Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tommy Elphick

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm sure Gus will always planning to bring Greer back in, but two things in particular swung it:

1. Elphick was outmuscled by Fletcher when he came on, coping to a degree but the handball was a direct result of that. Greer looks stronger.

2. Although Gus defended the players and had a go at the moaning fans, he was probably also disappointed at the triangles between El-Abd, Elphick and Ankergren like some on here, and the delayed distribution forward from Elphick. Having not seen it I can't really comment but it sounded like Greer is more comfortable on the ball and was better at moving it forward against Charlton (and I assume that is one reason why Gus targeted him in the summer)

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I was surprised when I got to the game on Saturday and found Greer had replaced Elphick, but having given it some thought it's perhaps not quite the shock it first seemed.

Both Elphick and El Abd have been playing well, but Elphick in the last couple of games has been the weaker (not to say he was bad) of the two, and maybe the Bournemouth equaliser swung it a bit for Poyet, no matter how bad a refereeing decision that was.

I do fel sorry for Elphick having missed out after one seven out of ten performance (as opposed to El Abd who was an eight or nine) but Poyet has always been very clear that he swaps things around regularly as he sees fit, and so far it's working brilliantly. None of our players can honestly feel they have an automatic right to selection, and it's a good thing.

Let's be honest, Poyet completely threw Charlton by leaving Lua Lua on the bench. They planned for it, they organised their tactics for it, and then Gus went and dropped the bomb, leaving them all at sea. And then brought on Lua Lua late on just to take the piss a bit.

I'm sure Elphick was disappointed, but if he's the professional that I think he is, then he'll take it the right way and react accordingly. He'll also know that what happened to him could just as easily happen to the other centre halves, and so he'll get another chance soon enough. For what it's worth, I think Poyet was handsomely proved right by the performances of Greer and El Abd.

Seriously, with the brilliant Dunk in the wings too, how well off are we for quality centre halves at the moment? :bowdown:
.....is absolutely spot on !.......how long before a bigger fans forum comes in for you.?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It's early days for Greer, we've only seen one and a bit games from him, but that is the impression I got from him on Saturday. I'll reserve a judgement for the longer term, but I liked what I saw in that game, and let's hope he carries on that way :thumbsup:

He's also massive, which has got to be an asset- El Abd wins his fair share of the ball but is only 5'10" I think, not much fun when you're playing against some fat old HGV like Steve Fletcher.

Judging by Swindon's leaky defence and Wilson going public saying he is in the market for an experienced defender i can safely say Greer is going to be massive for us.Our defence has just got even tighter.

braveheart

Jul 26, 2004
"I would the say the thing Greer does best is exude reassurance/confidence. He looks in control all the time, which you can't say about Tommy, especially with the ball at his feet".

i would agree with this, plus i thought he brought or played the ball into midfield quicker and this meant less time spent playing the ball across the back line. I thought that as a result of this, we got the ball into attacking positions quicker, but still without just pumping it forward.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think Elphick and El-abd will definitely be the inter-changeables this year, based on Saturday Greer is our rock at the back

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Did everyone miss the FOUR free headers Greer allowed his marker in the first 20 minutes?

A great performance from everyone but lets not go over the top. Elphick had a slight knock, so Greer came in and player well.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
.....is absolutely spot on !.......how long before a bigger fans forum comes in for you.?
:lolol: Yeah, I've heard a rumour that WACCOE have already made an approach to Bozza ...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Did everyone miss the FOUR free headers Greer allowed his marker in the first 20 minutes?

A great performance from everyone but lets not go over the top. Elphick had a slight knock, so Greer came in and player well.
Lets not forget that Greer hasn't played a full 90 mins for us yet untill the other day.I put that down to match sharpness.
I'm probably being premature in singing his praises but Poyet was desperate to sign him and Swindon fans raved about him.I think that tells his own story.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don't get me wrong - I think he will be good when he gets match fit, but he was no better than Elphick at the weekend.

I wouldn't write Tommy off just yet.

A great position to be in - three good centre backs and Dunk coming through.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I'd like to say that I remain committed to NSC, and while I like any other contributor am ambitious to play for one of the top clubs, neither I nor my agent have asked for a move. I have certainly had no contact with Harry Redknapp nor have I been offered any kind of enticing, high value contract or inducements, and I know that Harry, being the honest man that he is, would certainly never stoop to any shady, under-the-table approaches either, so I remain 110% committed to this Brighton & Hove Albion forum until I am told otherwise by the board. Sniff.

Harry Redknapp, 1030 press conference:
"Krabappel? Well we've 'ad a look, sure, she's a poster who we'd be interested in, sure, but Brighton say she's not for sale so that's that, I don't go around tapping up posters, that's not my game, and I certainly wouldn't disrespect NSC or Brighton & Hove Albion by publicly sta'ing that I'd like to sign her even though I would very much. So one million percent it's a no go, sure, I don't know why you lot start stupid rumours like that, in fact fack off, all of yer, fack off. Fackin' wheeler dealer, my arse. Fackin' twats the lot of yer"

[Tomorrow, 1030am: SpursNet unveil signing of EK :bigwave:]

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Don't get me wrong - I think he will be good when he gets match fit, but he was no better than Elphick at the weekend.

I wouldn't write Tommy off just yet.

A great position to be in - three good centre backs and Dunk coming through.

You won't see me writing off my favorite Albion player.Elphick is a tower of strength for us.:thumbsup:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nobody is writing off Elphick, to be fair. We all think he was probably a shade unlucky to be dropped, but I also think most of us can understand why it happened.

We drew two games we should have won, our manager has the ability to go beyond sentiment and be ruthless about that, and it paid dividends. It's GREAT.

Elphick will be back, he's too good not to.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No, Greer did knock some lovely passes. Certainly a positive first full game.

Just seems a lot of Brighton fans big up the flavour of the week and talk down whoever they replace in the team.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
As I said, because he was still tender from the week before.
You might have inside info but i'm going to say you might be wrong with your assumption on this.If that was the case why was he on the bench if he was carrying a knock? Surely Dunk would have been selected?
I personally think he was dropped and nothing more.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No, Greer did knock some lovely passes. Certainly a positive first full game.

Just seems a lot of Brighton fans big up the flavour of the week and talk down whoever they replace in the team.

I was the one that started the Greer Appreciation thread after the game, but I made it clear that it was hard on Tommy to miss out, as he's a tower at the back,BUT, and it's a big but, Greer brings so much composure and confidence of the ball. We rarely got stuck in the triangles at the back on Saturday

Against Bournemouth they only needed to put s little pressure on Tommy and he would panic (not the right word I know) and either try a mad pass to a marked player, pass it back to El Abd or try a hopeful long ball. Greer has the composure to hold onto the ball, dummy the on-rushing player and walk through into the gap and start a forward move.

He is a captain in every way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here