Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 3 managers of last 15 years...

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
To be fair to Mook he probably means the fact that it was the players Adams signed got us the title.

However Taylor found a system that worked with the players Adams signed. Junior Lewis that Taylor signed was the final cog for that promotion push...

How many 1-0 Zamora in that season? LOADS.

As stated before, I did over exaggerate in my previous post. The principle still I applies though. IN MY OPINION (note I'm not trying to pass it off as fact, US) we would have won the title at a canter with Adams in charge, and Mr Meola has summed up perfectly what I meant.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
NMH said:
I'm with you mate.

These people can't take into account the kind of club that managers inherited and what they did from there.

magoon only just managed to scrape us up into the Championship by the skin of LEON's boots, a player he contrived to then get the worst out of. We were lucky that Virgo came good when he did, and watching our tactics should have made anyone with any sense realise that, with Leon Knight, we only had to support the fellow with a player who could link with him and get accustomed to his intelliegent lay-offs and perceptive runs.

Currie was playing immaculate pinpoint crosses into the box but no-one ever got in front of the keeper! The lad could hit a melon from 100 yards forcrissakes, why didn't we have one 'melon' who could get on the end of a cross?

Magoon also dismantled our squad by shedding anyone who objected to his endlessly unimaginative tactics - leaving us with what really-was a lower-dovision squad.
I wondered for a long time, how that bloke could ever be called a manager - and his attitude about games that ''don't matter'' was icing on a very tasteless cake - he was suet, Dean Wilkins is already marzipan!

:clap:

Nicely summed up.

In terms of the best managers, not simply the amount they achieved here;

1. Coppell ... built an excellent side, would have achieved a good position in the Championship without the ten-point deficit he started the job with, left us in excellent shape to come back up with key signings (Knight/Roberts). Recruited (relatively) big-name players in Ingimarsson, Rodger & Blackwell.

2. Adams. Well-backed for the level, but created a strong side that, crucially, provided the backbone for years to come.

3. Gritt. Achieved a near-miracle.

Honorable mention to Taylor, deserves more credit than he gets.

Dougal said:
Surely a wind up on no 3 ?

yes had that 1 season , also followed it with letting byrne go (he then took sunderland to cup final) , signing shit and getting relagated.
Not to mention running a decent team he inherited from catlin down with a a load of non league local rubbish , Tiltman , Cooper instantly spring to mind with the depating saunders for 60k ,

Not to mention in bed with the dodgy directors

Lloyd's first season in cahrge got us into the old 2nd division form the old 3rd. He didn't inherit the team from Cattlin it was from Mullery I believe. I don't think Lloyd wanted to release players like Byrne and Small do you? We were in financial shit then weren't we?
You talk about signing shit, all managers sign shit players. But what about Byrne, Small, Gotsmanov, Gall, Codner, Bissett, Curbishley etc etc? Players that would now walk into our current side.
Lloyd in bed with dodgy directors please explain? I admit he got too involved in new stadium plans but how is that getting into bed with dodgy directors?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Common as Mook said:
Anyone who has McGhee and Taylor in their list must either be on a wind-up or completely f***ing retarded,

Whether you have Taylor or McGhee in your list is a matter of opinion. On the otherhand, suggesting that including 2 managers who delivered us promotion makes you "completely f***ing retarded" is, well, "completely f***ing retarded".

Schrödinger's Toad said:
:clap:

Nicely summed up.

In terms of the best managers, not simply the amount they achieved here;

1. Coppell ... built an excellent side, would have achieved a good position in the Championship without the ten-point deficit he started the job with, left us in excellent shape to come back up with key signings (Knight/Roberts). Recruited (relatively) big-name players in Ingimarsson, Rodger & Blackwell.

2. Adams. Well-backed for the level, but created a strong side that, crucially, provided the backbone for years to come.

3. Gritt. Achieved a near-miracle.

Honorable mention to Taylor, deserves more credit than he gets.

Thanks ST.
I didn't get to watch The Albion under Gritt, so couldn't take him into account.
Right about Taylor really - if he kept an inherited Adams team on the same course right to the end of season and promotion, then he canNOT be disregarded as a manager.
That he didn't stay?- well, he did what he said he would do, and delivered the goods - and since it was known from the beginning that he was a 'temp' - he and Dick Knight both deserve credit for that arrangement.

I'm just very happy that we have Dick Knight at the helm. He has integrity between men, didn't create any rhetoric or embitterment about Coppell and understood his ambition in moving on - even if we didn't find it as easy to swallow.
We are lucky to have a fellow like that running the club - and all power to his elbow, imho.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
1 McGhee - A promotion and then took us to our highest league position for about 12 years -and this at a time when the club was financially crippled by the cost of Falmer.

2 Coppell - Nearly kept us up and would have won the league next season with ease if he'd stayed.

3 Horton - Almost forgotten now but he started the climb-back after two years as second-bottom; for a few weeks, we even dreamed about a play-off place

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
bhafc4eva said:
Can someone please explain what steve coppell achieved at this club? Im trying hard to find anything barring relegating us. Did he win us the league? Play-off final experience at cardiff? Save us from going out the football league?

What did this bloke really do, except help us end up bottom of the league and then run away?

I'll have a go...

Steve Coppell took over a team devoid of confidence, rooted to the bottom of the table after TEN succesive defeats. The team was, to put it bluntly, f***ed. He rebuilt the team by bringing in several quality players-Sidwell, Ingirmarson, Rodger, Blackwell. He found a formation that suited the whole team, one that got the best out of all of them. Is it coincidence that the one season that Kerry MAyo excelled and had virtually no criticism is the one where Coppell was in charge? His record over the 34 games of the 2002/03 season was 41 points. If he'd been appointed at the start of the season then we can assume(and it is, admittedly only an assumption) that we would have finished with about 55 points, which would have left us in 16th position. If he had been given the job before the season started and had been allowed to build his side during pre-season as opposed to during it, then it is arguable that he could have squeezed some more points out of the season and seen us finish in the top half.

The following season he left us clear at the top of the table after 13 games(8 wins, 3 draws and two defeats- a points per game ratio that if continued over the course of the season would have seen us finish top of the league by 5 or 6 points).

Of course he never got to manage us for a full season so it's all if's and but's with his tenure. However, IMO, he did enough in his 12 months with us to merit serious inclusion in any debate on the best managers of recent years.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Southover Street Seagull said:
Lloyd's first season in cahrge got us into the old 2nd division form the old 3rd. He didn't inherit the team from Cattlin it was from Mullery I believe. I don't think Lloyd wanted to release players like Byrne and Small do you? We were in financial shit then weren't we?
You talk about signing shit, all managers sign shit players. But what about Byrne, Small, Gotsmanov, Gall, Codner, Bissett, Curbishley etc etc? Players that would now walk into our current side.
Lloyd in bed with dodgy directors please explain? I admit he got too involved in new stadium plans but how is that getting into bed with dodgy directors?

we are never going to agree on this and its been done to death.
Granted some of those players were good signings but remember he was here 10 years and overall i think he was awful.
Regarding those players anyway
Byrne and small granted although he f***ed up with the selling of byrne imo.
Gotsmanov was good but he only played about 10 game didnt he ??
Codner and Bissett , hhmmm codner 1 good season and bissett had dodgy knees. Not forgetting that these cost a lot of money , a then conference record i believe.
I just never liked the bloke either , treated the fans with contempt .

Dougal said:
we are never going to agree on this and its been done to death.
Granted some of those players were good signings but remember he was here 10 years and overall i think he was awful.
Regarding those players anyway
Byrne and small granted although he f***ed up with the selling of byrne imo.
Gotsmanov was good but he only played about 10 game didnt he ??
Codner and Bissett , hhmmm codner 1 good season and bissett had dodgy knees. Not forgetting that these cost a lot of money , a then conference record i believe.
I just never liked the bloke either , treated the fans with contempt .

Fair enough we will agree to disagree. When Llloyd got the sack I will admit I was happy because I think his time was up. But to think what happened a few years later and what the person who sacked him did. This has made me think that Lloyd was a mere pussycat by Bellotti, Stanley and Archer's standards.

1. Micky Adams - started the revolution

2. Liam Brady - thought about the revolution and laid the foundations for fan power (remember paul Dickov?)

3. Steve Coppell - almost continued the revolution but started one again on his own.

Taylor - did ok but inherited adams' team
MM - play offs brilliant but inherited coppells' team

GOD - STEVE GRITT - Walks on water, got no hair but we don't care, created miracles.

Nobby - never fulfilled his potential but he did buy Gray hart and has the record for most away wins on the bounce.

Barry LLoyd?
: :clap2:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
jonny.rainbow said:

Peter Taylor - again revitalised a fading team. Least defeats for an Albion boss in history speaks for itself.

Funnily enough, just looking at that statistic the best manager is Hinshelwood the first time round. He had a 100% record and I'm not talking about 2002. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

In 2002 Hinshelwood was offered Sidwell in August and turned Brady down because he said he wasn't anything better than we already had.

My top 3

Adams
Coppell
McGhee

1. Adams
2. Gritt
3. Coppell

And sitting just outside, due to pissing off when he could have stayed and really cemented his status at the club as it began the climb back is Horton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here