Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tommy Elphick - Is it just me?

or is he playing rubbish at the mo

He was a really good e ncouraging prospect last season, but this season he has been a bit rank. Could it be time for a change and a Hawkins Butters-esque rehabillitaton?

still - confident he can have a really good second half

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's limited, that's all.

In a game where we need to do a lot of defending - winning headers, blocking shots, etc he does a great job [see St.Mary's, etc]

In a game where we have a lot of posession and he's asked to play his part in ball retention and distribution - less able.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
He went downhill rapidly once Dean Wilkins was given the heave-ho.
Should be a major player for us, has the ability but needs to sort his confidence out.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
For a start I wish he would start playing Dickeresque style passes instead of the Hoddlesque ones which he seems to fail at continuously.
Would also love him to try and forget his obligatory first minute lunge. There are ways of stamping ones authority without a leading to a booking.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Probably right there Large One, i think we could do with another butter-esque to get him back on track. Still has the potential to be a good player

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I'm going to challenge that and say he went downhill rapidly once Guy Butters was given the heave-ho.

I know that they went at basically the same time, but I hope you get my drift.
Agree. Elphick is fine as the junior partner who's told what to do and where to go by a senior defender like Butters, but he should really have 'grown up' a bit by now. His distribution is shocking and he has a tendency to give away a free kick just outside the box in each half by trying to get away with a crafty shove in the back of a forward. I'd really like him to become the senior centre half but sadly I don't think he has the brains for it. If we're going to get a proper, experienced centre half in I'd rather see Tunnicliffe alongside him now.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'm going to challenge that and say he went downhill rapidly once Guy Butters was given the heave-ho.

I know that they went at basically the same time, but I hope you get my drift.

Personally disagree Lynch and Elphick were superb towards the end of that season once Lynch had come in for Butters. Elphick has gone backwards fast since Adams came back but has looked to becoming the old player on a few occasions just needs to do it consistently.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I've noticed he tries to play a Hoddle-esque 60 yard diagonal wonder pass about 6 times a game..which invariably goes into touch. Great for Rugby territory, but really he just needs to keep it a bit more simple until he gets some confidence back.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think he's working through a dodgy spell and has shown improvement of late. Too soon to write him off just yet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everybody keeps on about an experienced centre back, myself included, but both he and Virgo have played well over 100 games each so they are not novices anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here