Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tommy sold behind poyets back

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Akubuine moves up to number 4...

EDIT forgot vincelot.

EDIT is he really a centre back? Hes played in midfield last couple of development games... the mystery continues.

Last edited:

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
Shame, he and his brother both did well for Albion. When Gus arrived I think Tommy lost a bit of confidence he seemed less comfortable playing out from back. He started with Butters etc and was more used to playing channel balls. Good luck to him lets hope he makes a good recovery and doesn't end up like Hinsh. Not sure about being sold behind Gus's back, does sound as though the money men are insisting on a balanced budget before anyone else comes in..... Who could be next out I guess the 2 beginning with H, although both injured.....

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Shame, he and his brother both did well for Albion. When Gus arrived I think Tommy lost a bit of confidence he seemed less comfortable playing out from back. He started with Butters etc and was more used to playing channel balls. Good luck to him lets hope he makes a good recovery and doesn't end up like Hinsh. Not sure about being sold behind Gus's back, does sound as though the money men are insisting on a balanced budget before anyone else comes in..... Who could be next out I guess the 2 beginning with H, although both injured.....

Even by our standards can't believe Tommy was consuming much more than a tiny % of the wage bill. Reckon we do need some off the books though and have to believe that all the while we have the 3 or 4 obvious candidates for off loading then the sort of fella we really want and need will be out of reach

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We can't keep 'em all, and he had slipped down the pecking order because of his injury. I wish him all the best, him and Cook will make a formidable pair.

that. good luck to him.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

I think it's more of a case of sharpening the squad up. A few I am sure will go, including a gk, but I feel this had nothing to do with the striker... I think its simply a case of negotiations...in the end something or someone will have to give.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

Or far more likely what has happened is exactly as Gus said it would happen. He told them where the all stood. He told those who were very unlikely to get a game that that was the case. He said they were more than welcome to stay, there would be no problems, the club would honour their contracts and they could continue to train with the first team OR if they wanted to further their careers and actually wanted to play first team football perhaps they might like to look for another club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Or far more likely what has happened is exactly as Gus said it would happen. He told them where the all stood. He told those who were very unlikely to get a game that that was the case. He said they were more than welcome to stay, there would be no problems, the club would honour their contracts and they could continue to train with the first team OR if they wanted to further their careers and actually wanted to play first team football perhaps they might like to look for another club.

This is more likely what has happened and ties in with the official press release. Gary Elphick is on Twitter & looking at exchanges between him and Tommy, there's no hint of any problems.

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Elphick Cherries Switch

Gus Poyet said, "Having given Tommy a one-year contract towards the end of last season, he has come back from a major injury in pre-season and proved himself.

"However, he is keen to play regular first-team football and with Gordon Greer, Lewis Dunk and Adam El-Abd all vying for those positions, we cannot guarantee him that.

"I understand he wants to play, and not sit in the stands and therefore I thank him for his service to the club and wish him the very best with Bournemouth in the future."
Chairman Tony Bloom added, "Tommy has been with the club since he was a schoolboy, and I am sure it was not an easy decision for him to leave.

"We have seen him rise up through the ranks, and he has been a magnificent servant to the club at youth and senior level, playing a significant part in the four years leading up to the club's promotion to the Championship in May 2011, just before his terrible injury.

"He is a shining example to youngsters off the pitch with the work he's undertaken as part of the club's schools project and Albion in the Community.

"On behalf of all Albion supporters I'd like to thank Tommy for his contribution to the club and wish him all the best for the future."

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Poyet said: “I think it is a great move for Tommy Elphick the footballer, the professional and the person.

“I am sure it was very tough for him but I think right now it was the right decision for his future.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

How is making 2 appearances considered as doing well for the Albion?

As for Tommy, he is well down the pecking order and is a good move for him and the Albion. We gave him the security of a new contract when he was injured but this also enabled us to collect a fee once he proved his fitness.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It was one wasn't it? Got sent off, thanks to Kitson and gave away a penalty.

That 5-1 reverse was a bitter pill to swallow. Cracking goal from CKR though.

I have a feeling he got sent off in his first two games for St Albans as well. His first three appearances and three reds.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bergkamp not his signing, elphick sold behind his back, and still he stays with us when supposedly wanted by premier league teams or former premier league teams who will have the massive budgets that we can't provide and he wants? Either some things are being at least over stated, if not made up, or Gus is a spineless chump to accept being dicked around by the club. I know what I think is most likely.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Bergkamp not his signing, elphick sold behind his back, and still he stays with us when supposedly wanted by premier league teams or former premier league teams who will have the massive budgets that we can't provide and he wants? Either some things are being at least over stated, if not made up, or Gus is a spineless chump to accept being dicked around by the club. I know what I think is most likely.

Gus is having to wheel N deal as does any other manager,to create/optimise a budget-perhaps Gus is unhappy with Tommy's decision as he rates him highly,that's all,yet fully appreciative of the fact that he has been out for a long time/the players decision too and even now we have full backs that can play central if required,therefore he has to trim the squad to some degree and perhaps Tommy was higher up on his retained list in some way.

As for Gus not pulling the strings,i am with you,i can't see it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here