Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 5 favourite all time footballers

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The thread's called "Favourite" footballers, not "The Best" footballers. Mark Lawrenson was a better player than Danny Cullip, but Cullip is still one of my favourite footballers, whilst Lawro can do one.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Albion:

Gary Hart - any words needed really...
Danny Cullip - What a captain! Had everything.
Simon Morgan - For that season he was here he was class in my opinion, shame he got injured when he did.
Lee Steele - always a fighter, played his socks off every week for the albion, not bad for a fat scouser.
Bobby Zamora - Legend, best player (bar Milner with Swindon) by far I saw play at Withdean

Non-Albion Players

Alan Smith - Just my kind of bastard
Tomas Rosicky - When fit, a world beater
Rafael Van Der Vaart - Dunno, just like him
Luca Toni - The Italian Stalion... 1st Player to score 30 goals in Serie A since the 1950s
Franchesco Totti - Roma Legend, always overlooked for Europe's top lists and a one club man

Peter Ward. For years, every week, brilliant.
Geoff Hurst. For 3 v Germany, our 1 cup.
Fred Binney. For the feeling of football, reason to look forward to every match. The best penalty I've ever seen.
David Beckham. For many goals and amazing passes, guts, and getting through it for The England
Georgie Best. Inspiring natural talent, the mud, socks down and shirt out thrills.

Last edited:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Albion
Terry Connor
Michel Kuipers
Rod Thomas
Emeka Ifejiagwa
Robert Codner

Non-Albion
Peter Beardsley (England)
Jacques Songo'o (Cameroon)
Josimar Higino Pereira (Brazil)
Thierry Henry (France)
Tony Yeboah (Ghana)

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
For me....
Best ever is a toss up between Maradona and George Best, no one else can touch either of these two and unless hacking not many did...
For a goalscorer I'd have top go for Jimmy Greaves, hat trick on debut at each London club he played for - class.
At this point I'm moving away from alcoholics and drug addicts.
Best player I ever saw play for the Albion - Sergei Gotsmanov, no question, god he was good and we never had him long enough, what a little master he was.
Finally, and most controversial of all perhaps, Patrick Viera (whilst at Arsenal)> I have never seen someone so cool and in control (of the game, not his temper perhaps) and the way he made space for himself without touching the ball by moving around it when he received it, a thing of beauty - class act leading masterful team at the time.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
This is extremely difficult!

Albion: Zamora, Cullip, Danny Wilson, Garry Nelson, Clive Walker.

The Rest: Le Tissier, Hoddle, Dalglish, Gazza, Grobellar.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Seeing some of the names mentioned who I would hardly class in the top 50 I have seen makes me wonder what football some have seen.

It is fairly obvious that someone who is for arguments sake in their 50's may have seen far more football and footballers than a poster who is maybe 17 and who has had relatively little opportunity to see games. I consider myself privelaged to have seen the likes of Romario and Nelson play...but that was over 20 years ago, before many on here were even born, let alone interested in football.

What this thread relys on is personal opinion, without regard to age and experience, the younger posters will only know about the Albion since we moved to Withdean...any reference to players like Ward, Templeman and Bertolini...who you may well have seen at their pomp...would be just as relevant as a lesson on the Bronze age, the impact of the Roman invasion and the dinosaurs.

Chill man!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here