Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tommy Elphick

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The only constant this season is Painter.

not Ankergren, Calderon and Bennett? I'm surprised.

Greeer did make some mistakes in the first half hour missing a few headers and misplacing some passes but that shouldn't be unexpected given his lack of game time. When he settled he earned the plaudits he is recieving. I am sure Elphick had a slight knock - I don't think it will have taken much to persuade Gus to switch for this game in particular as, tactically, Parkinson will have seen the Bournemouth game and planned accordingly to counter a slow and steady passing game. Indeed Gus was at pains to say in the press that this is exactly how we would play. He then mugged them by bringing in Greer who finds a forward pass much more quickly, and by switching to a midfield diamond with Sparrow and Dicker rotating to ensure there was always a passing option available. Very, very clever.

Bringing LuaLua on at the end was just rubbing their noses in it having been out thought and subsequently outplayed.

I think Greer is now likely to be a permanent fixture bar injuries and suspensions. Noticeably Calderon, relieved of the responsibilities of captaincy, was able to get forward with more freedom.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Until saturday, only Elphick and Painter had played every minute of every game. Now it's only Painter.

Every other player has been dropped at some point (either tactical, or injury/suspension induced).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If Sparrow hadn't scored the fourth goal, Elphick had been called back from warming up to be subbed to waste time. I saw Tanno beckoning to him just as extra time was given.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
If Sparrow hadn't scored the fourth goal, Elphick had been called back from warming up to be subbed to waste time. I saw Tanno beckoning to him just as extra time was given.

I really don't think we were in a position to need to make time wasting subs in the 90th minute and being 3-0 up

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I really don't think we were in a position to need to make time wasting subs in the 90th minute and being 3-0 up

Every manager would do it, it's not so much that he feared losing, just that we had the points, a clean sheet, and it disrupts the other team and lessens the chance of them getting a consolation and ruining the clean sheet while our team switch off.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Could it be that now as a squad there are more players match fit, so gus can pick the starting 11 more tactically than before as opposed to being limited to who is fit enough. Pretty sure he said something along those lines in his interview after the game on saturday.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Until saturday, only Elphick and Painter had played every minute of every game. Now it's only Painter.

Every other player has been dropped at some point (either tactical, or injury/suspension induced).

Is that because we don't have an option at left back apart from Whingy ??

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If this thread has highlighted anything it's how f***ing good our defence is. Conceeded 2 in 7 games and have too many in form and quality center backs than we know what to do with. :albion1:

This is such an exciting season. If we pick up 6 points in the next two games I think I'll cry. I'd be over the moon with 4 tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here