Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tomorrows Half time guest - Garry Nelson

Great player and great goals - my first season of success following the Albion was the 85/86 (or was it 86/87). Never forget a brilliant goal scored by him in the South stand goal against one of the Bristol clubs at a muddy Goldstone, every time I remember it he is further out - currently he is just in Hove Park! Did it make it to video, we are spoiled these days with regards to this aspect of the game.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Bremner could never stay on his feet, always slipping over!

Had a bullet header though, made Alan Shearer's efforts look like powder puffs!!

My memory may be a bit hazy but I can remember a throw in on the west touchline Nelson (it might not of been him but I like to think it was) ran towards the corner flag and was thrown the ball, the defenders must have thought he was offside but of course you cannot be from a throw in. Nelson hit a first time cross right onto Bremners head and it hit the back of the north goal like a bullet.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
I bloody LOVE Garry Nelson

Garry_Nelson.jpg

Kevin_Bremner_and_Garry_Nelson.jpg

If you look closely there's a budgie in both of the pictures

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Can someone reassure me: that's not the Directors' Box in this photo is it? I can't remember how far up the West Stand it was.

Only, there's a bloke sitting in the box, next to the partition (in front of white fencing), wearing a light coloured suit. His hair and glasses are worryingly reminiscent of Bill Archer.

He wouldn't have been there, would he? :tosser:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can someone reassure me: that's not the Directors' Box in this photo is it? I can't remember how far up the West Stand it was.

Only, there's a bloke sitting in the box, next to the partition (in front of white fencing), wearing a light coloured suit. His hair and glasses are worryingly reminiscent of Bill Archer.

He wouldn't have been there, would he? :tosser:

There are telephones at the front of that section. I'd guess that's the Press Box.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
My fav Nelson memory. That absolute cracker at Brentford. Danced through about 8 of their team and smashed in the roof of the net in front of our masses!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I last saw him in a fish and chip shop queue outside Roots Hall. Always in my memory for that goal at Brentford. I was smoking a cigar at the time and it shot out of my mouth.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
My fav Nelson memory. That absolute cracker at Brentford. Danced through about 8 of their team and smashed in the roof of the net in front of our masses!

No no, it was more than eight. I think it was 14, although he did some of them twice.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Great player and great goals - my first season of success following the Albion was the 85/86 (or was it 86/87). Never forget a brilliant goal scored by him in the South stand goal against one of the Bristol clubs at a muddy Goldstone, every time I remember it he is further out - currently he is just in Hove Park! Did it make it to video, we are spoiled these days with regards to this aspect of the game.

I've mentioned this before...but SURELY someone MUST remember THAT goal he scored at Brentford in the cup?? He claims it was the best he ever scored, it's certainly one of the best i've seen, so i tend to believe him! I couldn't of been the only one there that posts on here can I??

Alas, it was never caught on camera in the days before all games were filmed...shame, as it truly was a wonder goal :bowdown:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
You beat me to it jasetheace. It is still my all time favorite Albion goal. May be not the most important, but definitely the best imo. I think that was the same game that Kieth Dublin went over the advertising boards, and was getting hit by the Brentford morons.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
You beat me to it jasetheace. It is still my all time favorite Albion goal. May be not the most important, but definitely the best imo. I think that was the same game that Kieth Dublin went over the advertising boards, and was getting hit by the Brentford morons.

f*** me...at last someone remembers!

D

Deleted member 2719

How exciting i am more excited about him being there than the match.

:banana::banana::banana:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How exciting i am more excited about him being there than the match.

:banana::banana::banana:

I know what you mean :lolol:

I'm normally a bit meh with the half time guests, usually go inside to warm up or get food, but tomorrow I intend to wait for Sir Garry and give him the reception he merits.

A thoroughly nice man (as I write, hea typing away on Twitter, replying to dozens of Albion fans who've tweeted him, & sounding genuinely excited to be coming to the game), and a bona fide Albion legend. That 30 goal season in 1987-88 is my first memory of us having a genuinely prolific striker.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I loved nelson & loved the goals at brentford and arsenal in the f.a cup,but the goal i remember him most for was the first game of the following season having been promoted against Bradford when he scored after about 5 mins in front of the north stand.i will never forget that goal even though we went on to lose 3.1.

D

Deleted member 2719

I know what you mean :lolol:

I'm normally a bit meh with the half time guests, usually go inside to warm up or get food, but tomorrow I intend to wait for Sir Garry and give him the reception he merits.

A thoroughly nice man (as I write, hea typing away on Twitter, replying to dozens of Albion fans who've tweeted him, & sounding genuinely excited to be coming to the game), and a bona fide Albion legend. That 30 goal season in 1987-88 is my first memory of us having a genuinely prolific striker.

Yes, what a striker i can remember the Northstand going mental every time he scored, i loved the eighties.

:rave:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Brentford away. When he got the ball he was boxed in by the left touchline about half-way inside the opposition half facing the wrong way. The best you would hope for would be to win a throw in...but Garry did a Cruyff-style turn followed by a body swerve that took out 3-4 players. He was then heading in-field for goal, taking out more players along the way. The run itself was almost the stuff of legends.. but just before he reached the penalty area he unleashed a screaming shot into the angle between the crossbar and post to the keeper's right. He then turned and ran to the Albion fans on the side with a look of utter joy and disbelief on his face. 25 years ago..but that is how I remember it..and it's still the best Albion goal I have ever seen... and I'll never forget the look on his face.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Brentford away. When he got the ball he was boxed in by the left touchline about half-way inside the opposition half facing the wrong way. The best you would hope for would be to win a throw in...but Garry did a Cruyff-style turn followed by a body swerve that took out 3-4 players. He was then heading in-field for goal, taking out more players along the way. The run itself was almost the stuff of legends.. but just before he reached the penalty area he unleashed a screaming shot into the angle between the crossbar and post to the keeper's right. He then turned and ran to the Albion fans on the side with a look of utter joy and disbelief on his face. 25 years ago..but that is how I remember it..and it's still the best Albion goal I have ever seen... and I'll never forget the look on his face.
Totally this........in fact this post sums the goal up so well it should be read out tomorrow for Nelse to comment on.

He really is a Brighton legend for those that witnessed the 87/88 season.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Me too....i remember there must of been a few thousand Albion at that one, down the side and behind the goal, he started his run just in front of us, and i remember watching frozen in disbelief as he jinked towards the goal, then going mental when he slammed it home!

I can honestly say i've NEVER celebrated a goal like i did that day...one of my best away days ever....pure class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here