Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Ten all time away games..would Southampton be in the list?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
One of my all time favourite away games was the 2-0 Peter Ward inspired win at West Brom in the league cup when we were a 3rd division team with West Brom in the 1st..
A fabulous night! Not only did the team play West Brom off the park, we totally outsung their fans as well. Definitely in my top ten.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
As an aside I wonder what the 'oldest away game in living NSC memory' is? I'm pretty certain mine's Palace in about 1975 (1-0 win and we scored quite early from memory). Obviously people like BensGrandad can beat that, but I wonder how far back it goes?
First away game I saw was a 3-1 defeat at Gillingham on 2nd October 1965.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Happy memories! Two that I don't think have been mentioned were the 2-1 win at roker that kept us up, complete with a last min goal, and a tremedously entertaining 1-0 win at blackburn when Eric Potts scored to keep us in the promotion push.

Away wins are always so special especially those heroric 'backs to the wall' types.

My 1st away game was a 3-0 defeat at luton, have hated the dump ever since.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
One for the old boys was the 4th round 2nd replay against Rotherham at Highbury 1959/1960 season.
We were both in the old second divison then and Rotherham had beaten Arsenal in the previous round, so we had a lot of Arsenal fans cheering us on to great 6-0 victory. Still to this day, I dont think I have seen the Albion play such flowing football for the whole 90 minutes as they did that night.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One for the old boys was the 4th round 2nd replay against Rotherham at Highbury 1959/1960 season.
We were both in the old second divison then and Rotherham had beaten Arsenal in the previous round, so we had a lot of Arsenal fans cheering us on to great 6-0 victory. Still to this day, I dont think I have seen the Albion play such flowing football for the whole 90 minutes as they did that night.

Just looked it up (I was 3 at the time so have no recollection of this). Bill Curry scored a hat-trick and Adrian Thorne got a couple. The staggering thing is the crowd, 32,864, about ten times as many as we got last night.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Just looked it up (I was 3 at the time so have no recollection of this). Bill Curry scored a hat-trick and Adrian Thorne got a couple. The staggering thing is the crowd, 32,864, about ten times as many as we got last night.

Where did you get those facts from Gwylan, was it a site on the net?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Liverpool (when they were good) FA cup, 1991 2-2.
Hereford has to be in the list

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
18 yard diving header? McShane's deflected header from 12 yards is growing in stature as with any great legend.

Anyone remember Charlton away sometime around 1980? We won 3-0 I think. But there was a massive away following as loads of free train tickets were given out as compensation to loads of people who got stuck on the train to a cup match at Forest a couple of weeks earlier.

I think it was 4-0. It was the only time I got thumped in a ground by an opposing fan - no segregation then. I was only cheering our 4th goal!

I agree with posts for the 3-1 at Newcastle and 2-0 at West Brom as the best two.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
From Tim Carder and Roger Harris's The Story of Brighton and Hove Albion - invaluable for solving NSC disputes.

The other staggering fact was that Rotherham played six games in those two rounds, as the Arsenal round went to three matches aswell. I wonder how much money they made out of those two rounds of the cup.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other staggering fact was that Rotherham played six games in those two rounds, as the Arsenal round went to three matches aswell. I wonder how much money they made out of those two rounds of the cup.

The two earlier games had crowds of just over and just under 24,000; so that's 81,000 from the Albion matches alone. The three Arsenal games must have been considerably higher so that was a nice little earner for them (all at a time when footballers were being paid a low wage too).

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The two earlier games had crowds of just over and just under 24,000; so that's 81,000 from the Albion matches alone. The three Arsenal games must have been considerably higher so that was a nice little earner for them (all at a time when footballers were being paid a low wage too).

Yep the maximum wage was £20 per week.
Without the so called boot money as it was known then.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Two that haven't been mentioned yet that i have also enjoyed was when Baz scored that last minute winner at Hartlepool and also Leicester away over the Bank Holiday weekend in the Championship.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
1-0 at Spurs, Robbo winner; I think 81/82.

Interesting journey up the Seven Sisters Road after.

Palace away many times in the late 70's & the 80's.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The away win at Millwall to get to Wembley has to be in my top 3, along with Liverpool 2-2, and Hereford 1-1

(there are others, but these are ones I attended)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My top ten (that I was at)

1977 - Sunderland (to go top of the then Div 2)
1979 - Newcastle
1979 - Notts Forest
1983 - Liverpool (cup of course)
1983 - Wembley (both games)
1991 - Liverpool (cup again but only a draw)
199? - Leicester (Stuart Munday goal)
2005 - Tottenham (cup)
2005 - Crystal Palace
2005 - West Ham (I took two hammers fans from work with me and we were just behind our goal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think it was 4-0. It was the only time I got thumped in a ground by an opposing fan - no segregation then. I was only cheering our 4th goal!

I agree with posts for the 3-1 at Newcastle and 2-0 at West Brom as the best two.

Think you will find it was 3-0 Poskett hatrick. Large following because free tickets giving following the breakdown of two charter trains to the Forest cup tie (which they showed in full later at Hove Town Hall).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was a great game in recent times, but probably not as good as the 3-4 defeat at Charlton in the late seventies.

3-1 win away at Newcastle !!!!!!!!
2-1 win away at Liverpool
+
League Cup win at Leicester

Also a draw at Reading at Elm Park in the late seventies.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I've only been going to away games for four and a half years - ones that stand out that I haven't seen mentioned are Bristol Rovers last season and drawing 3-3 at Elland Road despite only having two shots and being pummelled for 90 minutes! Oh, and Bas Savage in the last minute at Hartlepool too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here