Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tomorrows Half time guest - Garry Nelson

D

Deleted member 2719

I last saw him in a fish and chip shop queue outside Roots Hall. Always in my memory for that goal at Brentford. I was smoking a cigar at the time and it shot out of my mouth.
Did you have big glasses and a furry collar???

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
I remember his winning goal in the FAC v Brentford which was my favourite ever Albion goal - it was enhanced afterwards by snogging my best mate's gorgeous Indian wife who was illicitly with me on the afternoon.......

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I've mentioned this before...but SURELY someone MUST remember THAT goal he scored at Brentford in the cup?? He claims it was the best he ever scored, it's certainly one of the best i've seen, so i tend to believe him! I couldn't of been the only one there that posts on here can I??

Alas, it was never caught on camera in the days before all games were filmed...shame, as it truly was a wonder goal :bowdown:

That'll teach me for not reading all the previous posts....:shootself

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Great player and great goals - my first season of success following the Albion was the 85/86 (or was it 86/87). Never forget a brilliant goal scored by him in the South stand goal against one of the Bristol clubs at a muddy Goldstone, every time I remember it he is further out - currently he is just in Hove Park! Did it make it to video, we are spoiled these days with regards to this aspect of the game.

I think it was Bristol City 3-2? We went three up (including that Nelse screamer) and they pulled two back late on. Pissing with rain all day.

I remember it well because I was living in Bristol then and used to watch City fairly often.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Garry_Nelson.jpg

Having looked at this photo properly it is definately the West Stand just to the right of the tunnel, young the lads in the suits are in the caged off area where the youth team watched the game from and TV cameras sometimes went. I recognise a few faces but can't see myself. I'm pretty sure [MENTION=3501]Seagullsoverlewes[/mention] is there, think I'm just to his right just hidden.

Anybody recognise the way team

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
My fav Nelson memory. That absolute cracker at Brentford. Danced through about 8 of their team and smashed in the roof of the net in front of our masses!
I lost my voice i was shouting so much when this goal went in - my absolute fav Albion goal ever. Had the great fortune to meet up with Nelson a few times in the ealry 90's - over a couple of beers he talked me through that goal and a few others (including the Bristol thunder bolt - he was somewhere near the M25 when he hit it)!!!!! I was in my early 20's at the time but was instantly turned into a star struck kid! What a player and total legend.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I remember the Brentford goal - probably the best goal I have ever seen. However, my favourite memory of Garry was when he was playing for Torquay. It was New Year's Day and we were away in possibly the coldest conditions ever experienced - only four matches survived. Sadly Garry scored for Torquay at the end and we lost 2-1. He didn't celebrate ane when we went after the game to his book signing he apologised. I love that man!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I read the first page of his book and put it back on the shelf.

I think he said something like he was a journeyman footballer and that fans would sing his name one week and would forget about him the next. Sorry that's bollox cause he is an Albion Legend and I remember singing his name in the north stand years after he had left the club.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Remember the first game of THAT season home v York City. Had a new winger from Plymouth(?) Garry Nelson didn't know much about him - didn't cost too much (60,000?) was more interested in seeing how Bremner would settle in. He scored the winner (1-0) in the south stand end with a nice bit of trickery and an angled drive to kick start the season. The rest was history and the best Albion year of my life.

Legend.

Feb 14, 2010
The Goldstone Gaz... almost beat Wardy's record in div 3. Greast season. But who remembers the Gulls eye cartoon featuring Nelson and Bremner after that Bremner miss at Pompey?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Remember the first game of THAT season home v York City. Had a new winger from Plymouth(?) Garry Nelson didn't know much about him - didn't cost too much (60,000?) was more interested in seeing how Bremner would settle in. He scored the winner (1-0) in the south stand end with a nice bit of trickery and an angled drive to kick start the season. The rest was history and the best Albion year of my life.

Legend.
Pretty much this as well.......also remember the abuse he had off Plymouth for signing for us.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Brentford away. When he got the ball he was boxed in by the left touchline about half-way inside the opposition half facing the wrong way. The best you would hope for would be to win a throw in...but Garry did a Cruyff-style turn followed by a body swerve that took out 3-4 players. He was then heading in-field for goal, taking out more players along the way. The run itself was almost the stuff of legends.. but just before he reached the penalty area he unleashed a screaming shot into the angle between the crossbar and post to the keeper's right. He then turned and ran to the Albion fans on the side with a look of utter joy and disbelief on his face. 25 years ago..but that is how I remember it..and it's still the best Albion goal I have ever seen... and I'll never forget the look on his face.

Cue mini pitch invasion. f***ing great goal. The best I've ever seen live.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Do people remember all the transfer speculation after the Arsenal game? Lloyd quelled the rumours by saying the IF Nelson would be leaving Brighton he'd have to learn Italian.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I read the first page of his book and put it back on the shelf.

I think he said something like he was a journeyman footballer and that fans would sing his name one week and would forget about him the next. Sorry that's bollox cause he is an Albion Legend and I remember singing his name in the north stand years after he had left the club.

FFS, he didn't just play for the Albion, you know.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I saw the Brentford goal, but my favourite Goldstone Gaz moment came when he scored the 3rd goal in a 3-1 win against Palace in front of the North. They had just scored and were coming back into the match. The place went mental. Most of the games were covered in those days by local TV, there must be some footage somewhere???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here