Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Ten all time away games..would Southampton be in the list?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
True, but the thread title says All Time Top 10, rather than "my".
PG
Indeed, but then we'd struggle to include games from prior to say 1950 in an 'All Time' top ten as we didn't experience them.

As an aside I wonder what the 'oldest away game in living NSC memory' is? I'm pretty certain mine's Palace in about 1975 (1-0 win and we scored quite early from memory). Obviously people like BensGrandad can beat that, but I wonder how far back it goes?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed, but then we'd struggle to include games from prior to say 1950 in an 'All Time' top ten as we didn't experience them.

As an aside I wonder what the 'oldest away game in living NSC memory' is? I'm pretty certain mine's Palace in about 1975 (1-0 win and we scored quite early from memory). Obviously people like BensGrandad can beat that, but I wonder how far back it goes?

I remember my first away game vividly; it was Hereford in March 1976 (Wardy's debut), so you beat me.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
SHEFF UTD AWAY WON 2-1

That was one fantastic game. If I remember correctly we scored the first goal in first half injury time and the winner in second half injury time. Am I right in thinking that it was a Kerry Mayo own goal for Sheffield United too? Was a really good day - Mark McCammon and Leon Knight falling over the advertising hoardings in front of the Brighton fans is on Dick Knight's 100 greatest Albion goals.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
how did i forget!!

the 18 yard diving header!

18 yard diving header? McShane's deflected header from 12 yards is growing in stature as with any great legend.

Anyone remember Charlton away sometime around 1980? We won 3-0 I think. But there was a massive away following as loads of free train tickets were given out as compensation to loads of people who got stuck on the train to a cup match at Forest a couple of weeks earlier.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
it would probably be in my top 10 but i've been going since 2001(away) and have been to around 50-60 away games!
ones that stick out are plymouth(2-0) huddesfield(2-1) sheff utd(2-1)tottenham (1-2) PALACE (1-0) swindon (1-0)

it makes me upset that i missed the 80's:(

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Random, but League Cup 2nd leg 1-3 at Wycombe in 1994 under Brady was AWESOMENESS personified

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Definitely in my WORST Top 10...

1979/1980 Sat 09 Feb Southampton 5 - 1 Brighton & HA First Division

Caged in and soaked by persistent rain.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Random, but League Cup 2nd leg 1-3 at Wycombe in 1994 under Brady was AWESOMENESS personified

I remember that one. We were wearing our third choice red kit and Junior McDougald absolutely tore them apart. The next round we played Leicester who were in the premier league at the time. The 2-0 victory in the away leg must be up there aswell

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
2-2 away at Anfield in the Cup
2-1 win away at Sheffield United (when Knight scored the winner)
0-1 defeat at Old Trafford in the Cup
1-0 at Palace
1-0 at West Ham (Butters)
3-3 at Leeds
3-3 at Birmingham
2-0 (?) at Notts County (the day we won the rugger in the morning, was HAMMERED)
1-2 at Palace (included because of 5 pennos)
Swinners in the play offs

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Definitely the 2-1 win at Bramall Lane with Knight scoring the winner, I couldn't talk for several days after that game from screaming so loudly during the match.

Can I offer a 1-0 win at the same venue in about 1986, with Saunders scoring, we hadn't won away in over a year...boy did that feel sweet!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
2-2 Liverpoo FA Cup - my first away game
1-0 West Ham, Butter scored, they should have scored loads
1-0 Chesterfield - after coming back from India, we hadnt won for 8 games, the Wilkins came up to the fans at the end and screamed wonders
1-1 at Hereford, obviously
1-0 at Palace, obviously
Plymouth away when about 27 results went our way and we got promoted
2-1 at Sheffield United, OAF falling off the chair
2-1 at Reading, Kitson scored
1-0 at Bristol City, Zamora
2-1 Peterborough away, Richie The Bear with a MONSTER header
2-1 Bristol Rovers away last season

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Liverpool 2-2 match with Mike Small and Johnny Byrne, a classic

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Im amazed nobody has mentioned our 1-0 victory away to the European Champions, Nottingham Forest in 79 or 80. We were bottom of the league at the time too

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
A lot of the obvious ones stand out like the 2 all at Anfield (in my first season), Hereford in 97, the play off win at Swindon, the win at Palace and that Sheffield United game.

Two that I haven't seen mentioned (although may have missed) but I remember are the 1-0 win at West Ham in the Championship when Butters scored in front of us and Virgs was sent off with Mullins and the 1-0 win at Peterborough which almost confirmed our promotion in 2001/02. Bobby scored up our end in the second half after missing an early penalty.

A random one that sticks out from recent years (and there haven't been many) is Bradford away a couple of seasons ago when we were 2 up, they came back to 2-2 and we won it up our end in the 90th minute. Was an average league game but very exciting and stands out in my mind over recent seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here