Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 10 passwords you should never use

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
The biggest problem is many people use the same password on all accounts so 99/100 may be secure sites, but one that is easily hackable exposes all their secure stuff. Use different passwords where possible.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But vBulletin includes a "vulnerable password checker" which allows the admin to send an automated email to all users who have a "vulnerable password" of which the current definition is that the username and password are identical. I don't know who those 37 users are.
Good, thanks for clarrifying.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The password, on here or anywhere else come to that is the responsibility of the user.

But under most european data privacy laws the protection of personal data on any hosted site is the responsibility of the hosting party, this is a legal minefield as I view my password as personal data.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
But under most european data privacy laws the protection of personal data on any hosted site is the responsibility of the hosting party, this is a legal minefield as I view my password as personal data.

You miss my point, the previous posts on this thread are relating, in the main, as to how secure the password's that some people have choosen are, the "make up" of the password is the responsibility of the user, no hosting party can be responsible for what the user chooses as his or her choice of password, as if they did they would know what the password is.

This certainly is the case with NSC, the user chooses his / her own personal password.

As for other sites, I don't care.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
You miss my point, the previous posts on this thread are relating, in the main, as to how secure the password's that some people have choosen are, the "make up" of the password is the responsibility of the user, no hosting party can be responsible for what the user chooses as his or her choice of password, as if they did they would know what the password is.

This certainly is the case with NSC, the user chooses his / her own personal password.

As for other sites, I don't care.

Fair point, my comment was also partially tongue in cheek the whole password situation is not adequate for the Internet anymore and something needs to change.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I once had to tell my wife my credit card pin number so that she could get some cash out in an emergency. I said "You'll realise how I remember it when I tell you," but when I told her she said it didn't mean anything to her. It was the day and month of her birthday. Doh!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair point, my comment was also partially tongue in cheek the whole password situation is not adequate for the Internet anymore and something needs to change.

2 Factor Authentication adds a level of security...

- Something you know (your password)
- Something you have (say, your mobile phone - text you a code)
- Something you are (say a finger print)

...in that if you combine any 2 of those, it's very difficult for someone else to impersonate you.

Google have implemented this which you can turn on if you like. In doing so, if you are a Gmail user for example, it should make it far more difficult for someone to hijack your account and use your account maliciously or delete all of your emails. Details here - Official Google Blog: Advanced sign-in security for your Google account

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here