Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 10 passwords you should never use

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just received this as an email newsletter thing...

According to a report, most users still haven't answered the call by security experts to implement more robust passwords. In fact, in a list of the most easy to hack passwords, simply typing '123456' took a truly forgettable top prize.

Security firm Imperva recently released its list of the passwords most likely to be hacked based on 32 million instances of successful hacking. Imperva named their report "Consumer Password Worst Practices," and some of the entries near the top are truly simple and could lead to theft or identity fraud.

Top 10 Worst Passwords:

1. 123456
  2. 12345
  3. 123456789
  4. Password
  5. iloveyou
  6. princess
  7. rockyou
  8. 1234567
  9. 12345678
  10. abc123

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would've never thought of 7. the others are pretty obvious mind.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just received this as an email newsletter thing...

According to a report, most users still haven't answered the call by security experts to implement more robust passwords. In fact, in a list of the most easy to hack passwords, simply typing '123456' took a truly forgettable top prize.

Security firm Imperva recently released its list of the passwords most likely to be hacked based on 32 million instances of successful hacking. Imperva named their report "Consumer Password Worst Practices," and some of the entries near the top are truly simple and could lead to theft or identity fraud.

Top 10 Worst Passwords:

1. 123456
  2. 12345
  3. 123456789
  4. Password
  5. iloveyou
  6. princess
  7. rockyou
  8. 1234567
  9. 12345678
  10. abc123

A company that installed a proper password policy wouldn't let you set any of these up as your password in the first place.

D

Deleted member 18477

iloveyou?
princess?
rockyou?

what a load of shit!
everyone knows you should have a mix of numbers and letters but obviously not abc123. Some people are r-tards!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
what a load of shit!
everyone knows you should have a mix of numbers and letters but obviously not abc123.

Usually minimum eight characters also. And a mix of lower and upper case.

Can I therefore recommend everybody changes their password to 'Seagull5' with immediate effect. :thumbsup:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I wonder how many will read this and go 'oooops shit' ... :lolol:

Usually minimum eight characters also. And a mix of lower and upper case.

My understanding (I wait to be corrected) was that the mixture of upper and lower case (and of numbers and letters and weird punctuation marks) was in the vast majority of cases completely irrelevant now. If it's not something really obvious (i.e. those listed above) then the only way it's likely to be hacked is by sheer brute force, in which case the only thing that really matters is the number of characters.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My understanding (I wait to be corrected) was that the mixture of upper and lower case (and of numbers and letters and weird punctuation marks) was in the vast majority of cases completely irrelevant now. If it's not something really obvious (i.e. those listed above) then the only way it's likely to be hacked is by sheer brute force, in which case the only thing that really matters is the number of characters.

You are correct to a point, the 'pro' hacker will use back office applications to break a password, but for the chancers these passwords are just asking for trouble.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I've had a password broken but still don't know how or why? And it was secure?

Someone will probably explain but I'm no expert so won't understand anyways lol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here