Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom ,Good Work Sir

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
As much as I understand your point, mate, I disagree. Contracts are worth as much as the chairman wants - by that I mean if Bloom has no wish/need to sell, there is no way Bennett can simply tear up his contract. In many cases in recent history player power has proved too much for many chairmen, but ultimately it is still their decision whether the player should be released from their contract/sold.

Due to Bennett's apparent attitude and our desire to keep him, I am confident he will be a Brighton player come the end of the tranfer window.

I appreciate that but name a club that keeps hold of an unhappy player who wants out? They don't last long especially when good offers come in for them. It's all about player power. I hate it but it's the way it is. As I've put in another thread we've built a reputation as a club that lets players move on should a bigger club come in for them. Thus making us a more attractive option for players we might not normally be able to tempt.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As I've put in another thread we've built a reputation as a club that lets players move on should a bigger club come in for them. Thus making us a more attractive option for players we might not normally be able to tempt.

I wouldn't like players to think we are only a stepping stone. That makes us like Wigan. I appreciate they are in the premiership - so maybe we should try to be more like them - but we are nearly at the stage where we are a club players should want to play for because we are a good club to play for. Not just a shop window.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I wouldn't like players to think we are only a stepping stone. That makes us like Wigan. I appreciate they are in the premiership - so maybe we should try to be more like them - but we are nearly at the stage where we are a club players should want to play for because we are a good club to play for. Not just a shop window.

I agree, I don't like to think of us as a stepping stone but we are. We have been one for years and years. We don't need to be anymore under Bloom but that isn't a change that'll happen overnight, it's a gradual process. At the end of the day if a player wants out and we're offered silly money for him we'll sell. Like 99.9% of clubs out there.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Strike a deal with him to stay until the end of the season and whether we go up or not, he can go then. If Norwich are desperate for a player like EB, I bet they won't be able to find another one before the window shuts and if they want him that badly, they can wait until the end of the season. If Norwich don't get promoted and we do, then that gives EB time for a re think as well. If he does go in the next few days, find out how much Newcastle want for Lua Lua first. Dig your heels in TB!!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I appreciate that but name a club that keeps hold of an unhappy player who wants out?

I know he has put in a request but is he really unhappy.....I mean he only signed a new contract a few months ago. This whole thing stinks of his agent being tapped up by Norwich (or elsewhere) and EB's agent has told him to put in the request. If he was truly unhappy he would have put in the request at the beginning of the window wouldn't he....on another point of whether he was happy or not, do you think he would have put in a request if Norwich hadn't shown interest?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The whole business stinks, particularly the timing of it and smacks of pure unadulterated greed. Fans know there is no loyalty in football and as such, should show none to Bennett. If a player isn't committed to wearing the mighty stripes then he should go immediately and we should get as much as we can for him.
The club and its fans will go on.....impressionable and immature young footballers will come and go.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
None of the players will resent EB for asking for the move. If the deal is anything like Crofts' (who we're told went fromn £2k/w to £8k/w) then they'd all do the same in the same position. However, seems like TB has said - sorry buddy. You signed the long deal and we're going to hold you to it. We need you. Let's speak again in June. Bennett will not play badly on purpose now - he's in the shop window and will do his best.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
No I don't. The whole thing stinks of agents. I'd like an investigation into exactly what contact Norwich and Bennet's agent had.

Yeah, so long as they don't look into our contact with Gordon Greer and Ryan Harley's agents! ;)

Agree on the whole though, of course we are selling club, even Norwich are if a Premiership club comes in and so are most Premiership clubs too!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
None of the players will resent EB for asking for the move. If the deal is anything like Crofts' (who we're told went fromn £2k/w to £8k/w) then they'd all do the same in the same position. However, seems like TB has said - sorry buddy. You signed the long deal and we're going to hold you to it. We need you. Let's speak again in June. Bennett will not play badly on purpose now - he's in the shop window and will do his best.

That's right, if we can just keep hold on to him for the next four days, everything may look very different for all parties come June. I for one believe us and Norwich will be in exactly the same position in the Championship....then it doesn't seem such an attractive move (in a footballing sense have no idea about the salaries involved) and even if EB still wants out it gives Gus plenty of time to find a replacement before mid August.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No doubt Bennetts agent got a nice lump of WODGE after negotiating that four and a half year deal for him a couple of months ago.

Time for another payday then, obviously.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Unfortunately, I can imagine an agent saying to Elliott 'Sign for Norwich, your wages will double, you'll be able to afford a lovely house in Norfolk (cheaper than Sussex), nearer to your family (?) for you and your girlfriend. Take care of your parents and your family, Doesn't it make sense?'

Footballers are not particularly bright, bless 'em.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Its certainly NOT a win for us if he went for £750k, which by your reckoning is the most we could realistically expect for him.

It's the most in terms of an upfront fee we'll get.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If they offer a price which we deem insufficient for his talents it doesn't matter what Bennett wants.

We have every right to reject any move from any club if the valuation and the offer arent close.

It's much easier for the club to go to Bennett and say we tried to get a deal done but they wanted to offer us a pittance for your signature. Which in that scenario the player won't hold it against his present club.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If they offer a price which we deem insufficient for his talents it doesn't matter what Bennett wants.

We have every right to reject any move from any club if the valuation and the offer arent close.

It's much easier for the club to go to Bennett and say we tried to get a deal done but they wanted to offer us a pittance for your signature. Which in that scenario the player won't hold it against his present club.

That would be the best outcome i agree. But you are leaving the door open for other clubs to make bigger offers which again we would have to reject. Bennett will then blame the club for over pricing him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd like to get hold of His agent and give him a piece of my mind. Agents are money motivated pieces of scum who have the potential to ruin young players careers.

In my opinion Bobbys move to Spurs was poorly judged, too big a leap, and cost him three years of his career.

I am just trying to get this all striaght in my head - and I can be a little dim at times. But the following is how I understand the current situation - Am I correct?

EB has put in a transfer request - As Norwich said they would like him to play for them and have no doubt made the prospect of playing there look very attractive, including a much increased Salary.

EB signed a 3 and half year contract with us only 2 months ago, so we have the final say if he can go or not? In other words its up to us if we turn down any offer that is made, or we could just make the price simply too high so noboddy buys him?

If we dont sell, EB would be wise to still play to the best of his ability for BHA, to ensure he stays on the radar of other clubs, should the time come when we agree to sell?

IF EB threw his toys out the pram and said ' you tossers, you have stopped my dream move to Norwich' and tried to score a hatrick of own goals if we played him, what could we do and how would such behaviour affect him?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I am just trying to get this all striaght in my head - and I can be a little dim at times. But the following is how I understand the current situation - Am I correct?

EB has put in a transfer request - As Norwich said they would like him to play for them and have no doubt made the prospect of playing there look very attractive, including a much increased Salary.

EB signed a 3 and half year contract with us only 2 months ago, so we have the final say if he can go or not? In other words its up to us if we turn down any offer that is made, or we could just make the price simply too high so noboddy buys him?

If we dont sell, EB would be wise to still play to the best of his ability for BHA, to ensure he stays on the radar of other clubs, should the time come when we agree to sell?

IF EB threw his toys out the pram and said ' you tossers, you have stopped my dream move to Norwich' and tried to score a hatrick of own goals if we played him, what could we do and how would such behaviour affect him?

We are his employers and we have the final say whilst he is in contract, clearly we wouldn't want to keep an unhappy player and therefore we may be flexible if our valuation is met by Norwich, although I think our valuation would be well beyond what Norwich want to pay. If Elliott throws his toys out of the pram (he doesn't seem that kind of player..yet!) then he will find himself joining the subs bench pretty sharpish!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Will he won't he play today?

Is Gus a wind-up merchant or has he been learning poker tricks from Tony?

I guess we will know by 2.30

Poyet on Bennett: It's business as usual From The Argus)

This is an interesting time for Gus as well, being the first time apart from Forster's toy throwing, that he has had to deal with transfer request from one of the top players. He must be so happy, as indicated, that he is working for a chairman who is 100% behind him and will not be bullied.

From the outside it appears the relationship between manager and chairman must be one of the best, if not the best in English football.

I do believe in that statement it indicates that the transfer request may be a try and see as opposed to a definite want away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here