Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Matchday Programme

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think the non glossy finish is actually meant to be better quality, a little more sophisticated than a bog standard glossy finish. I'll leave it to NSC print experts, but is that not a matt varnish on the cover? Having said that, the size reduction is obviously a cost cutting excersise, but it does go in your pocket better.

It feels like a matt varnish finish, but there's not a huge cost difference between matt and gloss finish, and I think that still perfectly fine. However, I suppose every penny counts.

I thought the print quality was pretty good and, if it's the same people as have been doing it for a few years now, I'm not surprised.

I was just a little underwhelmed with the imagination that went into the design. But then I would say that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Am I alone in thinking it was quite good. I've read it cover to cover and enjoyed it. Plus unlike many progs. it wasn't filled with adverts! Go to a Wembley game of any sorts pay a lot of dosh and end up with 3 pages of info and 30 pages of pointless adverts.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I don't think anyone is knocking the content. For years now the content has been exceptionally good...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't know about anyone else but I would like to be able to purchase a PDF programme (electronic copy via the Internet for the techno challenged). If they could get that sorted at around £1.50 or so then it could produce a decent revenue stream.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't know about anyone else but I would like to be able to purchase a PDF programme (electronic copy via the Internet for the techno challenged). If they could get that sorted at around £1.50 or so then it could produce a decent revenue stream.

That's a good idea - I'd be up for that (although I think £1.50 is a bit steep for something that costs very little to set up).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What? You'd begrudge paying a mere £1.50 to the club we all love?? How much have you been pouring into the Albion's coffers lately? /QUOTE]

But much of the content of the programme (stats, info on visitors etc) can already be obtained elsewhere, so £1.50 is a lot of maybe three or four articles.

I don't go to many Albion games these days as I can't afford it but I would be interested in reading some other features but not at that price.

There is a recession on you know and people are feeling the pinch... I know I am.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

No way. If you actually broke down what is in the programme £3 is a rip off, and even at £1.50 I'm not sure I'd bother with it. The only reason to buy one for me is because it's nice to have one at the match, something to flick through on the train, to check opposition squad, and for the collectability of them.

Taking account of the fact that last season's programme was 68 pages, on bigger paper, and Saturday's effort was 52 x A5 pages ... we got 40 per cent less programme for the same £3 price.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I thought it was CRAP.

First game of the season, lots of activityin the transfer market with new players, a new chairman......the survival of the last game.......and all they produce is a glorified fanzine sized overpriced tosh.

Wheres a detailed description of the newplayers?

If the programme was £1.50 then it was fine.....but for £3 its a complete rip-off.......I only bought it as my dad came to the game with me and he wanted one...

That will be the last one I buy this season.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I thought it was CRAP.

First game of the season, lots of activityin the transfer market with new players, a new chairman......the survival of the last game.......and all they produce is a glorified fanzine size overpriced tosh.

Wheres a detailed description of the newplayers?

If the programmewas £1.50 then it was fine.....but for £3 its a complete rip-off.......I only bought it as my dad came to the game with me and he wanted one...

That will be the last one I buy this season.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I bought one and found one so effectively got 2 for £3 and it still wasn't good value. Add to others' comments about the font size, Far Too Bloody hard to read, especially the 'How do I buy tickets?' piece-must have been 6 or 8 point font. Maybe if I'd listened to my parents when I was kid I might have been able to read it easier.

Sorry Albion, I won't bother buying another one until our next influx of players (and only then so I can identify them).

Looks to me to be change for change's sake, and it hasn't worked-for me anyway.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Taking account of the fact that last season's programme was 68 pages, on bigger paper, and Saturday's effort was 52 x A5 pages ... we got 40 per cent less programme for the same £3 price.

Thats negative spin using paper count and size to infer the content was less.:(

what was the word count ? small font was used to cram more in whilst saving the trees.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
It's isn't just word count though, is it? There's picture content to take account of (and I know I'm biased but why use such technically poor pic of Russell Slade?) and advertising to take account of. There was some very interesting stuff in this first matchday programme of the season but the font was ridiculously small. Given that the first reading of the programme is usually at the ground, in iffy weather and not always the best light, you really don't need 6pt type to struggle with!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No way. If you actually broke down what is in the programme £3 is a rip off, and even at £1.50 I'm not sure I'd bother with it. The only reason to buy one for me is because it's nice to have one at the match, something to flick through on the train, to check opposition squad, and for the collectability of them.

If you take into account all the costs associated with putting the programme together, £3.00 is probably not a 'rip-off' - it just seems a shame that they've had to go on this cost-cutting exercise in order to produce what they have.

I'd be extremely confident of the club returning to form on its programme quality come Falmer.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
There are nine full-page ads in the programme, out of 52 pages.

That's pretty good - 43 pages of content.

As for Mark McGhee looking like Terry Hall. Don't think so!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here