Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Brighton

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
So you think we should just go into the transfer market and pick the first Gillingham reject who has done well in the Scottish second divison? Surely we learnt our lesson with Turinezo? I couldnt get a flying f*** how long we take as long as we get the right player but Tom Brighton was not that 20 goal striker we are looking for.

Again... how do you know Mr Brighton won't make it?... answer = you don't, nor do I...

As far not caring how long we take... we will miss out on the best acquisitions again if we don't join the game early enough... we make the same mistake year-in, year-out... do you not agree?... don't you think other clubs move more quickly and successfully in the summer to get players in?... even MM makes the point that we need to get going on this as soon as possible... maybe he's learnt his lesson this time round... who knows?...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
B.W. said:
Again... how do you know Mr Brighton won't make it?... answer = you don't, nor do I...

As far not caring how long we take... we will miss out on the best acquisitions again if we don't join the game early enough... we make the same mistake year-in, year-out... do you not agree?... don't you think other clubs move more quickly and successfully in the summer to get players in?... even MM makes the point that we need to get going on this as soon as possible... maybe he's learnt his lesson this time round... who knows?...

But you've just contradicted yourself on this. Nobody knows if Brighton will make it at this level, and we aren't prepared to take that chance. As for not moving early enough, we have, and we've decided we are not going to take him.

The bigger issue is, why were we prepared to pay 100,000 for him in January, and yet decide no when he is available for sod all.

For me, it raises serious questions about how serious we ever were about him, and the PR exercise the club was undertaking at that point in time.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Seagull73 said:
But you've just contradicted yourself on this. Nobody knows if Brighton will make it at this level, and we aren't prepared to take that chance. As for not moving early enough, we have, and we've decided we are not going to take him.

The bigger issue is, why were we prepared to pay 100,000 for him in January, and yet decide no when he is available for sod all.

For me, it raises serious questions about how serious we ever were about him, and the PR exercise the club was undertaking at that point in time.

Or maybe in january he said, f*** no i'm not playing for you.... hence we left it ?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Seagull73 said:

It appeared to be a PR exercise at the time and does now, Clyde were never going to accept less than 250k it was just to show willing.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:

Your quite right I dont have a clue if he would have made it or not but it certainly isn't worth the risk when he could end up like Turienzo. I do agree that we make a few mistakes and miss on a couple of players that we could have got hold of, but saying that who knows we weren't trying to get hold of Byfield, Brighton ect.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Seagull73 said:

Where is the contracdiction in what I said?... you agree that we don't know whether Mr Brighton will make it... moving quickly in the transfer market means deciding who you are going to sign quickly, and then going after them quickly and, hopefully, getting the contract signed quickly... where is the evidence we have done that in recent seasons?... I agree with you that it is starnge that we have now decided that it is not worth pursuing T Brighton, but maybe we just know we won't get him?...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
After Relegation was confirmed after the Wed game Mcghee, Knight etc should have made a list of the players that were out of contract and they wanted. They should have then signed those players on pre contract deals. There was a month at the end of the season where the club fart arsed around with new contracts and the like which could have been used in a more positive way regarding the coming season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
Your quite right I dont have a clue if he would have made it or not but it certainly isn't worth the risk when he could end up like Turienzo. I do agree that we make a few mistakes and miss on a couple of players that we could have got hold of, but saying that who knows we weren't trying to get hold of Byfield, Brighton ect.

Yes... true... I guess the perception I have is that we are not good at getting players in... MM even admitted at one point last season that things needed to improve at the club in this area... I still have no evidence that improvements have been made... cynical maybe... but I now need to be convinced that we can do well in the transfer market WRT acquisitions... I guess we will know how we are doing by the end of the summer?... :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
I would have thought Clyde would have taken a lot less than 250k since they knew he was leaving for nought in the summer.

I agree 100%... DK even made a comment that Clyde would get zero for him in the summer, and he couldn't understand why they had not accepted our alleged offer...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
After Relegation was confirmed after the Wed game Mcghee, Knight etc should have made a list of the players that were out of contract and they wanted. They should have then signed those players on pre contract deals. There was a month at the end of the season where the club fart arsed around with new contracts and the like which could have been used in a more positive way regarding the coming season.

I agree with the sentiment of that... obviously, we would not have got all our targets... but we never seem to be proactive in getting players in, and this is what p1sses me off...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:
Yes... true... I guess the perception I have is that we are not good at getting players in... MM even admitted at one point last season that things needed to improve at the club in this area... I still have no evidence that improvements have been made... cynical maybe... but I now need to be convinced that we can do well in the transfer market WRT acquisitions... I guess we will know how we are doing by the end of the summer?... :)

I agree, I think the end of last season showed how hard we were trying to get players (allegedly) GNW, Dichio, Shipperly, Brighton, Rasiak and im sure there were alot of others I read about.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
B.W. said:
I agree with the sentiment of that... obviously, we would not have got all our targets... but we never seem to be proactive in getting players in, and this is what p1sses me off...

It fucks me off aswell to be honest I hate us missing out on players as much as the next but I dont know how hard we have been trying to get players, most are going to pick Millwall over us. If someone like Igoe or Gray go to somewhere Swindon or Scunthorpe then I will be very very annoyed.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DAMANCLAY said:
It fucks me off aswell to be honest I hate us missing out on players as much as the next but I dont know how hard we have been trying to get players, most are going to pick Millwall over us. If someone like Igoe or Gray go to somewhere Swindon or Scunthorpe then I will be very very annoyed.

I agree about the Millwall thing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think we all agree!!... if only LI would join in, then we could have a proper argument... :)

Seagull73 said:

I would put forward two feasible explanations:

1) that we put in a bid for Brighton when the January window was running out after exhausting all other avenues. It's no secret that we had tried many strikers before him and he wasn't top of our list to start out with. That constraint in no longer there for the time being, again we can look for better than him now (or as good as him but cheaper).

2) The Bosman player can usually use his free price-tag to up his wages considerably. This could be what Brighton's agent has done with Millwall, who remain among the top payers in our league as their infrastructure remains among the best. Our initial talks with Brighton's agent this time round might have simply priced us out.

I think these are more likely explanations than your elaborate conspiracy theory of Dick Knight hoodwinking the fans back in January. I really think you need to come up with better facts to support that rather than tarnishing the name of a chairman who has done wonders for this club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
I would put forward two feasible explanations:

1) that we put in a bid for Brighton when the January window was running out after exhausting all other avenues. It's no secret that we had tried many strikers before him and he wasn't top of our list to start out with. That constraint in no longer there for the time being, again we can look for better than him now (or as good as him but cheaper).

2) The Bosman player can usually use his free price-tag to up his wages considerably. This could be what Brighton's agent has done with Millwall, who remain among the top payers in our league as their infrastructure remains among the best. Our initial talks with Brighton's agent this time round might have simply priced us out.

I think these are more likely explanations than your elaborate conspiracy theory of Dick Knight hoodwinking the fans back in January. I really think you need to come up with better facts to support that rather than tarnishing the name of a chairman who has done wonders for this club.

Oh, come on LI, you can do better than that... a logical well-argued response that I am tempted to agree with... why can't you try and defend the indefencible like you normally do?... or, better, go for full-on arrogance and make condescending comments about just about everyone else's contributions... go on... you know you want to... :)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Caveman said:
Todays Argus...

"McGhee has ruled out renewing his interest in Tom Brighton, the young forward he tried to buy from Clyde last season. "

I wonder why?

Take it you didn't read the rest of the thread Caveman? :lolol:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
London Irish said:

I said it raised serious questions, I wasn't making any accusations or statements.

Besides, even if it was a conspriacy theory, it's hardly elaborate is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here