Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 3 managers of last 15 years...

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Common as Mook said:
Maybe i exaggerated a little. I do however, truly believe that had Adams been in charge, we would have won that title at a canter.

Maybe he would've, maybe he wouldn't have. Point is will never know because Micky jumped ship at a time when our results and performances were waining.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
jonny.rainbow said:
So it was just luck that McGhee brought back a player, who was about to be given a free transfer, saw the potential in him and coached him to the point where he was one of the most important players in our team?

Here's hoping wilkins can get some similar 'luck'.

Give it up Jonny , some people on here would still have slagged McGhee off if he had won the premiership, league cup, fa cup and champions league all in one season with Brighton.

What annoys me most is the re writing of history which appears to be a disease particularly rife on NSC and NMH has got a nasty dose of it.

Our best managers have been

1. Mickey Adams, who should've stayed with a small club.

2. Steve Coppell, who really was up against it after being brought in too late to save us (almost made a miracle though)

3. I'm tempted to say Liam Brady, who really was in a no-win situation - if he was treated fairly at the time I think he would have been an Albion legend. However, Dean Wilkins - though still having to pick up from a poor situation and learn while doing it - has revived a team, and slowly the flagging interest of the fans.
It's a vital time, but I hope he's enjoying it because he really is getting somewhere, and you could sense the new era of hope as soon as he took over.
He might even become the best manager to stay at Brighton for the duration.... and into our new Stadium.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
one decent long overdue win and Wilkins is now Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson combined :rolleyes:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Give it up Jonny , some people on here would still have slagged McGhee off if he had won the premiership, league cup, fa cup and champions league all in one season with Brighton.

What annoys me most is the re writing of history which appears to be a disease particularly rife on NSC and NMH has got a nasty dose of it.

Yeh, I know. It just saddens me that no-one will give McGhee an ounce of credit for anything he achieved over his tenure, whereas Coppell and Adams get praise for achievements others masterminded after they'd both jumped ship.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
jonny.rainbow said:
Yeh, I know. It just saddens me that no-one will give McGhee an ounce of credit for anything he achieved over his tenure, whereas Coppell and Adams get praise for achievements others masterminded after they'd both jumped ship.

How does that work? Adams gets praised for revolutionizing the worst squad in the country. Who else has done that?

bhafc4eva said:
Can someone please explain what steve coppell achieved at this club? Im trying hard to find anything barring relegating us. Did he win us the league? Play-off final experience at cardiff? Save us from going out the football league?

What did this bloke really do, except help us end up bottom of the league and then run away?

I think a lot of hindsight is appropriate. Coppell is clearly a dedicated professional and an excellent manager. He was when he came to Withdean - but Dick Knight already had honour invested in Martin Hinshelwood, and so when he stepped down (the right thing to do, and no disgrace just because he tried something he couldn't pull off) there was no way SC could quite save the situation. On point average, with that squad, Coppell would have had us above mid-table if he'd had the whole season.

Time might tell that SC is the greatest manager ever at Brighton, if he keeps doing what he's doing. Certainly a possibility for (what must be his own personal ambition) the Man Utd job after Ferguson - and quite possibly the England job.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Common as Mook said:
How does that work? Adams gets praised for revolutionizing the worst squad in the country. Who else has done that?

Adams gets given credit, on here, for winning us the div 2 championship in 01-02, regardless of the fact that he was only in charge for 2 months of that season.

Taylor gets next to no credit for winning that championship.

The same with Coppell getting credit and McGhee being given none for us winning the play-offs in 03-04.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
For me personally

1) Adams, although tainted by the fact that he was always looking to go to a bigger club he assembled a team mainly made up of players other clubs didn't want, I don't think anyone else was even after Zamora, who made up the majority of our teams for the following three or four years. I don't believe the spin that McGhee had less of a budget than MA, it doesn't stack up to me at all.

2) Coppell, almost kept us up after a horrendous start and let down by the fact the club didn't act quick enough to sign Sidwell. I believe that one missed signing led to the decline in form for the latter half of the season and I also believe our current league position and worsening financial position stems from this season.

3) McGhee, Scraped us back up again and kept us there but didn't seem to be able to attract the quality of player required to move us forward. Whether that's his or the boards fault if open to debate. I have him above Taylor because the trip to the Millennium was more enjoyable for me than I seem to remember the games under Taylor were.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Common as Mook said:
I'm not going to get into a Mcghee debate, AGAIN.

Taylor won a Championship that Adams had already won. Taylor almost LOST us that title then deceided to f*** off.

Position when Mickey Adams left 4th

Position when Peter Taylor left 1st (30+ games later)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
NMH said:
I think a lot of hindsight is appropriate. Coppell is clearly a dedicated professional and an excellent manager. He was when he came to Withdean - but Dick Knight already had honour invested in Martin Hinshelwood, and so when he stepped down (the right thing to do, and no disgrace just because he tried something he couldn't pull off) there was no way SC could quite save the situation. On point average, with that squad, Coppell would have had us above mid-table if he'd had the whole season.

Time might tell that SC is the greatest manager ever at Brighton, if he keeps doing what he's doing. Certainly a possibility for (what must be his own personal ambition) the Man Utd job after Ferguson - and quite possibly the England job.

thats a rewriting of history as Coppell did actually have us out of the bottom 3 with a few games to go and then blew it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
NMH said:

Don't think he will be too welcome back in Manchester after his 42 days in charge at Maine Road.

As much as I like Sir Steve, there are a number of lifestyle issues which would make it very difficult to carry out such a high profile job as managing the Rags.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I think a lot of people are putting coppell in there for what He nearly did..ie keepig us up...But he didnt. We all know he nearly pulled off something fantastic..BUT HE DIDNT!

As for mcghee..Under his reign..I saw us win at palace for the 1st time in my life..not lose 5-0.

I saw us get promoted in the most breath-taking and wonderful fasion that included a boiling hot day in the south west watching csir chippy drill ina deflected 25 yarder and then the dramatics of adam virgo..Not to forget the best day folowing the club at cardiff.

Then keeping us up with his back against the wall in again dramatic circumstances....I personally think what he did over those two years was fantastic and people are too quick to jump on his faults...ie players going and relegation.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
6 week holidays in Thailand ???

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Under Coppell we had the best player I've seen play in the stripes. Steve Sidwell. (bear in mind i'm only 25)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Common as Mook said:

Taylor won a Championship that Adams had already won. Taylor almost LOST us that title then deceided to f*** off.

4th or 5th when Adams walked and we ended up top. How the f*** that that be construed as almost losing it :annoyed:

Uncle Spielberg said:
thats a rewriting of history as Coppell did actually have us out of the bottom 3 with a few games to go and then blew it.

Astounding that he DID almost keep us up despite everything that was against him. That we lost it in the last few doesn't mean I 'rewrote history' just as beating orient on Tuesday mean we are the best side in our division. We have much more to do, to beat Forest. I just hope new players like Bertin don't feel the awful chill of the poor atmosphere and fan-reactions at Withdean. He was enchanted by our away support - he might not be by the home one.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
1 Gritt. No Gritt, no club, for me. 10 wins and 2 draws in the last 12 Goldstone games. Gritt and the fans kept the club alive.

2 Adams. Changed the whole culture of the club at the time (with Knight's financial backing). I genuinely thought I'd go my whole life and never see Brighton lift a trophy, seeing consecutive titles, however poorly regarded those two divisions may be, after having been in the position we'd been in, was beyond my wildest expectations.

3 McGhee. Not enough credit for what he did right, too much opprobrium for what he did wrong. And what he did right gave us a tremendous day at Cardiff and a second season in a bastard difficult division.

I do not consider a balanced view of McGhee's time here demented, as somebody has suggested that including him would be, but given the absolute dichotomy of opinion he seems to create on here the truth has got to be somewhere in the middle?

Common as Mook said:
I'm not going to get into a Mcghee debate, AGAIN.

How had Adams already won us the Championship? I recall he left early in the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here