Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 5 places to see in Barcelona?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Guadi's Casa Mila is also worth a visit, the roof terrace is amazing!

I would certainly echo that; a mate and I visited in 2007 and I found myself seriously fancying an apartment in there (some are still occupied by normal residents - you just get to see the one on the top floor). For food, we found a market cafe (probably near the one mentioned on here). I had paella, the best I've ever tasted, mate had pasta, then I had salt cod (delicious and well worth trying if you can), while he had chicken. We had a bottle of house white and the whole meal came to 23 Euros. With a couple for a tip on top, 25 Euros for a superb meal was cracking value. Mind you, don't go ordering a mixed grill unless you know what it is. We did: you get a plate of several kinds of meat, and nothing else. Safety wise, the only place I felt threatened was in El Raval; I had read in the guide books it had quite a lot of good restaurants, but it seemed rather deserted and we got out rather quickly. The rest of the city seemed fine - you have to watch for pickpockets in any big city.

Must say I felt 100 times safer in Madrid than Barcelona. Still love Barcelona though.

I felt safe in Madrid also but had one incident, which is one more than i've had in several visits to Barcelona, funny old story in a way,sitting outside in the 'Sol' area, i came back from the bog and Mrs Doc had her head in a book, I spotted some pikey with his hand in her bag and chased him off (not in any serious way, he legged it and that was that) ten minutes later a couple of really looking dodgy Spanish lads were looking over and pointing at me, one came over and asked to have his photo taken with me, quite suspiciously I almost told him to piss off thinking I was about to be ripped off, he pointed to the Albion Badge on my polo shirt and in broken English made the claim " I sipoort dat teeem" I replied "yeah right" he then explained how he lived in Portland Rd for a year and went on to name several players and match related anicdotes, before nicking my camera

This story is true except for the last 4 words (I couldn't resist)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I really would recommend you visit the Olympic Museum at Mount Junc and take the Metro to the far end of the beach and walk back along the seafront as some of the artwork is fabulous and the greatest Beach Hut in the world is on that walk.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A lot of the obvious stuff has already been covered but if you want something a little different then you could go on a walking tour of the Modernista bars and harbour taverns in El Raval (Bar Zamora which [MENTION=6]Lord Bracknell[/MENTION] mentioned is also in El Raval). It's good fun, you'll see some great architecture and design/decor and see an interesting neighbourhood. I know a little bit about the area and the town planning project which is regenerating the area. Some good local restaurants as well. This walk is in the Lonely Planet guide but drop me a PM and I'll scan it and email it to you if you want.

You will start at the lovely Casa Almirall which is a mid-19th century Modernista decorated bar with many original pieces including the marble bar itself and end at The London Bar. There is also a wonderful and dusty absinthe bar called Bar Marsella which has been operating since 1820 and looks like it has not been decorated since.

It's a truly lovely city, the first foreign city I ever went to and my wife used to reside there, it will always have a place in my heart.

A lot of the obvious stuff has already been covered but if you want something a little different then you could go on a walking tour of the Modernista bars and harbour taverns in El Raval. It's good fun, you'll see some great architecture and design/decor and see an interesting neighbourhood. I know a little bit about the area and the town planning project which is regenerating the area. Some good local restaurants in the area as well. This walk is in the Lonely Planet guide but drop me a PM and I'll scan it and email it to you if you want.

You will start at the lovely Casa Almirall which is a mid-19th century Modernista decorated bar with many original pieces including the marble bar itself and end at The London Bar. There is also a wonderful and dusty absinthe bar called Bar Marsella which has been operating since 1820 and looks like it has not been decorated since.

It's a truly lovely city, the first foreign city I ever went to and my wife used to reside there, it will always have a place in my heart.

Cheers for your input and all the others,i feel we should have booked more than two nights:facepalm: Just need to come up with an itinerary from all the info so far and fit it in with the footie,its a family trip as eldest has turned 18 last week and the youngest coming up to 16. Just thought a trip to Barcelona would involve less carnage than a party.
cheers for all the advice gang:thumbsup:

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Dont bother with the aquarium. Its shit.

Take the cable car up to Montserrat, amazing views of the city.

The Pipa Club on Placa Riel was my favorite bar. Very sherlock holmesy.

Be careful of the 'gypsy' looking people getting off the tube (when you are getting on) they like to barge into you and steal everything in your pockets. Two of my friends where duped like that on the same trip.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Dont bother with the aquarium. Its shit.

Take the cable car up to Montserrat, amazing views of the city.

The Pipa Club on Placa Riel was my favorite bar. Very sherlock holmesy.

Be careful of the 'gypsy' looking people getting off the tube (when you are getting on) they like to barge into you and steal everything in your pockets. Two of my friends where duped like that on the same trip.

Montserrat? Surely you mean Tibidabo?

It happened to me - but all he got was a copy of the Rough Guide to Barcelona, that was in my outside pocket. Just before the door closed (and after he had hopped back on to the platform), I calmly held my hand out and he returned the book. I thanked him and the train sped off. The most civilised theft I've ever been a victim of.

As long as valuables are kept in a more secure place, being the victim of pickpockets is fairly easy to avoid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here