Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's LOVE or HATE debate : Rod Stewart

Icy Gull said:
Mid sixties was the Small Faces with the massively better Stevie Marriott as lead singer. I believe Rod was asked to join when Marriott left and that wasn't until late 60's early 70's?

In the sixties, Rod did indeed live on a Shoreham houseboat briefly. The same boat was later apparently cited by local police for health issues (in other words the hippies wore their hair too long so must've be dirty). There was probably a little grass smoking below decks, so it was towed out of the mooring and burned like in some medeival witch-hunt. Rod Stewart was long gone before that. He had also been to France and promptly been chucked out (deported) for some kind of vagrancy (or getting drunk). The French didn't go much on hippies either!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have no problem with him other than he's plastic scottish, or was that made up?.

Some of his stuff I like a lot, some I don't like very much but on the whole gets an ok from me.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Agree he's done some dodgy stuff, but also some great work.
Credit where it's due, a great entertainer, and puts on a show.
I played against him and the Exciles in 1988 while with British Caladonian, somewhere around Van Nuys. Afterwards we all went to Charlie Browns for beer and grub, and he was just one of the lads. Had pics. autographs done no problem. Loves his beer, loves his footie, loves his women. Top bloke and picked up the tab too. [Very unjock like]

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I saw him at the Brighton Centre and he put on a good show.

The Large One said:
Should have done a POLL really, shouldn't I? :jester:

BTW: NMH, I Could Feel The Whole World Turn Round is a superb track, I'd actually forgotten about that. He was only 19 at the time too.

19? really? That was in 1966, so his first single 'Good Morning Little Schoolgirl' must have been made at 17. I have a feeling he had little Jimmy Page playing guitar - an accomplished performance whoever it is.
Page was playing on records since 15! His debut was on 'Diamonds' by Jet Harris and Tony Meehan. That's also him playing on The Kinks' "All Day and All The Night" and The Who's "I Can't Explain"

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
NMH said:
19? really? That was in 1966, so his first single 'Good Morning Little Schoolgirl' must have been made at 17. I have a feeling he had little Jimmy Page playing guitar - an accomplished performance whoever it is.
Page was playing on records since 15! His debut was on 'Diamonds' by Jet Harris and Tony Meehan. That's also him playing on The Kinks' "All Day and All The Night" and The Who's "I Can't Explain"
*PEDANT ALERT*

He played rhythym guitar on 'I Can't Explain', but not the lead - that's an urban myth. Apparently, the lead required a fuzzbox which Page didn't own, and Pete Townshend did, and the latter wasn't about to lend his out. Page did play lead on the B-side 'Bald Headed Woman', though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here