dont rate him, its the style of our play, and when we come up against better sides its so easy to defend against, decent sides push further up the pitch against us and we come unstuck.

Id rather we went with Rooney and Defoe if we dont use Gerrard behind Rooney.

Rooney and Defoe has NEVER clicked. Rooney and Heskey has.

Also, in both Croatia games, we played loads of lovely passing moves on the deck, with Heskey involved. We CAN play passing football with him in the team.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Rooney and Defoe has NEVER clicked. Rooney and Heskey has.

Also, in both Croatia games, we played loads of lovely passing moves on the deck, with Heskey involved. We CAN play passing football with him in the team.

Rooney and Defoe has never really been tried for anything more than 1 game if that !

Rooney and Heskey has worked but never against top quality opposition.
Hence it gets us so far then fails.

Im fed up with failing at the same stage everytime.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
His hold up play was brilliant.

However, I can't get the bodged one-on-one out of my head and that is the problem

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Unless you're going to change the formation completely, and have Rooney up-front on his own with Gerrard behind him (which I personally would like to see), then Emile is your man - he did well the other night, just because Rooney was marked out of it, wasn't his fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here